Soaking nuts & seeds - does this reduce fat contact

I read in a recipe on here that soaking nuts and seeds before eating them reduces the fat? Also helps with digestion (which i know is true).

Does anyone know if this is true?

Comments

• achin70achin70 Raw Newbie

Yes, it does reduce fat content somewhat. That's why many recipes don't require soaking for high fat content nuts like pine nuts and macadamias, since the fat content is important in providing a creamy consistency. Also, the high fat content nuts are allegedly lower in enzyme inhibitors.

Lots of Love. :)

• emtpdmomemtpdmom Raw Newbie

The main reason I soak nuts and seeds is to remove the enzyme inhibitors. I love sunflower seeds, but discovered that they digest much easier if I soak them, sprout them to about 1/4 inch and then dehydrate them. They're also more tasty IMHO. Yummmm!

• emtpdmom: Does the sunflower seeds get less bitter if you sprout and dehydrate them?

• emtpdmomemtpdmom Raw Newbie

I haven't noticed raw sunflower seeds being bitter. Waterbaby says if they're soaked too long they can get somewhat bitter. Also, apparently some people have more bitter taste buds than others, so you may just be more aware of the bitter portion of the taste spectrum. In that case, there's not much you can do about it.

• Hmm, interesting. I find that I can taste nothing but the sunflower seeds if they're in a dish I make. Sounds like it could be my tastebuds.

Luckily I heard that tastebuds renew themselves every 14 days, so there might still be hope :D