Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

If you had access to a Vitamix for 3 days...

blueyzblueyz Raw Newbie

..what would be the top priority recipes you wanted to try making?

I have been thinking more and more and I would like to get a VitaMix, but that is a lot of $$ when I have none coming in over the summer.

A friend is going to let me borrow his extra one for a few days, so I pick it up tonight and bring it back on Tuesday.

My main interest is to see how it really works for veggies, things like green smoothies or soups (or anything I can mix and dehydrate, like corn chips).

So, keeping in mind I want nut FREE recipes only please, what would be the top 3 things you would make if you were first trying out a VitaMix??

Comments

• pixxpixx Raw Master

I'm no help with answers, because my first use would be nutbutters!! But, this reply will bump this thread to the front page-- so hopefully more folks will see it, and have better answers for you. :~)

• blueyzblueyz Raw Newbie

Thanks pixx, if I do buy one I will likely try to make some seed butters so anything like that is fine if I can change out the nuts for seeds. Outside of pine nuts(I know, really seeds) it just seems tree nuts are on my food sensitivity list!

I LOVE hemp seeds, curious if you can make hemp seed butter???

• LaEnsaladaLaEnsalada Raw Newbie

Definitely try making some green smoothies. One of my favorites is romaine, pineapple, mango and ginger.

I don't have any romaine but have lots of spinach(farm fresh even) to use. It is mild so hoping that should work too! I LOVE ginger and it works well with tropical fruits.

• joannabananajoannabanana Raw Newbie

blueyes, i've tried hemp seed butter and it's very good. i bought it though, so i don't know how to make it.

i would make a smoothie using apples!! my blender can't blend really hard fruit (or greens) so i'd make a killer smoothie. a warm soup sounds good, too. i'm not a big fan of raw soups because they are so cold, but i've heard the vitamix warms them.

• pixxpixx Raw Master

Yep, I've seen hemp seed butter, sold retail. But I've never tried it. I would imagine it to be very good! I'm bettin' the Vitamix would do well for it.

joannabanana- you can use a double boiler, removed from the heat. (or similar set up: pot or bowl of hot water with a smaller pot or bowl holding the soup, set into the larger bowl of hot water.) That will warm soup quite well; it's what I do.

• Holy! What an amazing blender!

I'd want to make loads of spicy meal-starters

I'd make some garlicky Humous and Baba Ghanouj

I'd make some grilling sauces (I'm not raw but I appreciate nutritious foods that's why I'm here) and condiments.

Nut/seed butters

Juices/smoothies.

• SuasoriaSuasoria Raw Newbie

Cashew cheeses, soups every day, pistachio-mint smoothies, nut milk.

• I think I would make loads and loads of blended salads, soups, pates and nut-butters, then freeze it all before I had to give it back. you could seriously stock up !

• wichtenwichten Raw Newbie

i would make raw ice creams (you can do some nut free ones), grind your own tahini, and make warm soups and sauces.

i heart my vitamix- tax rebate money well spent.

i also make juice with it (blend fruit and greens, then strain through nut mylk bag) so much easier than a juicer.

• keewikeewi Raw Newbie

Dont buy it unless you have the extra money, if you're 811 and it sounds like you are you wont use it too often. I barely ever use my vita mix but havent made a lot of soups. Im gonna start making a lot of soups, that's the only reason to get one if your 811. I find making blended fruit smoothies not as satisfying as eating it whole. It is also more nutritious to eat fruit whole as the vitamix will slightly oxidize it and the steel will kill some nutrients like vitamin c. But the soups should probably be more nutritious since you're grinding up all that cellulose from the greens and making the minerals more bioavailable.

I am not 811 so that is not a concern, I more or less eat not according to what my body can handle (and I'm not raw vegan, about 70% raw though)

I wanted it mainly for green smoothies and soups, I played with the one I borrowed for a few days and it was great for green smoothies. During the summer I have the time and can eat more of my greens but when school starts back up and I am on the go all the time I will likely end up purchasing it when I start getting paychecks again so I can do more green smoothies. If I can start my day with one I find my blood sugar at work is more stable and I last much longer than with just fruit. I will pick on berries or peaches in the summer but I am not one to sit and eat a lot of fruit anymore, I eat more veggies right now.