Coconut Oil = Fattening?

dogsuponhotcatsdogsuponhotcats Raw Newbie

Anyone else GAIN weight consistently on coconut oil? (I'm talking about the organic, extra virgin, holy good god rainbows and butterflies raw varieties).

Every time I stop taking a teaspoon daily, I lose the weight again.

Avocados, olive oil, seeds, nuts, all fine. Coconut just turns me into a cow for some reason...

Is it secretly sabotaging my thyroid? Does this happen to any of you?

Comments

• pixxpixx Raw Master

Not me. I loose weight every time I add it back into my diet. When I was loosing weight & would hit a plateau, coconut oil got it going again every time. I lost close to thirty pounds while eating it daily (over 70 total). Now I'm at a good weight, and rarely ever use it.

• pixx, how much did you take a day? Was it alone or mixed in with food?

I tried coconut oil as a substitute for a spinach dip, and the consistancy was very different. It turned everything hard. But still good.

• pixxpixx Raw Master

Yes, it will get hard when cold; melts at 76 degrees.

I didn't "take" it lke a drug. (I've heard some folks do, though.) I changed all oil used, for coconut oil. At the time I started, I was still cooking frequently. Typically roasted veggies, or stirfrys. So, I used coconut oil, instead of other cooking oils. I also swapped out margarine, and started using coconut oil on my toast.

So, I would say a tablespoon or so a day? Perhaps two, on days I did both (toast for breakfast, and cook dinner).

I've also used it a few times mixed with lemon juice, as a salad dressing-- but you need to have room temperature greens, or the oil will harden and wilt the greens.

• No it helps me lose weight.

• amberablueamberablue Raw Newbie

i take about 1 tablespoon a day, and it helps me lose or maintain my weight.

maybe try looking at the other things in your diet and figuring out how much fats you are getting. the key is to replace the coconut oil into your diet, but not to add a significant amount onto a diet that is already getting plenty of fats... does that make sense? i read this on a natural health site that i frequent, and it's what i try to keep to, because it does work for most people.

i also suggest that you maybe look into your metabolic type or things of that nature to see what might work better for you??