Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Help me get enough calories!

I am seriously undereating. It's always been an issue, but now that I'm raw, it's really bad. I have been eating 1000 or so calories a day, exercising 3-5 days a week. Next week I'll start doing cardio everyday.

How? Let me make it even more challenging - I hate smoothies! I have never been able to eat thick drinks.

So... help!

Thanks - kristi

Comments

• Thanks for the quick response! I was actually coming back to update:

According to this site [url]http://www.freedomfly.net/Articles/Nutrition/nutrition14.htm[/url] I should be eating (basal) 1618.73 and with my current activity level - 2509.02

How am I ever going to get that high??? Is that correct? I know I can reduce that a little, considering I want to lose weight. But how much?

And - if that is true, no wonder I haven't been losing (haven't lost weight since I began working out, but I gained 3 lbs)! Ugh! This does not make me hopeful!

And now to adress your response:

Those are great ideas. I'm not super into bananas, but I could eat about 2 a day max, probably. Adding dates and making puddings are a great idea. I do like avocados, but feel bloated if I eat more than 1 a day.

Another issue is that I get sick of things quickly - An avo a day for a week, and I won't want another for a month. This happens with all foods, including mango and banana. I love persimmon, but they are not in season now and the last time I bought them (not in season) I wasted 10 bucks. they never ripened. Went from hard as rocks to rotten.

Also, excuse me if I sound negative, but I tend to get that way when I feel down about stuff.

• keewikeewi Raw Newbie

The answer is 80/10/10 diet and lots of fruit, like 6-10 pounds depending on what your eating

• That may be the quick & dirty answer, but won't really help. That's basically what I been eating, and by 6 or 8 pm, after only managaing to consume only about 600 by that time, I give up and eat something fatty like an avocado or nut cheese.

I'm a very slow eater, and have never eaten fast. As it is I feel like I eat all day already. I'd be up till 4 in the morning trying to get enough to eat.

• I'm having the same problem. I'm way under what I should be but I'm actually losing a lot of weight. I can go the morning/afternoon on fruits/veggies but in the evening I always go straight for the avocado or cookie veggies to fill my need for that big dinner digestion in my belly. As well as trying to compensate for my low caloric intake during the day. Most days I'm still under my calculated need by 700-1000.

• I have gained 3 pounds in a month.

• keewikeewi Raw Newbie

Its not that hard to eat alot of fruit... It might be hard at first but after awhile its nothing. Your cooked diet has made it hard cus 1 cheeseburger=1000 cals but after awhile it will be no problem at all

• Before this I was vegetarian (sometimes vegan) for 20 years. I've been raw on and off for 5 years - and this is what always gets me - even when I was just vegetarian, I had a hard time getting enough calories.

• Eat some cooked grains! I know that's not ideal, but it's better than bogging your system down with sugar and fat.

• J AJ A

Hey pixiechick, this sounds very interesting - would you care to share your typical diet for these past 20 years?

• Could you eat the smoothies with a spoon-- like a soup? I have to eat anything with tomato-ey smoothie with a spoon or else I get grossed out.

• eating grains and beans have helped me, at least in terms of strength and energy. i dont eat them everyday, but a couple times a week. you cant get sick of it, either; there are so many different grains and legumes and combinations! and you can make a great meal with raw veg mixed in, make a "bowl"

• superfood2superfood2 Raw Newbie

I think sweet fruits are much better to eat than cooked grains. Cooked grains are toxic and acid-forming to the human body.

We can all say, "Rice is better than a cheeseburger," but why not eat the BEST instead of trying to choose the least worst? FRUIT

• swayzeswayze Raw Newbie

pixiechik, you might want to take things really slow for now and let your body transition to the diet. You could simply start by eating only raw sweet fruit for breakfast, as much as you care for. The rest of your day could be vegetarian cooked meals, or whatever you want.

Once you are comfortable with eating enough calories for breakfast (you feel satisfied for 3-5 hours after the meal), you could then move on to only sweet fruit for lunch.

You could also simply try eating mini meals throughout the day until your stomach gets used to the increased volume.

There are many different ways to transition, all of which will make going raw and getting enough calories easier for you.

Best of luck,

Swayze

• wichtenwichten Raw Newbie

try a cacao chia pudding for breakfast- it'll help with those workouts too.

add a sprinkle of nuts to your salads or make some raw dips for your veg.

get creative- you may like some of the raw burgers or nut pates on this site too, a lot of them come together quickly and are pretty dense.

or the 811 route (good luck with that one, i couldnt do it, after banana 3, i thought how can people eat 20 of these a day?- also i gained weight on that too and had horrible teeth/mouth problems but thats a different story)... but so many people here are successful with it, that it could be worth your while.

You don't have to eat a single banana to do 811.

• keewikeewi Raw Newbie

Wichten you can eat any fruit on 811, a typical day for me is 10-15 bananas, 3-4 pounds watermelon, some dates or figs and a large salad at night. It can be any fruit you want tho and there are so many varieties its literally impossible to find one you don't love

i know you dont have to eat bananas or that many, it was just that 811 felt really unbalanced for me. too much sugar. id wake up in the morning and my mouth would feel sticky and sweet, like id fallen asleep with a piece of candy in my mouth, even though id brushed my teeth. I had a general icky feeling not unlike a person eating too much candy. so i think it was just a sugar overload.

I also don't agree with those that say you shouldn't have any fruit (ph miracle type stuff) b/c we are meant to eat it. And really what is better than watermelon in the summer and apples in the fall...

I still eat plenty of fruit, but eating a lot of greens is where i feel optimal. I like to keep my fat intake somewhere around 20-25%, protein at 10-12%, carbs 63-70%. there is my balance.

curious, how long did you do 811 for and what was your fat?

• keewikeewi Raw Newbie

aslong as i eat a big salad at night i feel none of the symptoms you describe. Sounds like your were maybe getting a mild detox

i did 811 by the book for 2 months. my mouth was swollen and bleeding, my gums actually receded a bit once i stopped it. I was also constipated. My fat intake was never really over 10% (i may have hit 12% a couple days) Ive done plenty of detoxing so i know what detox symptoms feel like, this was not it. Ive read a lot of accounts of people losing teeth on high fruit diets. Ill eat burgers before i lose my teeth.

I get all the concepts and i agree with a lot of the 811 philosophies (whole ripe fresh local produce and lots of it, that should be the core) but people need to be less adamant that its the only way to live-- its not. We all should try different things and refine. Find where you fly and thrive.

• Hi everybody! Thanks for the responses. I'll try to address them each in the morning (trouble sleeping tonight! )

I'm sorry if I seemed grouchy last night - I was! I get really negative when I'm grouchy.

Wichten, I agree that 811 is not for everybody, but I think it's usually mental/emotional issues preventing someone from successfully doing it.