Fat intake?!

Hello everyone...

I've heard it all before that as long as it's raw, everything's fine when it comes to fat. Because you get the right KIND of fat or something? Well, I put my food intake on fitday.com and it totaled to 43 grams of fat!! All of that was mainly from 1 avocado and 1 tablespoon of flaxseed oil. Am I okay? Should I limit my avocado eatin'?

Comments

• According to Ani Phyo, famous raw chef, she applies the 1/3, 1/3, 1/3 rule to her diet. 1/3 fruits, 1/3 veggies, 1/3 fat. I haven't been eating raw long enough to figure all of those concepts out yet. But, it sounds like a good plan.

• joannabananajoannabanana Raw Newbie

well, everybody has a different idea about how much fat you should eat, but i like eating low fat. my digestion is a lot better that way and after suffering from years of constipation, i refuse to have my stomach feel like that again. i probably eat 15% of my daily intake from fat but it varies every day. some days it's 10% or lower and other days it's probably 20%. i get my fat from power wraps (nori wrapped nuts) or avocado rolls (it's less than 1/2 an avocado). i use 1 tbsp of olive oil in my marinara sauce when i eat zucchini pasta, too.

i used to eat an avocado every other day, but i feel a lot better without it now. i guess do whatever makes you feel good : )

• joannabanana: I think you've definitely spoken truth in that! Lately I've been "reading my body" and how it responds to the raw food I'm putting in it--and today I made up my usual dinner with avacado and I hardly wanted it, so I didn't have much.

Thanks for your input!

• the59soundthe59sound Raw Newbie

I haven't eaten a nut, seed, or avocado in over 3 months. I'm going to start eating an avocado every week, though. Physically, it's not working for me. I'm not finding my training any better, and I simply enjoy eating avocados (no nuts or seeds, ever though.) Do what feels good, some people claim to feel good on 40 percent until they crash and eat cooked food. Some people enjoy low fat and then struggle to stay raw. I personally like feeling good and training hard, fat does not let me do this efficiently. Pick your king.

• just one avocado a week? wow thats really low fat. I totally agree, do what works for you. But keep in mind that you absolutely must have fat in your diet. Fat is what supports the myelin sheath which is key to neorological functioning. Fats supply two types of required fatty acids that our bodies cannot manufacture.

I like to keep nuts and seeds to a minimum, eat avocados here and there, a little olive oil about every day, and some coconut oil on occasions.

• Chef ShuannaChef Shuanna Raw Newbie

I think if there has been one thing I have learned when I went Raw was that EVERY BODY is different. Just because what works well for me does not mean that my boyfriend (for example) is going to thrive off the same foods. Just the opposite in fact! Do what makes you feel good. When I first made the transition a couple years ago I ate a large avocado everyday, oil based salad dressings and nut based entrees. I dont know exactly how much fat intake was there but I know a whole 'hell of a lot of it' was there. During that time I also dropped 20 lbs and nearly half my pant size. I was a very healthy vegan before that too so its not as if my diet changed THAT drastically (say, more so that a fast food eating meat eater). Overall I felt great though. More energy than ever, best shape of my life. I do know however some people feel really sluggish and moody if they consume too much so maybe try a week eating as much fat as you actually desire then the next week switching it up. How do you feel? How is your mood?

I would also recommend not cutting fat out because you do need it for healthy brain functioning. The brain is somewhat important!

I do have to say DAMN those avocados to hell for tasting so damn good and being so high in fat. Pisses me off!

Cheers and good health!