Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Help! What to make when my parents come to visit?

wichtenwichten Raw Newbie

Hey guys, my parents are visiting me for about 6 days. Im going to preface this by saying we're from Iowa, my parents are salt of the earth type of people, meat and potatoes, y'know the type.

Im breaking my juice feast early so that I can eat when they're around (they don't approve of the juicing). We cant go out to eat every meal, so I plan on making food for us. I want to sneak a lot of raw in there without making things seem raw (know what i mean?) But I know that I will cook some things for us too. My dad doesn't eat salads (claims he gets sick from greens). My mom has tried nut pate and my flax crackers and didn't like either. They also won't eat mushrooms as a meat substitute.

So there's my problem: what the heck do i make for these people that I can eat too?? I've gotten as far as a veg stir-fry, corn on the cob, and im gonna try that pickle-dilly salad. If you've got some (lightly) cooked recipes, or raw without seeming it recipes- help a girl out.

Comments

• When I have guests over for a big meal, I usually cook regular food and then just have a big salad and other raw stuff. They can eat the raw stuff for small sides, and have the cooked food as their main meal. Then I just fill my plate with the salad, etc. Sounds strange, but it works. I'm also high raw (not 100%), so it's not always as much of an issue for me. But, I have been vegetarian for almost a decade, so they are getting use to me not eating everything they do. If you eat just fruit for breakfast- just have a bunch of fruit, and then pancakes, eggs or tofu or whatever "they will eat." You just happen to only eat the fruit, and they can fill up on whatever else they have. If you aren't 100% raw, a big plate of lightly steamed veggies at lunch time to go with a big salad you all can enjoy. Then just have a meat dish for them to go with it.

Oops, I just noticed you mentioned your Dad doesn't do salad. Just try to serve some things you have in common, and accept that you will be eating different things maybe? You can definately enjoy meals with them even if you are eating a big salad and they are eating meat and potatoes. Seriously, don't let it get you too worried.

• malchusmommalchusmom Raw Newbie

This is what i do when i have my sister and hubby at home. Is a salad they LOOOVED because it taste soo good and so healthy.

*** romaine lettuce

***spinach

****sundry tomatoes

*****tomatoes

*****onions

****portabella mushrooms

****avocado

i put everything slice on a big bowl,add olive oil,vinegar,garlic powder,oregano powder and sea salt. Mix everything and THE BEST SALAD EVER!!!! Everyone keeps asking for more! =-)

• sv3sv3 Raw Newbie

It depends on how much work you want to make for yourself but how about buying a regular pizza for your folks one night and then do your own raw version. I did this the other day when friends came over. I also served sweet potato wedges, some raw dips and a salad. It all went down a treat, plus most of my friends wanted to try my raw pizza.

You could do the same with a lasagna. This raw one is amazing:

http://imsorawkin.blogspot.com/2009/04/seriously-best-spinach-lasagna.html

There is a spinach stuffed meatload on this site which also looks lovely and your folks might enjoy that.

If you're not 100% raw, how about doing baked squash (bake in halves) and topping it with a tomoto, spinach and mixed bean sauce on top. You could do a cooked topping/sauce for your folks and have a salad with yours. This is really tasty and has gone down well with my friends before. Or you could do baked sweet potatoes.

Hope this helps and good luck.

• wichtenwichten Raw Newbie

I like the idea of doing a baked squash (they have tons of local ones at the organic market right now) or i guess even baked sweet potatoes. Im not going to make meat dishes (the smell is just disgusting to me and i just hate the idea of it in my apt). Im trying to help them find healthy things they like eating. im slowly, slowly having an effect on them. Thats why I dont want to make a lot of separate dishes.

Im not too worried about breakfast. They like oatmeal and i figure i can make a big bowl of cut fruit for all of us, as thats what i like in the am. Who can argue about fresh watermelon right now... no one. :)

Any other ideas? My mom says she doesn't like to eat vegetarian b/c it doesnt fill her up- so i want to show her otherwise without resorting to tofu, or weird meat substitutes.

• SuasoriaSuasoria Raw Newbie

Do they eat pasta, potatoes, carbs of any kind? Beans? What about Indian or Thai or Mexican or other ethnic cuisines?

• sv3sv3 Raw Newbie

If your mum thinks vegetarian food doesnt fill her up, why not do a fajita style meal with mixed bean dishes, veggie dishes, dips, wraps, etc. Beans are very filling and with a great sauce, very tasty too.

• JoyceHJoyceH Raw Newbie

We had family up to our house for an overnight visit during Mothers Day weekend. These folks eat a very standard American diet full of all kinds of bad stuff including processed foods, meat & dairy. One family member couldn't eat anything spicy or exotic. So it was tough figuring out a nice raw vegan dinner.

We decided on Russell James famous Spinach & Wild Mushroom Quiche which was a huge success! The meal was filling, delicious and loved by everyone! I will say it was a lot of work and effort but totally worth it. So if you do make one fancy meal for your folks, I'd recommend this one. Here's my blog post for all the details, photos and recipe:

http://beautifullivingfood.blogspot.com/2009/05/russell-to-rescue-for-happy-mothers-day.html

• wichtenwichten Raw Newbie

I love your blog Joyce, i love the siamese checkin out the foods. hes so cute! Does that quiche taste very mushroom-y? My mom doesnt like mushrooms but it would be perfect to make those so they are ready around the time they get in fri night. They'd never know theyre raw and its just the occasion to make something really gourmet (i rarely do gourmet raw just for me).

• JoyceHJoyceH Raw Newbie

Hi wichten! My kitty, Murphy is actually a Ragdoll breed. They look like big fluffy siamese kitties :-) Their origins are Himilayan, Persian, and Siamese. Great cats! Very interective, vocal, friendly and they love their humans. Murphy plays fetch and is always at the door for me when I come home from work. He's the best!

I'm not a mushroom fan either so I was a little hesitant about the recipe myself. But since I chopped them small enough and they were in the dehydrator for a while with the mixture, it worked very well. I didn't find the mushrooms dominant at all. (I might have even cut back just a tad on the amount too)

Oh this is a great recipe since it doesn't seem raw at all. Your parents would be very surprised to learn it was raw after eating it.