Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Green Smoothie Inquiry

First off: Im new Im new Im new. I have no experience with this green smoothie I keep hearing about.

It seems like sometimes just adding spinach or another green into a primarily fruit based smoothie qualifies it as "green"? What are the qualifications?

Can you taste the spinach amongst the other fruit flavors?

I'm scared of this concept because I keep thinking it will have a grass consistency/flavor (if that makes sense)

Any suggestions for a beginner green smoothie? I'm kind of chicken at this point hehe

Comments

• troublesjustabubbletroublesjustabubble Raw Newbie

You've absolutely got it right. It's fruit with greens and some people even add veggies.

You don't taste the greens at all if you use something like spinach which is a really really powerful green. An easy way to start with green smoothies is to make a strawberry/banana smoothie(strawberries, bananas, water) and add greens. If you need it to be sweeter find a good natural sweetener like honey or if you're vegan you can use agave nectar. The greens just color the smoothie and provide nutrients! Not only do you get extra greens this way but you also get them in a blended form so they absorb far better than if you just ate them with your teeth.

Good luck on your journey and enjoy!

• I'm going blender and food processor shopping this weekend (I need to upgrade) Hopefully wonderful things will come of this. I'm definitely going to try the strawberry/banana/spinach idea. Seems safe enough for my newbie self.

Thanks!

• emtpdmomemtpdmom Raw Newbie

Strawberry, banana, spinach was my first green smoothie, 18 months ago, and is still my favorite. I also like kale with this combination. I usually wash, dry and freeze the kale. Since I'm "smoothieing" (is that a word???) for one, a bundle of kale would probably spoil before I used it all. I also seem to remember reading that freezing kale mellows the taste a bit.

• RawKarenRawKaren Raw Newbie

Try orange juice with spinach. (Search for orange julius on this site). If it is still too hard core for your taste, add a banana. Sorry if this is incoherent, I'm mobile.

• troublesjustabubbletroublesjustabubble Raw Newbie

I still drink the strawberry/banana/spinach smoothie too although my ratio's have changed significantly. I go through greens really really fast so I never have a problem with them going bad anymore. Which is nice. ha

I'm on a cleanse at the moment but normally i have at least 50 ounces of green smoothie perday. Sometimes more.

• My favorite mix:

3 cups spinach/kale/chard or other favorite greens

8 oz. sprouted almond milk or water

8 oz. coconut water

1/2 cup frozen, organic cherries

2 Tbsp. Hemp Protein

1 Tbsp. Green Powder

I also add a little maca and mesquite powder. Yum!

• LaEnsaladaLaEnsalada Raw Newbie

I think the best green smoothie for beginners is this one:

1 mango

1/2 a pineapple

1/2 bunch romaine

some ginger (i like to use a lot)

romaine has a very subtle taste so it's good for beginners and the ginger also masks the taste. The combination of pineapple and mango is so tropical and delicious, my mouth is watering right now. I absolutely love this smoothie and it's definitely my favorite!

• My favorite one is mango, frozen blueberries, baby spinach leaves, and water, I love it!!!

• I love mango, frozen banana, coconut water, spinach and pineapple

mango, frozen banana, peach, and spinach is also awesome

• The key to beginning chickens is to keep is simple and fruity and use spinach or romaine as they are the mildest of greens.

Here is a good beginner's recipe:

2 bananas

1/2 cup pineapple

1 handful of spinach

5 fresh dates

16oz of water

Use frozen bananas for that cold slushy feeling.

More about green smoothies here

Enjoy!

• SuasoriaSuasoria Raw Newbie

Romaine and pineapple are a good combo.

Try various combos and various greens, and if you hit on something you don't like, well, plug your nose and gulp it down - and try something different tomorrow!

• swayzeswayze Raw Newbie

The trick is to start small when adding greens, just a handful or two. You don't want the smoothie tasting grassy.

Mangoes, papaya, orange and romaine is really tasty, as well as 5 medium bananas, 1 pint of strawberries and a handful of mint. I prefer my smoothies rather thin so I usually add a few cups of water.

• BTW it's leafy greens you want to use (I wouldn't recommend green beans or broccoli). The book Green for Life is a the definitive book on green smoothies. The following link gives a few recipes to get you going as well as some reasons to consume them daily: http://www.greenforlife.com/ode.htm.