Raw broad beans?

Can you eat broad beans raw - I've read on the internet that sometimes they may be harmful to some people?

Comments

• emtpdmomemtpdmom Raw Newbie

I've never heard of broad beans. Are they unique to a particular area or country? I could not find any reference to eating them in either the Gone Raw recipe or forum database. You might try a Google search and see what you find.

• I eat raw broad beans & they have never caused me any harm!

In England it's broad bean (Vicia faba), the Broad Bean, Fava Bean, Faba Bean, Field Bean, Bell Bean or Tic Bean.

• Thats funny that this thread came up. I eat shelled broad beans raw but just last week someone told me that they're bad for you. I haven't found out why yet but I'll get back to you if/ when I do!

• SuasoriaSuasoria Raw Newbie

For some people of Mediterranean origin, fava beans may trigger favism, a disease like anemia. Is that what you're referring to?

• This is what I found on the wikepedia website

'Raw broad beans contain vicine, isouramil and convicine, which can induce hemolytic anemia in patients with the hereditary condition glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase deficiency (G6PD). This potentially fatal condition is called "favism" after the fava bean.[1][2]

If other people eat these though it would be great as I have loads growing in the garden!