Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Juice Fast Failure?

So, I was gearing up to do a 3 day veggie juice fast.. i bought all my produce and identified the reasons why I wanted to do this: cooked food cravings recently (i thought it was bc of my time of the month), clarity of the mind, detoxing in general (ahem cellulite) and to improve my digestion which i STILL have trouble with 7 months after being raw. I woke up this morning a juiced a whole bunch of veggies and took it to work in airtight thermoses. I was doing great, but come 4 o clock, i reached for my thermos #2 juice and i couldn't choke it down. I think i definitely need to fast on a weekend when i can juice FRESH all day long. OR maybe i should incorporate some low sugar fruit juices or green smoothies which i really love. I guess I just need some advice for me to complete this. It's REALLY hard to not eat, i can't believe the power food has over all of us. Did this happen to anyone else?

Comments

• joannabananajoannabanana Raw Newbie

i think you should add fruit juice into your fasting. i did a mixture of both fruit and veggie juices when i fasted so i wasn't bored with it. i did it for 6 days and it was during a week of school. i made large batches of juice every night so i had them in the morning and afternoon. my juicer takes a while to clean up so i didn't have time in the morning. after i would get home, i juiced my dinner and took it to work with me. if i didn't feel like juicing a lot the night before, i brought the master cleanse drink with me to school/ work.

i've only done one juice fast, but i can't remember ever feeling better about myself. it's all mental and you have to want to detoxify yourself because otherwise, you'll end up eating when you get home.

good luck!

• RawKarenRawKaren Raw Newbie

I agree with JB that you should add some fruit to your veggie juice. Pears go well with veggie juice as do apples. I also tend to put in alot of lemons or limes. eg 4 limes to a quart of juice gives a great flavour.

• Mix up the juice recipes. But if you find you are not ready for a juice cleanse, enjoy fresh juices along with green smoothies and fresh organic and local fruits and fresh/steamed/roasted/or grilled fresh organic veggies and winter squash, yam, asparagus, pumpkin and the like. It works for me! I have high energy, good skin and a good body weight.

• Sa-raw,

For your digestion issues, have you considered, or do you already practice any sort of food combining regimin? I highly recommend looking into that, if you haven't already, I have found that it is very helpful with any sorts of digestive issues. Good luck!

• wichtenwichten Raw Newbie

veg juice goes rancid really quickly. Make sure you put it in a glass container that is airtight (preferably dark glass so light doesn't disrupt) Keep as little air in there as possible and keep it as cold as possible. Ive found that veg juice can go off in about 30 min if left at room temp. The more sugar (fruit) that is in your juice, the longer it will last. Pears, apples, and even carrots and beets will help it keep.

Do not mix acidic juice (orange, grapefruit) with any veg or greens or it will make it taste really bitter. I like those juices in the a.m. or before a workout for the cal/protein.

Also do not mix pineapple or papaya juice with any other juices. Keep those separate until you are ready to drink them, as their natural enzymes will start digesting the proteins in the rest of the juice. I personally love pineapple/ swiss chard juice (50/50 mix) but i juice it separate and keep them in separate bottles and right before i drink it i shake them together in a glass jar.

• Chef ShuannaChef Shuanna Raw Newbie

SA-RAW

I was just wondering how things were going with you as far as the 3 day juice cleanse. I have been having really bad digestion myself the past two days and thought to myself "I should really juice for 3 days"... then I thought to myself ...'hey, I remember reading a thread about someone wanting to do this but having some difficulties along the way'.

Have you followed through with this whole thing? Before even reading your post fully I literally thought the EXACT same thing you did. I could have copied and pasted your entry and put my name at the bottom. I have been having some cooked food cravings a bit....a detox cleanse would be great to help with my new found 'sport' of dry brushing for the good ol fat pockets!

If you have yet to complete this three day 'getting back on track' plan I would love to join you. My tummy would love to as well. If you already have...then what recipes did you use and how many juices did you have each day?

Thank and cheers!

p.s.

if anyone else reads this and would like to join a 3 day detox please let me know...I am so incredibly down for it!

• zinfandelzinfandel Raw Newbie

A healthy option to a juice fast is to go on a mono-fruit "island". For example, go on watermelon island, eat only watermelons, or banana island, eat only bananas, or mango island, or grape island. When I went on watermelon island for a couple days I definitely noticed a big improvement in my digestion. If you can, I would recommend eatting only mangoes and watermelon for a week or so. Watermelon is so low in calories I think it's possible to feel weak. The high water content fruits are best for healing.

The point of fasting is giving your digestive system a chance to heal itself, and this is still accomplished when you eat only one high content fruit.

P.S. I had IBS for a year and doing 811 with a couple fruit islands thrown in has totally changed everything.

heh.... I love how you call them 'islands'. Dont know why but it made me laugh. Thats a good idea though. I lead a pretty active lifestyle so I am concerned about getting enough nutrients to get me through my days. Would taking a vacation to one of these islands fuel me properly? My activity is normally 45 minute cycling with a possible mile jog. Should I give it up for three or so days?

