Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

High Blood Pressure and raw eating

I have been raw for 16 days now. One of the main reasons to go raw was because I want to heal my body from high blood pressure. I have not stopped taking my bp meds, but my bp has sky rocketed. Help, did this happen to anyone else? If so, did yours lower on it's own without increasing your meds?

Comments

• wichtenwichten Raw Newbie

what are you eating exactly? 811? Higher fat? Are you getting enough greens?

You may want to try a master cleanse or a juice feast to help get your BP down to a safer level.

• blueyzblueyz Raw Newbie

It could be what you are eating, especially if you eat salty foods(not intentional but it happens) or herbs!!

If the HBP has been long occuring it can take more than a few days to get it down to a normal level, OH and if the weather near you is anywhere as humid as it is near me...my BP always goes up and I need to almost overdose on fluids those days just to stay normal(but only because I know now my body and what it can take). Avoid licorice, hibiscus tea is good and supposed to help for BP.

• thanks...i live in Houston and it's VERY humid here. And, was diagnosed with high blood pressure a coupke years ago. Rome wasn't built in a day, perhaps I need more time.

• What is 811? I have a green or fruit smoothhie for breakfast, greens for lunch, and nut milk for dinner with a lot of fruit in between. I don't add salt to any recipes, my kinesilogist (sp?) said to stay away from all salt for a while. Hadn't thought about a master cleanse in order to help lower bp, thanks for a great tip.

• achin70achin70 Raw Newbie

RawTexan: You might want to experiment with limiting the fruit. High blood pressure is often associated with high insulin levels. If you do salt, try an unheated, unprocessed salt like Himalayan salt. Research has been done where the blood pressure of participants went down 15 minutes after ingesting this kind of salt.

Good luck! :)

• superfood2superfood2 Raw Newbie

I wouldn't do any salt at all - that suggestion, with due respect, seems absurb to me.

Keep up the high fruit and greens and cut out the nut milks and other refined/processed foods.

• malchusmommalchusmom Raw Newbie

What is your normal Blood pressure taking your medication and how high went after begining eating raw??? Just curious.....

• pixxpixx Raw Master

"and nut milk for dinner"

Umm, how much nuts are you consuming? Sounds like a lot of 'em, if it's just nutmylk for dinner? And, daily? I'm agreeing with superfood2 here, (and I am not even 811! lol). I would cut back on the nuts.

811 (aka: 80/10/10) = (not less than) 80% carbs, (not more than) 10% protein, (not more than) 10% fat (percentage of total calories)

http://foodnsport.com/ Home of The 80/10/10 Diet & Dr. Douglas Graham

Edit: I personally need more fat than 811, and do well to keep it in the 20-30% range. My brain works better, and my mood is definitely much better. :~)

RawTexan: Here's a link to Dr. Mercola's article on hypertension. This might be helpful to you on your healing path.

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2009/02/03/five-smart-strategies-to-lower-your-blood-pressure-naturally.aspx

superfood2: We obviously come from different perspectives. I do believe heated, refined salts do cause damage in the body. It's essentially purified sodium chloride, and it doesn't work properly in the body. However, I believe there is a real qualitative difference between an unheated, unprocessed salt like Himalayan salt and a highly processed salt like Morton's.

Also, I also believe in the concept on biochemical individuality, where different people need a different mixture of protein, carbs, and fats to optimize their energy production. If you're the kind of person who does well on more protein and fat, with a moderate intake of carbs, you might feel better with more nuts and seeds in the diet. Nuts and seeds are full of healthy fats, and are considered to be beneficial to cardiovascular health.

LOL. :)

Yeah, we definitely disagree....drink saltwater and find out just how great salt is for you!

And I've seen some sketchy things on Mercola's site.

• I had very high blood pressure when I started raw foods on April 16, 2009... over 100 days now.

My BP fell within 2 weeks from 160/108 to 110/70 without meds, with raw foods.

I started with a two day water fast, then 8 more days of blended green smoothies.

After those 10 days my diet also included fruits, veggies and the green smoothies, and as a result my blood pressure is well BELOW normal!

This article (below) on fasting includes a study of people with high blood pressure who were cured in 10 days of a water fast. I only water-fasted 2 days since I had to work and keep up my strength, but adding the 8 days of just smoothies and water really helped. Once you go raw and your ailments abandon you, staying raw is very easy to do.

http://www.healthpromoting.com/Articles/articles/hbp.htm

Good work, granddad!!! You're doing low or no added fat aside from what's in the fruits and veggies?

• pixxpixx Raw Master

I agree that a good sea salt, or "Jurassic" salt is waaaaaay better than table salt. But- RawTexan said: "I don't add salt to any recipes, my kinesilogist (sp?) said to stay away from all salt for a while.". In that case I would not recommended adding salt of any form.

"Nuts and seeds are full of healthy fats, and are considered to be beneficial to cardiovascular health." I also agree with this! But too many can be detrimental. Even "good" fat. If fat comprises more than 35% of daily calories (for any type of diet- SAD, Raw, whatever) it can be detrimental to health.

Forgive me for my confusion, achin70, as I am genuinely curious: What's to laugh at? "LOL. :)" means Laugh Out Loud, right?

• Well I was just a grandad until April when my granddaughter made me a Great-GrandBabyDaddy! Wanna try that

hat on for a minute and see if you feel any older? Old enough to change your diet 100% for sure!

I also get some fat from avocado on my salad a few times a week, from almond milk and from flax crackers

that I make in my dehydrator every Saturday, and very occasionally a sprinkle of olive oil on salads.

Wow, very cool!!

• SuasoriaSuasoria Raw Newbie

RawTexan, you've had HBP for years, and probably many more years of food habits that contributed to the problem before that...please be patient with yourself. Absolutely you are on the right track, but it will take more than a couple of weeks to undo the damage you've done over time. Congrats to you for choosing a new path!

And congrats to you, great-granddad!

pixx: I wasn't really recommending salt, I was just suggesting that if she were to use salt, that an unprocessed salt like Himalayan salt would be preferable, that's all. A whole spectrum salt, as opposed to purified sodium chloride, does not appear to raise blood pressure (at least for most people). I think my inital comment may have been misinterpreted. Sorry for the confusion.

LOL means "Lots of Love!" I just trying to keep positive, even though we don't always agree with each other here on the site. :)

• pixxpixx Raw Master

Ahhhh, it was very confusing, because generally in net-speak "LOL" means "laugh out loud"- but the post wasn't funny! So I was confused by it. I'm guessing others might be confused by the different meaning, as well. (Point being: it's likely giving the impression that you are laughing, rather than "keeping it positive". I'm glad I asked.)