If you have Entertaining in the Raw, I have a question for you...

germin8germin8 Raw Master

I just bought this book and I'm trying to figure out what exactly is pictured on page 81. The recipe on page 80 doesn't look its the recipe for the picture on the next page. I am SO CURIOUS to know what that is, how to make it (i.e. which recipe that is).

Also, the olive-oil ice cream... sounds weird!

Comments

• I believe that IS actually supposed to be a portrayal of the recipe on pg. 80 - the heirloom tomatoes, etc. Perhaps the tomatoes were peeled prior to being cut into squares/rectangles?

Then again, I did see a "food stylist" challenge on Food Network a few months ago.... and oftentimes the things they used to make a representation of the recipe didn't actually use the ingredients in the recipe (you don't want to know what was in the "ice cream")!

But at any rate, I'm pretty sure that's what it's supposed to be: very colorful heirloom tomato chunks with the olive oil ice cream and cheese crisps in the background....

• germin8germin8 Raw Master

Hmmm, it could be tomato. But, I'm not convinced the "white" one is a tomato - or is it?! :o)

• JoyceHJoyceH Raw Newbie

I'm making the chile rellenos this weekend from this new book, page 188. Been craving Mexican food this week....Can't wait!!

It's not a complicated set of recipes but there are a ton of ingredients to buy which I did yesterday. Total bill was around $67 for everything I had to buy. I'm making this on Saturday as our big slurge and my fun-day with raw food prep. A nice vegan meal in a restaurant would surely cost more than this so I figure I'd rather spend my money on raw organic produce and create a wonderful raw dinner at home!

Plus there should be plenty of leftovers!! Yay!!

Cheers!

Joyce :-)

• Oooh I'm excited to see the results Joyce! Hopefully there will be a nice lengthy post about it on your blog? :-) I've been eying that one myself, it looks tasty.

• wichtenwichten Raw Newbie

ditto to that! all i do for mexican anymore is guac or salsa. just the sound of chile rellenos makes me hungry.

olive oil ice cream does not sound appealing...

Yes, I'll defintiley post the results on my blog :-)...probably on monday the usual day..... that's my quiet day off from work where I'm home with just my kitties....

Germin8 - I'm not sure either as I have the book here with me. I'll look closer and read the recipe again. I thought it was colored olive oil butter.....

Oh the tamales look great in both Entertaining in the Raw and also RFRW. Haven't made either yet but would love to try sometime!

Okay everyone... is anyone gonna guess at what that is on page 81? *hehe*

Btw, JoyceH, I've always wanted to make the tamales.

Now, back to the original question. :o) What can I say, I'm curious what that is.

I made the apricot "yogurt" cake. I was wondering how they were going to make it "hold" without an emulsifier...so, being that this is my first recipe to make out of this book, I didn't add one.

It turns out, it didn't hold! Best served straight from FREEZER (not fridge) ...and, it really needs an emulsifier - lecithin, agar, irish moss, more coconut oil?.

Yeah the apricot cake doesn't hold together. I wrote about that on my blog and how we also had to keep it in the freezer as an ice cream cake. My husband was taking pictures in a hurry before the slices melted on the plate.... But it was still very tasty. I'm sure the recipe could be re-worked to hold better. Maybe some more coconut oil or lecithin...

I made the chile rellenos this weekend from Entertaining in the Raw and everything turned out wonderful! All details and photos are on my latest post:

http://beautifullivingfood.blogspot.com/2009/08/live-mexican-food-raspberry-lemon-pie.html

Ooo, I see you made it with the Spinach Masala. I may have to try it.

I'm thinking of defrosting the apricot cake, re-blending it with lecithin and coconut oil... and hope it will be okay then.

Alternatively, I can serve it as a pudding or in bite-size mini pie crusts.

The spinach masala rocks! We liked it a lot. I used Jicama for the rice but would use parsnips or a combo of parsnips and cauliflower next time if you can find parsnips in the summer.

Let us know how things work with the apricot cake. Not sure what defrosting will do to the results but I'm curious to find out :-)

I decided not to defrost and re-blend. BUT, Sweet Gratitude mentions to check for desired consistency whether refrigerating or freezing (I think). Check in 20 minutes after refrigerating if it's the desired consistency; if not, re-blend w/ X and voila. I forget the tips for checking consistency of frozen desserts.

Nevertheless, I served it (firm) and called it a pudding (it was a long wait between my home and potluck). People enjoyed it!