Liquid Aminos vs. Nama Shoyu

Is there a difference in taste between Nama Shoyu and Braggs Liquid Aminos? Would it work to substitute Braggs in a recipe that calls for Nama Shoyu? I can't find Nama Shoyu anywhere but I have Braggs in my fridge.

Comments

• joannabananajoannabanana Raw Newbie

I've substituted them and it's fine. I use Bragg's more often though. It's easier to find.

• pixxpixx Raw Master

Speaking of Nama Shoyu... should it be kept in the fridge, or is it shelf stable?? Mine is on the shelf...and I got to wondering about this just last night (it kind of burped when I opened it--- from the fermentation, though, right?). This is the first bottle I've had of it. There is nothing on the bottle about refrigerating it, and I used to keep regular soy on the shelf, so that's where I put it. Is it ok to do that?

(Thanks for bringing up the subject LaEnsalada!)

• wichtenwichten Raw Newbie

I fridge my shoyu. I think its fine on the counter for a while, but i dont go through a bottle very fast so i want to keep it fresher longer.

• SuasoriaSuasoria Raw Newbie

There is a difference in taste. I think it's fine to sub Bragg's for Nama Shoyu, but not the other way around, depending on the recipe and flavor you're going for.

I don't keep the NS in the fridge, but my tamari says refrigerate after opening, so I do.