Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

No More Homeschooling - Please Sign the Petition!

J AJ A
in Family

I live in Sweden, Europe, and our government has come up with the incredible idea of forbidding homeschooling in Sweden. It is already difficult as you have to apply for it but now they're proposing to outlaw it! Homeschooling isn't popular in Sweden, mainly out of lack of knowledge, and the few of us are fighting back as hard as we can. To show our government what a huge thing homeshooling is worldwide, Rohus, the organization representing homeschoolers in Sweden, has posted a petition on its website.

Please sign in (it's both in Swedish and English)! We're in desperate need of more names. We won't give up but there are so few of us here.

The petition can be found at:

http://rohus.nu/?Namninsamling

Thanks for your time. We truly appreciate your help!

Comments

• LilEarthMuffinLilEarthMuffin Raw Newbie

I have a couple close friends who are homeschooled - I signed for you

• joannabananajoannabanana Raw Newbie

I signed this, too!! I hope you can make a difference, JA.

• emtpdmomemtpdmom Raw Newbie

Signed and signature verified. But now I have a concern. Hmmmm . . . should have asked this question first. Since this petition is specific to Sweden, what effect do you think signatures from other countries will have on the outcome? Might the inclusion of signatures from persons outside Sweden some how have a negative effect on the review submitted by Rohus?

J A -- Here's my rationale. If a significant portion of the signatures submitted by Rohus are not from Sweden, I wonder if their inclusion might have a "watering down" effect on the work of Rohus. Just thinking here . . .

• J AJ A

Thanks to all of you, awesome! *thumbs up* :-D

It's important to show how big a question this is worldwide. The government knows we are very few but what they haven't realized is that this is a BIG one internationally and will put Sweden to shame internationally if homeschooling is outlawed. Hitler banned homeschooling in Germany 1938 and incredibly they still haven't changed the law - that's where Sweden will belong, right next to Hitler! We'll tell them Sweden will be a shame internationally with all the signatures from other countries. We're also trying to bring some influential speakers from abroad (most likely the US) to give speeches here and to highlight our pressed situation and to point out the fact that homeschooled kids in general have better results than other kids.

The government thinks homeschooling is something right-wing extremists use to brainwash their kids. That's because those are more or less the only homeschoolers to receive any media coverage here! We in Rohus don't know any right-wing extremists among homeschoolers, we're just plain normal parents wanting to give our kids what we believe is the best in terms of education. And what has been proved by research to be a superior form of education! Our government needs to realize 2 million children in the US are homeschooled, but only a minority out of religious reasons (for whatever reasons, our government is very negative to all forms of religion). Most homeschool because they believe it is the best education for their kids and because they love their children and want to give them only the best.

Thank you all, your support is soooo welcome! We might have to leave the country and all our friends here if homeschooling is outlawed, or face repression by the government and the police. Thank you!

• superfood2superfood2 Raw Newbie

I signed it, too, and wonder the effect of a US (or other) citizen's signature.

• superfood2superfood2 Raw Newbie

What would happen if you continued to homeschool? They would find you and arrest you?

What if you had a child using an at-home birth so you never "registered' with the government and they never knew of your child? What then?

• JoyceHJoyceH Raw Newbie

Gosh If I had kids I'd certainly want them to be home-schooled. Public grade school/elementary school was nothing but terribly blurred yet painful memories for me. Children can be so mean and cruel to each other (why is that!!??). And the horrific disgusting school food and incompetent teachers! Yup, I'm in America. No surprise there. Children should not have to endure that kind of abuse. Learning at home sounds so much more safe and productive and non-scarring!

I'm guessing Swedish schools are light years better than our American schools. They must be with the high tax rates over there! But still it's your right to choose how to educate your offspring. I'll gladly sign the petition!

Best wishes from Vermont! :-)

• J AJ A

I'm sure signatures from US citizens are a lot better than no signatures at all. There is a grand total of around 200 homeschooled children in all of Sweden. Including parents we'd maybe get around 400 signatures which simply isn't enough. We do get some non-homeschooling Swedes to sign but very few, homeschooling isn't excessively popular and we're struggling to make our voice heard. We need all help we can get regardless of your country.

Sweden is in some ways an extremely totalitarian society, everything must be registered with the government and life gets really difficult if you aren't registered. Our daughter was almost born at home but our inexperience brought us to the hospital for the last minutes. Our son was born at home. Both are registered which means they have social security numbers, a "passport" which opens all the doors in the society. Without a social security number, you can't rent an apartment or a car, get a job or basically do anything. You're illegal and if the authorities find out about you, they'll arrest you. Unregistered children will likely be taken from their parents by force, unregistered adults likely deported (though don't ask me where).

If the law is passed and homeschooling outlawed, I would suppose we get the same situation as in Germany. German homeschooling families have applied for AND HAVE BEEN GRANTED political asylum in the USA. The same would become true for us in Sweden. Homeschooled children in Germany have been taken from their parents by force by the police. They're doing that using a law passed by Hitler and never changed since then. I should think the few of us homeschooling here will largely emigrate to other countries, however difficult that may be - leaving friends and relatives and moving to a new country with a new language. We don't want to emigrate, all we wish is to be allowed to choose the best form of education for our children, a right every member nation of the United Nations has granted its citizens.

Again, thanks for your support!

• RawKarateGirlRawKarateGirl Raw Newbie

how old do you have to be to sigh?

• J AJ A

• RawKarateGirlRawKarateGirl Raw Newbie

Thanks.

• RawKarenRawKaren Raw Newbie

Signed and verified!

• J AJ A

The link has been changed, it's now

http://rohus.nu/?English_information:Petition

Please use this new link from now on. Thanks everyone!

"The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education." -Albert Einstein

• emtpdmomemtpdmom Raw Newbie

J A -- You might want to edit your reply #1 and add this information there as well. People don't always read the whole thread before trying to respond and might give up when the original link doesn't work. Ideally, I would suggest posting an EDIT to your original post, but I don't think we have that option any more.

Good luck. Hope you are successful in your venture.

• J AJ A

Please sign the homeschooling petition!

EDIT: ***NEW LINK***! Please use this one!

http://rohus.nu/?English_information:Petition

• J AJ A

Thanks emtpdmom, hadn't thought of that.

I sure hope too and believe we will! ;D

• FeeFee Raw Master

Signed - waiting to verify.

• malchusmommalchusmom Raw Newbie

I did sign this for you. =-)

• Signed! Good luck! The more countries who commit this atrocity against our freedoms, the more the U.S. and other counrties will use it to enforce it in other countries! Keep the people dumbed-down, starting with puclic schools, and they are kept ignorant and under control.

• i was very happy to sign this, i love homeschooling my two kids, the eldest tried a state school for two years and granted she made a friend or two but luckily decided to come back to homeschooling. she makes more friends through her extra curricular activites with the added bonus that they share the same interest. what a naughty government to try and take such a parental right away as teaching your own children! bless