Does Maca have a taste?

I keep seeing Maca listed in recipes etc and wondered if this had a taste? I have barley grass at home and I really can't get on with the taste so I didn't want to buy something if I'm unsure about it!

Comments

• I am curious about this too.....I think I might pick some up this afternoon so if there are no answers, I'll give my opinion.

Also, is maca used as a thickener?

• keewikeewi Raw Newbie

It has a malty taste, goes real good with cacao but don't use too much because it can really take over and won't taste good.

• Yeah, start off with small amounts. It's really good in smoothies, but too much is too much even for me and I've used it for years. I use one teaspoon per smoothie, and that's just right for me to get that nice malty taste, without being too much. Also, I recommend keeping it in the refrigerator or it could develop a stronger taste over time.

I don't think it's a thickener, or if it is, you'd have to use amounts that would result in an over-powering taste.

• springleafspringleaf Raw Newbie

I have some at home that says "peruvian carob" underneath the word maca, and to me it does taste like raw carob that I have had before. I also don't just too much, but a little in with raw cacao powder really rounds out the flavour. I will have to try keeping it in the fridge now that I have learnt that!

• yeah it has a taste but as others have posted, just put it in smoothies and you can hardly taste it. A friend of mine who has recently become interested in superfoods tried to just mix maca and water ( i wouldnt recommend that!! ) and he said it tasted like someone made a powder out of potatoes..lol. Regardless, its a great superfood and you definitely should try it!! =)

• I agree that it's rather matly. I love it in anything chocalatey and put it in all my desserts. It's a little funky with fruit or greens though!