• AVLAVL Raw Newbie

iliveyourdream - I would love to do a juice fast with you, but I don't have a juicer :(

Maybe I can do a watermelon "island" or cantaloupe "island" for 3 days, while you do your juice fast. Even though it's not exactly the same, it's still kind of a juice fast, since these fruits are so high in water content!

I would start after tomorrow, since I have a raw potluck that I am attending tomorrow night. So if you want to start Sunday it would work with me.

I also had the same question regarding exercising. I tend to do intense cardio for 1-1.5 hours a day, so I don't know if I would get enough energy to fuel my workout.

Dr. Graham of the 801010 diet often puts people on an all banana diet for a week, then banana and greens for up to 3 weeks. I've done about a week of that, but found the most improvement in my digestive system when I did watermelon island. If watermelon island isn't enough energy for you, just add mangoes or grapes. I think for most people there isn't a need to fast, high water content mono meals are best. If I were to fast I would be going to a fasting clinic and doing a 10 day water fast.

• AVLAVL Raw Newbie

How much watermelon would you eat in one day during a watermelon island?

• joannabananajoannabanana Raw Newbie

I'm thinking I would have to eat 5 melons to actually feel full. I work out 2 hours a day, too, so maybe more melons that? If I did any melon, I'd do cantaloupe. I've been having a cantaloupe every day- they are so sweet and satisfying and go right through me- like immediately haha tmi

@AVL However much you want. Normally between 1 and 1.5. The point of an island is it gives your body a break from digesting complex combinations. Whenever your body has a break in digesting, it uses the extra energy to detox. I have experienced the ultimate detox symptoms while eating only watermelon and grapes and then exercising. That is some serious business. I think the grapes add something special. Ann Osborn at www.fruitgod.com went on melon island for 6 months straight. She's a stud, for sure.

• AVLAVL Raw Newbie

joannabanana - I"ve been eating cantaloupe like crazy too! I go to the farmer's market every few days and buy 6 melons at a time. The lady there is like "wow, you really like cantaloupe, you always buy so much!". I guess I'm known as the melon girl now! After a 1.5 hour work out in the morning I'll eat 1 cantaloupe, 1/4 or 1/8 of a watermelon (depending on how big the watermelon is) and 1 cup of berries. I usually do the same for lunch, 2 apples for snack, and a large salad for dinner with a bowl of fruit as a late night snack. I've been eating these 2 melon meals/day since the beginning of July and you'd think I'd get sick of it, but I really don't. I don't know what I'm going to do in the winter, when they are not as available :(

zinfandel - How long do you do and island for? I don't think I could do it for 6 months!

Well, I did watermelon Island for 5 days and definitely noticed a difference in my digestion. I used to have a horrible digestive system, and it's taken about 8 months on 811 and several short visits to various islands and i feel my digestive system has done a 180. I can't say there would be many benefits if one went back to a high fat, highly stimulating raw diet.

• I could see how a 5 or 6 day watermelon might benefit a person. And I can definately agree with monomealing watermelon (I do it very often).

But, I honestly can't see how eating ONLY watermelon for 6 months can be healthy.

Five or six days, yes.

• AVLAVL Raw Newbie

Wow that's amazing zinfandel! I've been doing 80/10/10 for 2 months now, and I was really good on it in July, but August has somewhat been an "off month". I did lots of "cheating" and now I'm not feeling 100%. I feel heavy & bloated, even though I go to the bathroom 4 times a day. I still feel like there's extra stuff stuff in there that's not coming out (sorry for the details!). I really want to to a watermelon island. Does it only have to be watermelon or can I include cantaloupe as well? Can they be mixed together or eat the different types of melons at different meals? Also, you eat the actual melon, right? I mean, you don't juice it. Right? Sorry for so many questions. I just want to do it correctly.

sisterbecky - I also think that 6 moths is a REALLY long time, I agree 5 or 6 days would be good.

AVL.~ If your down to start on Sunday that would be perfect. I wanted to start today but then last night I looked around and realized how much fresh produce I have to use up first. You could go on Watermelon Island for three days and I'll go juice feasting for three and we can compare how we feel eachday! I'm excited to start....everyday...I dont know what it is but I have just felt off tummy wise so i'm looking forward to feeling better. Let me know if you definitely want to start with me that way I can make sure I check in with you!

Cheers!

She did a melon Island, so a variety of melons throughout the time. To me, it goes to show that the human body is much stronger and more adaptable than the medical community wants us to think we are. She is in quite good health in my opinion for a 40 year old, and she did come in first out of 1,000 people in a walking race while on the mono melon diet. For someone who is 40, and follows their instincts, I think 6 months on a variety of melons couldn't have done her much harm (in her instance). I imagine she did it for detox, and she does have a great body and a wrinkle free skin so she's doing something right.

