Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

What do you use for toothpaste?

So I got to wondering the other day: what do you all use for toothpaste?

Comments

• joannabananajoannabanana Raw Newbie

you know, a customer complimented me last night on how white my teeth are. it was so nice!! haha

i use baking soda once or twice a week in place of my toothpaste, but use Tom's of Maine antiplaque-tartar control-plus whitening-fluoride free toothpaste twice a day (wow that's a mouthful). i've heard fluoride is terrible for your teeth so that's why i don't use the regular kind.

• I use the liquid tooth soap. I visit the dentist twice a year and never have any cavities :).

• I use Tom's of Maine, tried making my own for a while, it turned out to be easier for me to just use Tom's.

• Chef ShuannaChef Shuanna Raw Newbie

I actually used Tom's of Main as well and I just found out they are owned by the Colgate company and they are the devil so I am actually in the market now for a good toothpast. Suggestions would be amazing!

Cheers!

• luxdivonluxdivon Raw Newbie

Good

• SuasoriaSuasoria Raw Newbie

DH says Tom's has something in it that should be avoided - sulfates? I can't remember. Lately I'm using Kiss My Face whitening. It's aiight. I like the taste, but I question the whitening power. At least I don't see a difference.

• Yeah avoid Toms of Maine at all costs. And to just throw it out there Burt's Bees products too. I use Nature's Gate fluoride-free and sometimes Desert Essence fluoride-free. I also just use plain baking soda here and there. That good o' tooth powder sounds interesting. I might give that a try.:)

• joannabananajoannabanana Raw Newbie

can you make the tooth powder ahead of time and just keep it in a container? i want to make twice that amount today so i have it on hand.

• freewitheftfreewitheft Raw Newbie

I stopped using toothpaste a while back and no problems so far. I brush my teeth frequently and do a salt water rinse at least once a day. I was reading about how so many of us have problems with enamel wearing off our teeth. Turns out that the problem is that toothpaste, even natural no-fluoride ones, leave a coating on our teeth. We can't keep re-mineralizing our teeth because of that. Our saliva contains the necessary calcium and phosphorus for ongoing re-mineralization, but it needs to be in direct contact with clean teeth. Anyways, that's what I read and it makes for an interesting theory. We'll see how it pans out for me.....

• I mix ground horsetooth, organic baking soda, peppermint & clove therapeutic grade essential oils, & a little water.

My dental hygienist says my teeth and gums are very healthy, people regularly compliment me on my teeth ;)

I added the clove EO because I chipped a tooth and it hasn't been fixed yet, but I want to keep it infection free.

• this is an interesting thread. i read somewhere awhile back that there is bacteria living in our mouths that we constantly ingest and that these bacteria contain B12. now, for years i've heard how i cannot get enough B12 because i'm vegan and the only place to find it is in animal matter. i've also heard that is bull and that it's in nutritional yeast and even sesame seeds.

but this is the first time i've heard this about the bacteria.

apparantly using toothpaste kills the little bacteria and then you don't get the B12 and have to take supplements.

anyone else ever heard anything like this?

the alternative suggestion was to brush your teeth with a dry toothbrush. also, i know that having bad breath is a direct result of what you eat. so if you truly are eating a healthy raw, vegan diet your breath should be super duper. supposedly...

• eechoeecho Raw Newbie

I don't use this, but might try it out someday soon.

How to Make Natural Homemade Toothpaste (Renegade Health Show)

• Mostly just water but I use some baking soda about every third day day or so.

Blessings,

Audrey

• I heard that Toms of Maine and Berts Bees sold out to larger companies. I've noticed ( at least with BB ) that the products are not as "natural" as they use to be. Is this the case with T.O.M and their toothpaste?

• Uncle Harry's jar toothpaste.

No fluoride, no glycerin, nothing you can't actually eat.

My teeth are whiter, and I'm telling myself daily that my teeth are remineralizing :)

• juicefastfanjuicefastfan Raw Newbie

I just use a little baking soda with a therapeutic-grade essential oil (usually thieves or peppermint) or through that same company (dunno if I'm allowed to say specific name of company on a forum lie this or if that would be "spamming??) I buy the thieves toothpaste. Its a lil expensive so I only get it once in awhile but I do buy their KidSense toothpaste for my kids cus they love it. And, I do the salt water rinse n gargle at east once a day.