psyllium husks

does anyone know if it is safe to drink this stuff with water everyday, or multible times a day?

Comments

• Hi rawdoll

Psyllium husks are normally used to relieve constipation, irritable bowel syndrome, diverticular disease, and diarrhea. I’m not a big fan of Psyllium husks, Serious allergic reactions including anaphylaxis, difficulty breathing/wheezing, skin rash, and hives have been reported after ingestion of psyllium products.

Obstruction of the gastrointestinal tract has been noted in numerous case reports of patients taking psyllium-containing laxatives, particularly in individuals with previous bowel surgery or problems.

If you want a better source of fiber in your diet I recommend a good 100% raw hemp powder such as Nutiva brand which you can take alone in water or for better results you can mix with a whole organic apples into your blender, make sure to include the skin of the apple into the smoothie for a good dose of extra fiber.

• MarichiesaMarichiesa Raw Newbie

Rawdoll, Psyllium is pretty demanding stuff on our digestive systems. I would tread carefully. What is your purpose in using it? If fiber look into flax seeds,apples like dancharming said.

• alpdesignsalpdesigns Raw Newbie

I agree. Psyllium does not get absorbed and has no nutritional value. Flax seed has the same effect and works in nearly the same way, only nutrients do get absorbed when the seed is ground. It’s full of omega 3 fats, but also contains lignans and cyanogenic glycosides. Flax is considered a goitrogen that blocks iodine absorption. I wouldn’t eat it several times a day. 2Tbs. contain the government’s recommendation for adequate daily fiber. If you want to do a cleanse, watermelon works wonders. I eat flaxseed, sprinkled on salads, in smoothies, as a thickener for some recipes. I just did a watermelon fast and I’m here to tell you that there is no comparison to the effectiveness of watermelon over flax!

• ok thanks guys!

• Man that psyllium sounds like some hard core stuff. Thanks for letting me know! I didn’t know that about flax. Is it bad to eat more than a couple flax crackers then?

• alpdesignsalpdesigns Raw Newbie

I doubt a couple of crackers would cause any serious issues. A couple of dozen might! The key is to not get in the habit of only eating the same few foods in excess. All plants have toxins of some kind. Vary the diet and reduce the effects of plant toxicity from eating too much of something that stores in your body. Buckwheat greens have fagopyrins for example. Eating excessive amounts of those over time will cause sensitivty to sunlight. Eating a few could be healthy because of the rutin and other nutrients. Life is a double edged sword! Yin and Yang.