Yes, eat the actual melon. Melons combine together fine as far as food combining goes so you can combine them. Your digestion will definitely improve.

Also, do try to stick to the 811 diet, at least make that your long term goal. It's taken me 8 months of 811 to not have to fight off the cravings all the time. One big contributing factor to me feeling more stable on 811 has been cutting out all the drama that made me want to binge.

Good luck, and just with an eye to the future you'll get where you want to be :)

• AVLAVL Raw Newbie

liveyourdream - That's perfect! I'll start tomorrow as well. I also have a whole bunch of produce that I got at the Farmer's Market yesterday, but I think it will still be good, in a few days, if not that's ok. I really want to try the melon island. I'm really excited to do this too! It's something I've wanted to do for a while but I didn't know if it was healthy to eat such a limited diet. But now that I know that others have done it too, I can't wait to start either. It's nice to know that someone else is doing something similar, like that we can support each other. And I'm sure others on the forum are also here to support us as well.

zinfandel - Thanks you so much for your support. I think also think the the human body is incredible. People can't believe that I mostly eat fruit and vegetables. They are like "how can live eating only fruits and veggies?" In my opinion, the simpler the diet, the better it is. At least that's how it works best for me.

I have a potluck to go to tonight, so I know that there will be gourmet foods there that I will eat, so a nice melon island for 3 days after that will be a good way to get back on track on the 811 plan.

• the59soundthe59sound Raw Newbie

I am mono'ing watermelons as we speak, not on purpose, but because Jersey has them growing rapidly, organic and local. I've been eating about 30 pounds of melon a day and cycling about 4-6 hours a day. I barely drink any water, with the high content. It's amazing.

• the59soundthe59sound Raw Newbie

Great to see others interested in 8/1/1. Seeing this makes my day. Zinfandel rules.

@59sound- thank you daahlin' ;)

• AVLAVL Raw Newbie

I started my "melon island" today and so far so good. When I woke up I went for a long run (1.5 hours) and then this is what I've had to eat so far today:

9:30am - 1/4 watermelon, 1 cantaloupe

1:00pm - 1/2 watermelon, 1 cantaloupe & 1/2 cranshaw melon

4:15pm - 1/4 watermelon, 1/2 cantaloupe & 1/2 cranshaw melon

I was really hungry by lunch time that it took about 1.5 hours after eating lunch to feel full. I was weak and dizzy from 1:00pm- 2:30pm, then I felt ok. I was pretty hungry around 4:00. And now it's 5:20pm and I'm starting to get pretty hungry again. I usually don't eat dinner until 8:00pm, so I still have a few hours to go before eating. Should I stick with melons again for tonight or can I have a salad instead? I know that the whole point of an island is to give your body a break from food combinations, but I'm really craving a salad. I just don't feel like melons will be filling enough from tonight until tomorrow morning. Has anyone else had experience with this? It's not like I want to give up, not at all. I really want to do this, but I was just wandering I would still get all the benefits of an island if I ate melons all day but ate a salad for dinner. Thanks!

• luxdivonluxdivon Raw Newbie

you wouldnt' get the full benefit if you ate the salad, as your body would require that detox energy to process the salad..

• AVLAVL Raw Newbie

I know, but I'm sooooooo hungry :( The melon doesn't seem to keep me full, and I've eaten a lot.

Greens are a good source of minerals. Listen to your body. Just so long as you avoid the fat, you'll still detox. I think as we transition our goal should be to be balanced, not to be superheros. :) AVL, you'll get to where you want to be soon, I know it.

• AVLAVL Raw Newbie

You know I could still be eating melon, but I'm really craving geens. Would I be able to include other stuff with my greens, such as tomatoes, zucchini, peppers, seaweed? Can I use Bragg's soy dressing or lemon juice?

You make your own rules, hunny ;) Seaweed and braggs aren't 811 though. It's the direction, not the speed that matters, wise words from Dr. G.

• I am interested in any and all ideas to help with my digestion. Being that it's Labor day weekend and I have no food I am going to try and juice fast saturday sunday and monday. I think I might have a hard time digesting too much fat because whenever i travel (which is a lot) and I have limited resources i tend to eat a lot of fruit and simple meals and i don't have a problem. Raw and SAD I had/have a pretty hard time with salads that i buy at my salad place in new york because im limited on ingredients and the ones i use tend to be fatty like olives, olive oil and avocado all in one salad along with some carrots celery and tomato. Anyways I wish I was like some people on this sight who know exactly what bothers them and who pay attention to their body but I'm so bad at it!

iliveyourdream- i am busy learning food combining rules and follow them as closely as possible and try to limit combinations and i really think its helping!!! i need to get better at it though :)