Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Craving Nuts

LaEnsaladaLaEnsalada Raw Newbie

I've been trying to cut back on nuts a lot lately because of their high fat content and also because I eat a LOT of them, but whenever I try going a day without nuts I end up craving them like crazy and giving in to eating them. Has anyone else experienced this or have any suggestions?

Comments

• blueyzblueyz Raw Newbie

I haven't (my GI and tree nuts don't get along too well) but if nuts are your only real source of fat or other minerals that could be why your body is craving them. Are there specific nuts you crave? Do you think it's the fat? If so try adding more seeds or maybe avocado to your recipes and see if that helps. For me, olives help salt/fat cravings! If that is not it then looks at what you crave and see if other vit/minerals are missing and that may help.

Good luck!!

• joannabananajoannabanana Raw Newbie

la ensalada, if you stop buying them, you won't crave them as much. i used to be a total nut addict, but once i decided to cross them off my shopping list, i don't need them at all. nobody else in the house buys them so i'm not tempted either.

• One thing that I learned from Lou Corona is to consume nuts in a form where they are cultured. For example, he makes coconut almond yogurt that is out of this world. Will post the recipe to my blog - livefooddoctor.com. There are many versions out there. The other related thing that I learned from Lou is about the consumption of enzymes. Because our food supply is depleted of enzymes, we must supplement them even on a 100% raw food diet. If you eat some cultured nut products and consume medical grade enzymes, I know you will consume fewer of them and feel more satisfied. I do think that on a raw, vegan diet that protein in the form of soaked, sprouted or cultured nuts/yogurts is important. I think that may be part of the reason you are craving them. :)

• LaEnsaladaLaEnsalada Raw Newbie

blueyz- mostly I crave cashews and when I start eating them I just can't stop.

joannabanana- part of the problem is that i feel like I need to buy them as back up in case I can't get to the store for fresh produce and have nothing to eat. I usually just keep them in my freezer.

livefooddoctor- I would love to try coconut almond yogurt! That sounds so delicious!

• You could try just eating a little less every day rather than cut them out all together. If it is the fat, try adding other sources like avo ect like Blueyz said, and allow your self maybe half as much as you would normally have. That way you dont feel deprived and the gorge your self later. Slowly ween yourself off the nuts.

• keewikeewi Raw Newbie

Get rid of them completely, i love cashews but have recently completely given them up because its nearly impossible to get non rancid, raw cashews. Only way i would eat them is if you have a cashew tree in your backyard, if not stop buyin um and resist the cravings :)

• swayzeswayze Raw Newbie

Are you getting enough calories in general? It is very common to crave fatty foods like nuts when we simply aren't eating enough. Try upping your intake of sweet fruit.

Swayze

• sv3sv3 Raw Newbie

When I first went raw I went through a phase where I was craving/eating lots of nuts, normally in the evenings when I fancied something to nibble on. I'm not sure if it was because I was still adjusting into eating (mostly) raw but I did eat quite a bit of fat back then.

They are so hard to stop eating once you've had a couple so I just had to stop buying them in the end.

I'm not really as bothered by them now although I do occasionally use them in some kind of sauce/dip/dessert recipe. You could always try eating more seeds as a substitute.

• LilEarthMuffinLilEarthMuffin Raw Newbie

If you crave them eat them! Your body might be needing the calories and healthy fats, just do it in moderation though try measuring them out and putting them in little baggies for snacking.

• LaEnsaladaLaEnsalada Raw Newbie

Suddenly I have stopped craving nuts. . . It's the strangest thing. I started drinking more green smoothies and now I crave greens sooo much and I don't feel the need for nuts at all. I actually get a stomach ache when I do eat them and I feel overstuffed. It's the same thing with coffee, I used to be completely addicted but all of a sudden I just don't feel like drinking it any more.