Period talk

Hi ladies,

Recently I got off of my birth control (depo shot) because I was no longer covered through my insurance. I had 3 periods BACK TO BACK since then. I'm concerned because in a little over a month I'm already on my third period. Each lasted about 5-7 days with 5-7 days in between them. My period now is very heavy. I have very little cramping.

Does anyone know what this could be, or what I should do?

I'm not as raw as I want to be, and am going to take a 100 day challenge coming up in August 10th. Any thoughts,comments would be appreciated!

Thanks

Comments

• wichtenwichten Raw Newbie

thats a normal effect of coming off the depo. sorry to say. I was on it for 5 years and when i went off i bled like a stuck hog (tmi, but now you know). Its not really a period per se, but its your body cleaning out, more or less. Depo shots pump you full of hormones, more than you need. You can be infertile for up to a year when you get off of it. It will lessen, but you may want to supplement with iron just so you don't get weak from blood loss. Beets and kale are good here too.

• Seriously, call your doctor. It may be a side effect from coming of the birth control medicine, but I would DEFINATELY call your doctor and ask. If your doctor is too busy to talk to you, get a new one.

• joannabananajoannabanana Raw Newbie

chattanoog, my sister used to get her periods 9 days a part and they were VERY heavy and lasted 9-10 days. it turned out that there was something wrong with her kidneys. maybe you should see your doctor, like sisterbecky said just in case it could be something more serious.

• And make sure your getting enough iron.

• Thanks a lot, I appreciate your help! I made an appointment today.

• ladydaventryladydaventry Raw Newbie

I came off the pill in November, developed full blown acne in February (I'm 27) and haven't had a period since the day I quit the pill! I took a huge step (backwards???) and went back on it a few days ago. It's not great but neither is not wanting the leave the house because of my skin!

• amberablueamberablue Raw Newbie

hey chattanoog, that sounds awful. if you do stay off of it, you might want to check out taking some hormone balancing herbs and supplements. i ended up doing this when i went off bc, after a few attempts, and it alleviated side effects alot.

ladydaventry: the side effects you are experiencing, that is exactly what kept me going back on it too... so maybe this will help you too. i know it's a big chance to take after than kind of experience!

vitex (chasteberry) was one of the herbs i took, and wild yam too. there's probably tons of other tonics and herbs that will help. also, if you have anemia (low iron) or anything like that, try to correct it, and take multivitamins; just generally get your system in as best shape as you can so it can handle the 'detox' phase and re-adjustment. i believe this is another thing that really made a difference for me.

anyway, just wanted to mention it because it was really key to my finally ditching those things. good luck and hope you get well soon.