Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

I want to leave this country..

SystemSystem Raw Newbie

(this comment was deleted by the author)

Comments

• AVLAVL Raw Newbie

Don't come to Canada, not much more variety than the states!

Since you are American you could go live on an American island, like St. Lucia or St. Thomas. How about Hawaii? I'm sure any tropical places would have a lot of tropical fruits.

I've been wanting to go to Australia for a really long time, as I'm sure there are a lot of cool fruits and vegetables there than I've never had before.

I'm sorry to hear about you and your dad :(

• luxdivonluxdivon Raw Newbie

You know, i don't know where you're at, but here in Austin people are more accepting than anywhere else I can think of. So of course I recommend living here. I imagine that food supply wise, hawaii would rock the socks... What kind of raw foods do you like best? I would gravitate towards wherever you love the food. For me it would be like hawaii or maui as me and my beau LOVE mangoes, avocados, coconuts! HEy the best thing you can do about your dad.....imho.....is get your space......try your hardest to be a better person than him, to not hate him, but to distance yourself from him......Get your head on straight, if it's not already........ Eventually, he'll see the light of day. Don't ever stop being who you are, or what you want to be....I wish I would haven't listened to my heart years ago!.... You can find the support you need elsewhere...Be who you are...if they mind, they don't matter, and if they do matter, then they don't mind...

• Raw_OrleansRaw_Orleans Raw Newbie

Yea its Too bad that Austin has Decided To Fluoridate That Artesian Aquifer Water you guys have their... Stupid Men Trying to Improve on Gods Handy Work?? Or is it a Conspiracy to Control the Population?? I Think the Latter... Germany used it in the Concentration camps and Ghettos, Stalin used it in the Goologs... It should be Obvious to anyone with a brain what the hell is going on...

Or maybe its Just Our City Fathers, Senators and Congressmen Getting Payed Off Under the Table to Get Rid of the Toxic waste from the Aluminum Plants... But it gets better... These days Phosphate Fertilizer plants happen to Produce a Great deal of Fluorisillic Acid that The EPA said Hey you cant put that in the air... But Go ahead and Use water To filter it before you put it into the air then Put the water in a Hazardous Waste Truck and well sell it to the American People as a Way to Keep their teeth white... Never Mind Cleaning it up First... Well Drip it Slowly into the water supply and will take at least 50 years to kill them... And They'll even suspect... Not only Do we get rid of this toxic waste But We you People To Filter out Most of the Heavy Metals Before they piss it out into the Enviroment... Hell You can even say We Are "Going Green".. and the real kicker is that We Get to sell the shit rather than having to pay BILLIONS to dispose of it ourselves...

I can just here the EPA Now... " uh Yes It is a Problem to get Rid of this Super Toxin.. But Package it as a Beneficial Product and Sell it the Public as a Health Benefit..." Problem Solved!

Sorry about the rant...

• I think- if you grow your own vegetables- most tropical countries will have an abundance of foods for you- making it easy to be a vegan.

I live in Thailand, and the markets are like oasis', but they do spray their food with higher doses than allowed in Europe or the U.S.

You can find organic, but it is still a rare thing allthough awareness of it is growing.

Having volunteered on organic farms for several years here I know organic farmers are met with an attitude like; are you crazy?you cant grow food without fert, pest,fungicides etc..not possible.

Asia is very affordable....

Best of luck in your search.

Hope you work it out with your father.

• I've heard that France is an amazing place to live... they have great food, wine, and universal healthcare! You can't go wrong in my opinion :) I know their taxes are a bit high but they take care of those just starting out, so maybe try that! :)

Misty

• ambiguousambiguous Raw Newbie

Ashton, I'm so sorry about your father; family relationships can be so hard. I understand wanting to leave the US, but don't let your father poison the whole country for you--even if you wind up staying in the US, it's a large, diverse place.

I understand that there are a lot of raw food enthusiasts moving to Ecuador (http://www.naturalnews.com/026028_Ecuador_Vilcabamba_food.html), though I have to admit that a community of relatively privileged Americans using their economic advantage to buy land that the natives couldn't afford puts me off. However, tropical countries with lots of fruits and vegetables available year-round seem like good places to be raw.

