I DONT UNDERSAND?? 80/10/10

Hello All

what does those numbers mean?? and what does SAD mean call me ignorgant cause I have no clue what it means?

And how do you figure what number raw verses cooked is and all that little raw vegan slang is.... Please could someone fill me in!

Thanks

Comments

• AVLAVL Raw Newbie

80/10/10 is a ratio of the "categories" of food that you should eat if you follow Dr. Graham's diet. Your diet should consist 80% of carbohydrates, mainly in the form of fruits and some greens. 10% of your diet should be protein, which is included in your greens and some nuts & seeds. Lastly your diet should have 10% fat, which can come from avocado and nuts & seeds.

SAD means standard american diet, which is the "typical" diet most people eat.

I also have difficulty finding out the % ratio of a raw diet. I heard that it's how many calories you eat raw vs. cooked. So for example if you were to eat 1000 calories a day, and 800 calories are eaten raw then your diet would be 80% raw. I think that's right, but not too sure. So don't just base it on what I am saying here. Maybe more experienced people would know more than me.

I hope that this helps a little :)

• swayzeswayze Raw Newbie

Just want to clarify a little bit...

80/10/10 is a minimum of 80% carbs, a maximum of 10% protein, and a maximum of 10% fat. Many people on the diet eat closer to something like 87/7/6, or even 90/5/5 To achieve this, the majority of your calories will come from sweet fruit.

% of raw foods is usually just an estimate. If you eat all raw except for your dinner meal, you would probably be around 75% raw. If you eat all raw except for a weekly divergence meal, you would be 95-99% raw.

If you eat all cooked except for the lettuce on your hamburger, you would around 1% raw. ;)

Swayze

• AVLAVL Raw Newbie

Thanks for clarifying my explanations swayze!

• SuasoriaSuasoria Raw Newbie

Note that not every person on a raw food diet is following the 80/10/10 plan (also sometimes shortened to 811).

• thank you all I understand now!

• J AJ A

80/10/10 is definitely not the mainstream raw food diet, I'd say higher fat (not necessarily HIGH fat maybe 20-40 %) raw food is much more common.

• swayzeswayze Raw Newbie

No problem AVL and christianmom! :)

No, high fruit, low fat raw is not the mainstream at all. It has certainly grown in numbers in just the last couple of years though. Check out 30BAD...over 1000 members now! :)

Swayze