Avoiding soy, but miss my Braggs and Tamari sauce

I was told that I must avoid all soy products except for soy lecithin. Can anyone tell me what I can use in place of the delicious flavor Braggs Liquid Aminos and Wheat Free Tamari other than sea salt...there's just something about that brewed flavor mmm...I miss it! BTW, it doesn't have to be raw...I I used to add this condiment to other recipes. I am also gluten intolerant, so I cannot have anything containing gluten.

Comments

• achin70achin70 Raw Newbie

You can try chickpea miso as a substitute. :)

• SuasoriaSuasoria Raw Newbie

Somewhere here there is a recipe for a substitute that involves marinating mushrooms and using the soaking liquid. I wish I could remember what to search for, but it should have the savory brown "essence" you're missing.

You might also try to google gluten free soy free vegan (blank) - there are food bloggers out there who are amazing at that kind of thing.

• Thanks Suasoria! These are great search ideas! I'm searching now :-)

• Suasoria and Achin70...guess what!!! I put in the search words you suggested Suasoria, and guess what? I found my substitute! Lea Perrins Worcestershire sauce is gluten and soy free! I like the taste too! I know it has anchovies, but I allow myself to eat meat 2xs per month because of all the food allergies anyway, so I'm ok with that! Thanks friends!

• Thanks Achin70 for your input and your help! :-) I looove miso, but it is fermented soy, and I think this is also off limits for me :( well thanks tho! Oh! I just realized that you said chickpea miso...how cool. I didn't know they made that. But I cant have legumes anymore either :(

• evergreenevergreen Raw Master

Hi Kendra...here is the link for a raw substitute. (from Zoe)

I have not tried it, but it sounds like it would work well:)

http://goneraw.com/node/10226#comment-46956

• Blue_EyesBlue_Eyes Raw Master

Kendra!! Havent talked to you in a while how are you?

anyway I think what you are looking for is something without MSG in it, that is bad for MS.

there is a thread on here somewhere where someone with MS made the MSG connection.You might want to search it out MSG

i do not remember who she was right off but she may have some substitutes for you without the backlash.

Good luck!

• If it's the sodium that you love, you could easily make a guac with plenty of salt in it. Or something else. I attempted to eat some Wasabi sauce and it ended up burning my tongue, it felt like I was licking acid. : |

• SuasoriaSuasoria Raw Newbie

Really, Worcestershire sauce is GFSF? Who knew??? The vegan version I use does have soy in it. (Annie's.)

And the link Evergreen posted is what I was remembering, I think. Good find!

• springleafspringleaf Raw Newbie

Hi Kendra, I use a vegan worcestershire sauce and also something called mushroom ketchup which is brown liquid like soy sauce but tastes of mushrooms, i don't know if you have the mushroom ketchup in the states but they have it in my local supermarket as well as the health food shop so it's quite common in the uk...

• I have celiac disease, i'm also allergic to corn, soy, apples and grapes. I know what you mean about Bragg's, I loved it too and miss my tofu. I found salt, garlic, onion and pepper helps to replace it, some but you will get us to not having it. It's been 2 years since I tasted it.

Good luck

• charliegirl..It's true, I've gotten used to not eating braggs.

springleaf...I'll have to find that. i really would like to become COMPLETELY (except for honey) vegan by jan. 2010.

lol @ Ashton..yes, wasabi IS strong ;-)

evergreen...thanks for the link

Hi blue_eyes! it's good 2 hear from you! oh yes! I definitely avoid the MSG!

thanks everyone for youir help!

• camiheartsrawcamiheartsraw Raw Newbie

Soy is one of my many, many allergies :) I've had some success with rehydrating dulse and then using the soak water to make a sauce. It's fairly close in both color and taste - but keep in mind I haven' t had soy in forever so my taste could be a little off.

Cami