Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Grocery Bills

2»

Comments

• That's exactly what I do. I eat about 75% raw. So, from the time I wake up until dinner (I occasionally finish my daughter's tofu scramble), I typcially eat 100% raw. Dinner is usually cooked with a raw side or juice.

Now I am the primary shopper of a household of 3 (hubby and yr old daughter). I only buy organic foods that have a high pesticide level unless I find it at the farmer's market (celery, spinach, strawberries, potatoes, etc). Thick skinned foods I don't buy organic (broccoli, avocado, banana, etc).

I stock my pantry and fridge for items that will keep for a month at the beginning of the month (nuts, seeds, dates, nutritional yeast, braggs liquid amino, olive oil, dried spices, agave, gluten free pasta, rice, tofu) this is between $100-$150 depending on what I need.

Then about every 5-7 days I spend about $25-$30 on fresh produce.

The only disadvantage is that we go through a ton of commercial soy, almond, and rice milk because my hubby loves cereal and i use it for smoothies sometimes and I mean I have a 1 yr old-so I will exclude the cost of milk. But you're single so let's say you spend a max of $180 and $25 a week on produce that would be about $280. I think that's very reasonable for it to be the max, but I'm pretty sure you won't have to spend that much because I feed my family of 3 on that amount.

• Lilburger - i know what you mean about the processed vegan foods - theyre so expensive, its the reason so many people tell me 'i couldnt afford to eat vegan.'

best way i know to save money -

go to a market and buy in bulk - a box of banana's, or a 5kg bag of spinach, whatever deals you can get, its so much cheaper than buying smaller amounts.

FREEZE the veges - either whole, or made up into smoothies.

semi-defrost the made up smoothies and then chuck them in the blender - icy and delicious!

frozen blended banana's with nut milk is delicious!

(freezing is okay right?)

• sv3sv3 Raw Newbie

Quite alot of people don't agree with freezing as they say it distroys the life force like cooking does. I think it could well be true but hey ho! I personally freeze a few things like berries, bananas, left over dehyrdated stuff, etc.

(But I'm not 100% raw and no purest so it doesn't bother me.)

• springleafspringleaf Raw Newbie

sv3: I work in a laboratory, we use comercially avalible enzymes in our work, we keep them in the freezer, take them out use them and put them back, they work fine doing this 10's of times. A frozen plant will not still be alive because its cell walls burst when it freezes but the enzymes inside the cells are fine. Also cooking creates new and dangerous chemicals - like acrylamide- freezing does not do this.

• luxdivonluxdivon Raw Newbie

Me and my boyfriend go to the store every week and spend $120 a week for two people.

120 x 4 = 480. Divided by 2 = 240.

So I spend $240 a month on groceries. I do supplement at work, but usually that is for splurges. I could live on $250-$300. Especially if i cut out coffee :) I know i don't spend alot more than this on food because I only make $300 a week.

How we do it is this. Today for instance.

Breakfast 2 plums. 3 carrots.

a small handful of cashews.

Water.

Lunch is oftentimes

1 avocado $1.50

1 organic mango $2

1 pepper $1.50

(i cheat and eat corn chips with those =$3.00) $8.00

Lunch is usually the most expensive for me.

Salad for dinner alot

Most of all these are veggies, cheap, and maybe topped with nut/nutrional yeast.

• juicefastfanjuicefastfan Raw Newbie

This is such an interesting thread. I bet it does make a big difference what regions people live in...for example..I live in small town northern Michigan and organic produce is outrageous here because we only have 2 small local-yokel type grocery stores...no department stores to give them a lil competition. However, I have found ways to save in other areas so I put that money into my food budget. I feed myself, my 10 year-old daughter and my 3 year-old son...my 10 month old baby is still almost exclusively nursed, other than some organic live carrot juice here and there...so really, it's a budget for 1 adult and 2 kids...I spend aprox $150.00 a week, but I spend next to nothing on laundry soap, shampoo, toothpastes etc...because I make my own. I buy as much organic as possible, and try to follow guidelines I found on Dr Ben Kim's site as far as pesticide levels in fruits n veggies. If it's a high level pesticide item we do without it until we can get it organically. It does go down during the summer, if we have a good enough summer for my garden to yield anything.