Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Fat craving

AVLAVL Raw Newbie

I've been craving fat this week, does this mean that I am not eating enough of it in my diet?

Comments

• superfood2superfood2 Raw Newbie

No, not necessarily.

• swayzeswayze Raw Newbie

I saw on your other thread that you have been eating less food. I encountered this last year on raw. I started eating less and less calories and felt fine at first. Then, gradually cravings started coming back. First it was nuts and avocado, then chips and salsa. Unfortunately, I did not put two and two together and then I was completely off the deep end...

Don't underestimate the power of fruit! ;)

Swayze

• ambiguousambiguous Raw Newbie

I would say yes; fat is necessary for health, especially brain function.

• AVLAVL Raw Newbie

Oh I do eat fat everyday, usually 1/2 avocado or 1Tbsp almond butter. I know that I am eating less food, that's because I am less hungry. Sometimes I force myself to eat more because I know my body needs the calories but then I feel stuffed and very uncomfortable. I eat a lot of fruit, usually all fruit until dinner, where I have a large salad (greens and other veggies) with some mango.

• It sounds like (and if I remember right from some previous posts?) you try to follow the 80/10/10 way to eat? I have Dr. Grahams book (bought it a while ago) and I try to go more that way myself (but not strictly, also not 100% raw).

Just a thought: If you are having lots of fruit, and BIG tender green salads and it's still not working completely for you, I personally would up my fat some. Not go back to (I'm assuming you were high fat raw before?) tons of nuts and several avocados a day. Just up your fat some- a whole avocado, a sprinkling of nuts. My guess (and it's only a guess) is that you are transitioning to low fat too fast, or you just generally need more fat than 1/2 an avocado a day. I'm not bashing the low fat raw way. I personally don't feel too great if I rely heavily on nuts and other fats. Lots of fruit and greens make me feel much better.

But, that's what I would do, try a few days of higher fat (not high fat). See how you feel. Just my thoughts on it.

The thing is, people still have about 5% calories from fat in their diet even without avocado and all other high-fat foods. So to say you ate fat and list avocado and almond butter, etc., doesn't include all of the fats from the greens and other fruit.

• AVLAVL Raw Newbie

I think you are both right, there is a small amount of fat in fruits and vegetables (crazy to think that!) and I might need a bit more fat in my diet. I've been transitioning for about 3 months now, and I've been doing it slowly in order not to revert back to my old habits. But I've been doing 80/10/10 for about 1 montn now. And you know that I feel so much better when I eat low fat. The other week I went to a raw potlcuk and had some of the gourmet foods, like bread, pizza, pie, cake, etc. Although they were all raw, I didn't feel as well and vibrant as when I eat mostly fruits and greens.

Also I do train a lot, exercising between 1.5 to 2hrs a day, 7 days a week, so maybe I do need more fat in my diet than sedentary people.

No one needs salt. Sodium, yes.

B12 could be an issue with feeling spacey. More likely than fat.

• wichtenwichten Raw Newbie

your brain and organs do need some fat. If your skin is dry or you feel spacey its a sign of too low fat intake. Fat is like sodium- you need it- but a little goes a long way.

kudos on the edit- superfood- you're right- sodium not salt.

• joannabananajoannabanana Raw Newbie

avl, when i crave fat, i eat hot food instead. i make steamed broccoli, zucchini, carrots, or any other veggie. it gives me the satisfaction of having something warm and filling. i read in 80/10/10 that if given a choice, you should go for a low fat cooked food instead of a high fat raw one.

• AVLAVL Raw Newbie

It's been 4 days and I'm still craving fat! I've caved in everyday, so I'm sure that I've had more than my dose! I'm getting my period next week so maybe that's why I'm getting cravings. And I've have non vegan cheese, yes real cheese, which tastes so good but upsets my stomach so much. And what's cheese without bread? Chocolate has been satisfying my cravings too. I don't know what's going on, it's never been this bad. It usually lasts a day but not 4 days in a row. I haven't changed anything in my diet, so I'm just blaming it on my period.

joannabanana, next time I have a craving I'll try some warm food. Thanks for the tip!

• ladydaventryladydaventry Raw Newbie

But then what's more imporant? Staying raw or avoiding fat?

The whole fat debate really grinds on me. I am 811, I mainly just eat fruit but I'm not going to forsake raw for cooked - I'd rather have a bowlful of ripe avocadoes!

It's up to the individual person. :)

• swayzeswayze Raw Newbie

Yep, definitely depends on the person. Some people can have a little bit of steamed veggies or stir fry and not fall completely off the wagon. Others can't and so it would be better for them to just consume a little bit more fat.

Swayze

• AVL said: I'm getting my period next week so maybe that's why I'm getting cravings.

You know, I seem to have had the same fat craving a week before my period. Maybe you are on to something?

• AVLAVL Raw Newbie

Maybe I am! I've noticed a pattern in the past few months, when a week before my period I get weird cravings but I'm fine the rest of the time. This month it was fat, last month...bread. Hopefully next month will be a fruit and vegetable craving!