SPIRULLINA HAPPINESS!!

I've been using spirullina in my smoothies lately and I FINALLY made it taste palatable. I didn't mind the taste that much but it has a very strong funky flavor that overpowered a few of my smoothies and I almost had to hold my nose to down them. Here is what I put into my smoothie today, it tastes chocolatey and wonderful!

A 1/3rd a bunch of cilantro

water of young coconut, plus a few spoonfuls of coconut meat

1/2 cup water (this particular coconut didn't have enough water to my liking so I added some distilled water)

2 capsules of He Shou Wu (Fo-Ti), a Chinese herb known for nourishing your body's yin, contributing to longevity and helping with aging issues like grey hairs, constipation due to yin deficiency and persistent dry skin problems

a sprinkle of cinnamon

3 or 4 almonds

1/2 tablespoon of god-awful spirullina

teaspoon of cacao powder

IF ANYONE has cool ideas for delicious smoothies with spirullina, please do share!

Love and blessings,

Raw Goddess Siham

Comments

• RawaholicRawaholic Raw Newbie

My favorite spirulina smoothie:

1 tbs. spirulina

1 tbs. maca powder

2 tbs. agave (or 1 tbs. raw honey)

squeeze of lime

1 tsp. vanilla extract

2 mangos

1 banana

sometimes I'll add 1/2 - 1 tbs. raw carob powder instead of the lime juice. It's yummy!

• Vegan GoddessVegan Goddess Raw Newbie

ohmigod that sounds DIVINE> thanks for sharing!!!! : )

• have_merseyhave_mersey Raw Newbie

I used to GAG when I would take spirulina, until someone told me to try organic *hawaiian* spirulina. BIG difference. I actually like it a lot now. :)

the Indian sourced spirulina I had was awful. :( Nearly turned me off for good.

If you have hawaiian and that is what you are digusted at...well then I am surprised, and recommend copious quantities of cacao.

• Vegan GoddessVegan Goddess Raw Newbie

Yes i have Hawaiian Spirulina! It truly is not THAT bad when I taste it...it's the smell that's most funky, imo.

• teacupteacup Raw Newbie

I put spirulina in my green smoothies every morning. Today's was particularly good. 1 large banana, 1 kiwi, 5 or so strawberries, handful of spinach, handful of parsley & 1 tbs spirulina. mmmmmmm!

• I use spirulina in my morning smoothie as well along with spinach, frozen berries, 1/2 frozen banana, maca, coconut oil, hemp and whey protein (I'm not 100% raw) and almond milk! sooo good! the berries and banana mask the spinach and spirulina very well.

Does any one know how else to incorporate spirulina in your diet? I have two big containers I need to go through.

• RawKarenRawKaren Raw Newbie

It works really well with cacao. For example, chocolate mousse made with avo's, dates, cacao and spirullina is good. Also frozen chocolate pie, which is made mostly with ground cashews, agave, cacao. Adding the spirulina gives it some real depth.