are these considered greens?

So I recently moved to South Korea to teach English and the grocery stores here are totally different than they are back in the states.

So I've been eating a LOT of parsley, the only herb I can find here. Today I steamed copious amounts of veggies with lots of parsley and the leaves (the tops) of celery.

Are things like parsley and celery leaves considered greens?

Another green I've been eating lots of is Sesame Leaves, oh yum!!!!

Ciao!

Comments

• swayzeswayze Raw Newbie

Parsley is considered a mild herb (like cilantro and basil), but most people factor it in with their green consumption. I enjoy parsley, but can't eat a whole bowl of it.

Celery is actually a member of the parsley family. I often eat the leaves as well, chopping them into a salsa. I guess I would just call them leaves. :)

Sesame leaves? What do they taste like?

Swayze

• Thanks!

Sesame leaves are minty with a kick. They definitely add flavor to whatever you're wrapping in them. They are a staple in Korean diets.

• pixxpixx Raw Master

I had heard about that! Makes me contemplate sprouting sesame seeds... I love sprouts!

sheila~ Perhaps you have access to sprouting seeds? Maybe online? You could grow your own sprouts! Easy, and cheap, greens. And a good way to get a wide variety!!

For tips on how to do this, if you've never tried: http://sproutpeople.com/

All you need is any jar, a screen (cheesecloth will do!) and some seeds! (Use seeds sold for "sprouting" not planting in the ground- which typically have been treated.)

• emtpdmomemtpdmom Raw Newbie

I've been told by someone really "in the know" that sprouted sesame seeds are also high in calcium.