Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Must Haves

Just curious what everyone's staple items are. Foods that you always have on hand to make being raw easier. I need some help in this department so that I don't go for my daughter's pretzels or creal when I am tired and hungry. Sometimes baby carrots just dont cut it you know. :) thanks

Comments

• RawKarenRawKaren Raw Newbie

Any type of fruit that you can just grab and go I would consider a staple. Bananas at the top of the list.

Sunflower and pumpkin seeds for when the munchies come.

Green smoothies.

Onion bread. Don't think I would call it a staple, but it is always good to have around if you need something filling.

• LaEnsaladaLaEnsalada Raw Newbie

Larabars are great for a snack. I buy boxes of them at whole foods or costco so that I always have them on hand. They're not a staple item for me but they are good for cravings or when I'm just to hungry to make a salad.

• zinfandelzinfandel Raw Newbie

i am all about grapes right now. and i'd say perhaps some blueberries/mango to add to a banana smoothie to make it yummier. watermelon is also so delish.

i also eat about 1/2 a head of romaine lettuce a day, either just alone by itself or in smoothies. i have a feeling i should probably eat more than that, but it's out of my budget at the moment.

• Current staples are:

Watermelon (breakfast)

Peaches, bananas, mango, strawberry,grapes,dates (one of those for lunch)

All of the above, Salad (Tomatoes, Celery, Lettuce, Carrots) (Dinner)

I love my fruit, quick and easy on the go food. I was working 70-90 hours not too long ago and bananas came handy. A non messy fruit you can eat that can fuel you up quick. Cherimoya was great when that was in season as well, mmmmm cherimoya!

• blueyzblueyz Raw Newbie

This changes for me depending on the season. At the moment it is either seasonal berries, so much flavor it only takes a few to satisfy taste cravings, OR frozen grapes. We ate these as kids and I still love them in the summer. If you can get small sweet grapes even better, I can't wait for grape season to hit CT so I can get some to freeze...it is like sucking on candy!! If I am craving salty then I find 1-2 olives will do the trick these days, or a fresh tomato sliced in quarters and sprinkled with sea salt.

• pixxpixx Raw Master

When I get a chance to get to a store I choose whatever is available, and looks good (ripe or close to it- not spoiled), and is personally appetizing to me. My staples:

Fruit: I have bananas every day. Right now, melons, berries, peaches, nectarines & mangoes are readily available.

greens: Chard, kale, spinach, parsley, romaine, bibb, etc

nuts & seeds: not daily- but nice to have on hand for nutmylk, or to top a salad

Coconut butter/cream/spread (name depending on company. I am referring to *whole* mature coconut, creamed)

raw Canadian honey (it's my fav)

• emtpdmomemtpdmom Raw Newbie

Blueyz, I have a friend in Florida who is from Connecticut. She moved there years ago, and missed Concord grapes so much, she brought a vine down and planted it next to the fence. Her vine is pretty impressive, and has loads of green grapes on it at the moment. She tells me they don't taste like the ones from CT, but she much prefers them to the green and red ones in the markets in the Southeast. I'm hope to be visiting in the area when her grapes are ripe, and am looking forward to my first "Southern" Concord grapes fresh off the vine.

• swayzeswayze Raw Newbie

Just any kind of sweet fruit and I'm good to go. :)

Swayze

• most of my staples are not candida friendly:

kale - i eat it whole or put it in smoothies everyday

avocados

hemp hearts

salba

lemon (drink it in my water)

grapefruits

almonds

any veg that is in season

as much parsely as i can get, for healthy teeth

seaweed (sometimes it's not raw, but it's a really easy way to get minerals)

• AVLAVL Raw Newbie

Melons (any kind), berries, apples, greens, avocado, mango, tomato, seaweed, limes, peppers, zucchini, cucumber

• avocado

rejuvelac/kefir

seaweeds

lemon and ginger

green smoothie fruit and greens

chanie, if you still find yourself muchin on those pretzels maybe always having something cook and non sugar/starch on hand would help. Hummus or plain beans did it for me. Maybe you're past that but I had to have those around or I'd find myself grabbing bread/cracker and what not...lol

• Thanks everyone!

greenhoot, thanks for the tip. I do sometimes have cooked veg and sweet potato for dinner., i think it helps with the whole grabbing for some kind of bread or craker thing. I wil try the hummus great tip.

• LilEarthMuffinLilEarthMuffin Raw Newbie

Avocados, any fresh fruit or veggie, sun flower seeds, oat groats, chia seeds.

• joannabananajoannabanana Raw Newbie

bananas, dates, spinach, dried figs, apples, prunes, marinated mushrooms, grapes, and avocados.

• sv3sv3 Raw Newbie

My staples are: lettuce, spinach, cucumbers, tomatos, sun dried toms, sweetcorn, olives, bananas, dates, apples, raisins, frozen berries, buckwheat, flax/sunflower/pumpkin seeds.

I tend to get a bit anxious if I dont have the ingredients to at least make a salad or green smoothie. I'm always buying fruit so tend to have an endless supply to hand.

• vabeachcgvabeachcg Raw Newbie

grab-and-go:

-bananas

-grapes

-apples

-clementines

beverages:

-coconut water (from a young thai coconut)

-fresh-made juices (make your own)

-purified water (the tap stuff just doesn't cut it)

-a little almond milk or hempseed milk (make your own)

-mean green energy shot (see the recipe)

filling foods:

-raw lasagna (pre-make during your off-days/ down times and store in the fridge)

-salad mix (make your own from green leafy veggies and other veg toss-ins)

-soups (mango, gazpachos, tomato and wild rice- prepare on the weekend/ your off days and store in the fridge)

-eggplant (cut it up like tofu)

quick, simple, no-thought-required entrees:

-soup and salad

-kebabs

-stir-fresh (toss your fav veggies in a little coconut oil and seasonings)

-raw pad thai

-wilted celery stalks and squashes make great noodles

seeds (keep nuts to a minimum)

-hempseeds

-sunflower seeds

-buckwheat groats (make oatmeals)

also, keep handy, a stainless- steel, non toxin-leaching h2o bottle, wherever you go, and keep it full. your best defense against fighting hunger.