There is a network for organic farm volunteer opportunities, if you don't mind hard work in exchange for access to food: http://www.wwoof.org/

Maybe corecries has some advice in this area?

• SuasoriaSuasoria Raw Newbie

I think it's a worthy goal. For at least ten years I've had a plan to retire early, leave the U.S., and spend the rest of my days leisurely in a villa with a great view. It may not be soon, but it's good to have a goal. I sacrifice a lot so I can save for this goal...and it helps curb consumption too. Honestly, sometimes I look at a pair of boots and think WANT but then the villa seems just that much further off!

To your other issue, I sometimes don't understand our cultural fetish with family being the most important thing. Some families are awful, and we'd be far better served if we didn't have to keep them in our life - or at least maintain a purely superficial relationship with them.

• Suasoria- do you need a live in gardener to keep up those great views?

:D

• Ashton, I'm so sorry about your father.

I live in London. I have been living here since 2004. It has been the worst decision ever.

I don't recommend anyone to come here as my experience in here has not been very pleasant. Finally, I am relocating after Xmas.

Italy is a beautiful place to live. However, work wise can be very difficult.

My best friend moved to Australia 2 months ago and she is over the moon. She says that it is the best place ever!!

Also, I have heard that New Zealand is a nice place with lots of opportunities.

• Ashton, I forgot to mention that you should contact your near Rotary Club (Rotary International) to check with them about the exhange programs. They have different options (i.e: proefssionals & non-professionals)

My father was a rotarian for 30 years and we used to receive people from other countries for a year in our house. We will offer them food and a room where to live. We will take care of them as a member of our family showing them the culture and the language.

Maybe you can do it for a year until you find out what would you like to do next ;-)

Good luck!!

• you could just travel for a while

allot of my friends have traveled the world working in bars and on farms or what ever.

• Just move! If you have wanted to move out of this country (regardless of your father) then get out while you can. I moved out of the States for the Peace Corps but came back (will be leaving again after grad school). Europe would be a great place to move. If you don't know where to move you could "travel" by working in different places. I strongly suggest you check out WWOOF (World Wide Opportunities on Organic Farms). You get free organic food (great for a raw vegan) and live for free if you help out. Google it and see if you want to check some out. You can travel cheap via ship (like cargo ships) if you are low on money and have time. Sometimes the best way to get rid of toxic relationships is to take control of your life and leave. I have issues with both of my parents (I am not speaking to either right now). I don't hate them but sometimes a break (even if it is short) is healthier than trying to fight through your differences. Living overseas will help you figure out who you are and allow you to be the person you need to be (as in your true self). Why not seize the moment and LIVE! Good luck!

• I also would like to leave this country, mainly because of the health care situation here. However, San Diego, CA is a great place to be raw. Farmers markets every day (in different counties of course), vegan restaurants with raw selections and raw meet-up groups.

• I dont have any problems with northern california. :)

move somewhere in the east bay area.

• I live in Australia and as far as vegan living goes It's pretty damn good - as long as you live on the east coast (including melbourne) fresh food is abundant - and because we have such a diverse range of climates country wide, you can get tropical, temperate and alpine food in every city and major town.

Melbourne, Sydney and the entire north east coast have strong vege/alternative living communities.

Our health care is better, but our immigration is tough (although if you're american/british way less tough) - we're not on par with the scandinavians, but it could be a lot worse.

woofing is great, rotary too - this site is absolutely brilliant.

if you want to do something, do it. dont wait around for someone to tell you its okay - if you're not happy, TAKE ACTION and try a different path.

http://www.helpx.net/

• Does anyone happen to know what happened to Ashton? I know she ended up going to Hawaii and was heading back to Austin after that. She's a friend of mine I lost touch with, and would like to hear that she's doing okay.

• I personally am bailing and moving to New Zealand once I finish my doctorate degree.

Between health care and a business led government, I want to go live somewhere that is little more progressive.

4 more years... 4 more years...