Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

need a nut free raw sandwich spread

valgal123valgal123 Raw Newbie

My mother who is new to raw loves all the spreads I make for her raw sandwiches, but they all have nuts and seeds so they are kind of fattening. She needs to cut down on the calories so a recipe without nuts and seeds and large quantities of oil would be helpful. I don't know what it would be. Thank you

Comments

• LaEnsaladaLaEnsalada Raw Newbie

You could make a fruit jam by combining berries and dates. I've never tried it before but it seems like it would work.

• pixxpixx Raw Master

How about a pate of carrot & zucchini? I've made a dip out of zucchini that would've worked well as a spread. Unfortunately, I don't recall what all else was in it. :(

• mdcmdc

I make a carrot-walnut pate that is about 2/3 carrots to 1/3 walnuts. Still some nuts, but at least not 100%. I season mine with curry spices, onion & garlic, but it's also nice with "taco" spices. I really like it with celery sticks. Even my kids will eat it and they're totally not into raw. It's a little dry, though. Soaking the walnuts might help. Please let us know if you come across any good nut-free spread recipes.

• sv3sv3 Raw Newbie

How about using veggie pulp (or shredded veg), with spices or sun dried tomato to give some tangy flavour and you could always add ground buckwheaties (groats soaked then dried) as a substitue to the nuts/seeds?

Haven't actually tried it myself but it's an idea!

• LilEarthMuffinLilEarthMuffin Raw Newbie

what about a zucchini humus? you can omit the oil and add water instead. Ani Phy'o has a great recipe

• How about just a simple veggie sandwich? i slice tomatoes, cucumbers, red onions, radishes etc, add some leafy greens, and i usually make some kind of dressing. I normally put some kind of fat in the dressing but im sure you can make a nice one without. I usually put a couple of slices of avocado also but you can just leave this out too.Just remember that she does need some kind of fat throughout the day, though But i totally agree with the nut pates. The fat content does add up! ...lol

• mmm make something with olives

omg i want olives so bad right now haha

That sounds good. :P

Mix some olives with fresh basil leaves and olive oil. pepper. blend together. that sounds pretty good.

• vabeachcgvabeachcg Raw Newbie

here's a recipe i developed for the same purpose:

http://www.goneraw.com/recipe/mung-salad-faux-tuna

• amberablueamberablue Raw Newbie

try a pesto spread (leaving out the pine nuts, and not so much olive oil for a spread) or a sundried tomato/raw marinara paste...? make raw mustard! it's pretty simple to do.

another favorite of mine (on vegetable sandwiches back in pre-raw days) is just something made with smashed avocado, perhaps with garlic, cilantro, or whatever your mood is.

as a few others suggested, hummus would also work well. you can make it raw with sprouted garbanzo beans, add some sundried tomato and oregano for an italian flavor.

one other thing as a possibility, which i am really craving, would be indian-style chutneys such as coriander-mint (cilantro) chutney...could be very interesting on a sandwich. just a few ideas...

• keewikeewi Raw Newbie

super ripe avocado mixed with alittle sea salt(optional), makes an awesome spread