Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Help! I don't get it!

SystemSystem Raw Newbie

Hi guys :)

Today marks my 30th day of being 100% vegan raw (which, I should point out, is a HUGE triumph in itself being as I live in the Masai Mara in Kenya - LITERALLY in the middle of nowhere). I read all the time and am trying to learn more about raw foodism every day and everything I've read everywhere says that after 30 days I should be looking and feeling great, losing loads of weight and "glowing." I'll admit that I do have loads of energy and make it through my daily workouts no problem but my face is all broken out and I don't think I've dropped a pound or inch since I began. I'm eating oat groats, fruit, tons of veg, avocados, sprouts (lentil, quinoa, tried sunflower but for some reason my throat closes when I eat them), and minimal nuts, usually in the form of nut mylk (cashew or almond) with the morning oatmeal. My access to a variety of food is limited (no goji berries, acai berries, raw cacao, spirulina, hemp powder, butters, etc.,etc., to be had in this country!) Juicing where I live is almost impossible given that we have very unreliable electricity (which is also a problem for smoothie-making) and I know that juice freshness is absolutely essential. My digestion is random and some days are bloated, elimination-free days while others are...well, you know what I'm saying.

I'm on anti-depressants and have been for over two years. I'm keen to wean off them now but am wary to do so without the supervision of my doctor (who is in Canada and who I see once a year every May). Could these be causing the problem or am I just being impatient or am I missing some crucial element that will unlock the key to my body's perfect health?

Help! I've no one else to ask!

Comments

• luxdivonluxdivon Raw Newbie

your body cannot really detox if you are still on drugs. anti-depressants are drugs. i have to go to work, but yea i think the drugs are making a huge impact.

• zinfandelzinfandel Raw Newbie

It wasn't until I went 80-10-10 raw vegan that my body balanced itself out. Since you like to read and research, I would definitely recommend researching the 80/10/10 diet, or ordering the book.

Congrats on your first 30 days!

• Terilyn,

I'm just going to throw out some thoughts about the anti-depressants: (and these are from personal experience) Use them if helpful. Going on and going off of anti-depressants can be very critical times. I was on them for a few years. Though they tend to get a pretty bad rep, and I truly believe they are way over used- they also can bring some people a lot of relief. Not everyone is the same emotionally, and I do believe that some people are more suseptable to mental or emotional problems. People who have never had their lives disrupted by depression, or had a loved one who has, may not understand that it isn't always as simple to fix as adjusting your diet (though that can never hurt to eat healthier IMHO). The whole "walk a mile in my shoes" thing. And of course, just because something worked for me doesn't always mean it will work for you. I've been med free for some times now. And, very happy for it. But, I would go easy on yourself. If your starting to think it may be time to come off, it very well may be. But, your right about how it really should be under a doctor's supervision. In your case, first off I would do research on the meds you are on. There's tons of legit medical info on various drugs. Also, if you can't talk to your doctor (maybe just a consult by phone), talk to your pharmacist. There is probably a weening process (smaller doses) to slowly get off of it. Do you also have a close friend, or spouse who you can let know you are transitioning off of anti-depressants? That way they can keep an eye on you to make sure you aren't acting suicidal or having other problems. May sound weird, but I believe that is important to have some support. My husband and I talked about it before I went off the anti-depressants. He knew to make sure I was okay.

The drugs may or may not have anything to do with it. But, if you can safely get off of them, it's better in the end even if that has nothing to do with your problems. Those digestive issues and breakouts may be from an intolerance to a particular food?

Well, good luck! Just remember your mental health is just as important as your physical. Try to find something relaxing (yoga, or hobby). Exercise, fresh outdoor air, enough sleep- and eat good food too.

• I don't know a thing about anti-depressants, but I would suggest you look into food combining. Improper combining of foods (ie nuts and grains at the same meal) can cause bloating and discomfort because these foods don't digest at the same rate. I know I have tummy trouble if I eat a really mixology-weird day. Also if I eat too late at night, or too many small meals too close together, I have digestion issues.

Way to go on your first 30 days!

• swayzeswayze Raw Newbie

Great job on your first 30 days! The first 30 are definitely the most difficult.

I second Parsley and food combining. Are you eating sweet fruit and fat together?

You say that you eat "minimal nuts," but often times people don't realize how little it takes to result in a high fat diet. Most people shouldn't eat more than 1-2 ounces of nuts per day (for a maximum of 10% fat). This would be the only fatty foods for the day, including avocados.

And don't worry about the goji berries, raw cacao, hemp powders, etc...you don't need any of that stuff. In fact, you are better off without it.

Good luck,

Swayze

• SuasoriaSuasoria Raw Newbie

If I could just comment on the "30 days" and "glowing" comments...everyone is different and certainly it would be unfair to compare yourself to others who are eager to brag about their personal successes on the Internet. For some the detox process is long and uncomfortable. I apologize for being a "Debbie Downer" but your path is yours alone, so do your best, make adjustments if you feel they're warranted, and see how things go for you. I think what you've accomplished under the circumstances is phenomenal. Good for you!

• Thanks to everyone for the information/ideas/suggestions and support! I have looked into food combining (and printed a handy chart to hang on my fridge) and am going to act on the suggestion of cutting out oat groats in the morning and replace them with something else. I've just read that oat groats are not necessarily raw anyway?

Sisterbecky: thanks for your response :) It's very easy for people to claim depression isn't "real," and that the medication is ridiculous and unnecessary. It was and is a very, very real illness for me and I think my husband would argue that the medication (combined with other things of course) was a very real life or death situation. Having said that, I think weaning is a good thing and will definitely talk to my doctor about it next time I'm home!

Again - thanks again to everyone. This kind of support just gives me even more motivation to keep going!! x

• superfood2superfood2 Raw Newbie

I think it's good that you have no access to less-than-optimal dried and non-whole foods like goji berries and cacao. Get your fruit in, plenty of calories, fresh air, exercise and sunshine, and most of all, love. :D Come talk to us if need be!