Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Mosquitoes! What do you do to keep them off?

Hello everyone,

so I was wondering: What do you do to keep mosquitoes off?

And while we're at it, what do you do to keep ticks and chiggers off?

I'm thinking about maybe an essential oil in a carrier oil that you can rub on you skin. I'm curious about your tips and advice! :-)

Thank you!

Comments

• waterbaby12347waterbaby12347 Raw Newbie

I've been told that citrus flavored Listerine in a spray bottle will keep them away... Spray the area and yourself, but haven't tried it...

Also, Dryer Sheets placed around the area will keep them away from that area, again haven't tried...

If you give either of them a try, let us know what you find out... smile

• LaEnsaladaLaEnsalada Raw Newbie

tea tree oil is supposed to repel insects.

• macanoogiemacanoogie Raw Newbie

I had heard that the original Listerine placed around the area would work. I bought an off-brand bottle (due to the price) and sprinkled it around on the ground. It might have worked a little (or maybe I just wanted it to!) but not enough to buy a second bottle. That being said, I don't know if the off-brand made an impact, or - if as waterbaby mentions - the way I was told was wrong and I should have used the citrus formula.

Let me know if you guys get it right!

• I also read that sulphur powder keeps chiggers off - but wow, that would be a smelly price, wouldn't it? :-D

• RawKarenRawKaren Raw Newbie

My family always get badly bitten every year, yet I never do and it always ends up as a talking point. We have put it down to eating raw garlic. I have also heard that B vitamins act as a repellent, but I don't know if that is a myth or not.

• if the situation is bad enough i just eat a clove of garlic raw a day. not very fun but it gets the job done.

citronella is the most common plant used to repel mosquitos as they dislike the smell. you can get citronella candles for outdoors to keep them off while youre hanging out side

• kandacekandace Raw Newbie

A follower on Twitter had a recommendation for garlic as well. http://twitter.com/rawglow20/status/2857217854

• Do not eat bananas. This works wonders. Also, taking a B complex supplement also works wonders.