Zucchini noodles- too watery, help!

Hi everyone, I've just recently started a 30-day trial on the raw food diet to see how it affected my system and my body. So far so good, my only complaint is that I spend so much time preparing to eat!

My question is this: last night I made zucchini noodles with a julienne slicer and combined it with a mixture of mushrooms, tomatoes, basil, olive oil, and a bit of salt. I thought that by soaking it overnight it would absorb all of the flavors (it worked with other recipes)- but I tasted it today and its gross! TOO watery, TOO mushroomy.

Any suggestions? I'm craving pasta and I want a rich flavor: what is the best way to get the most flavor?

oh and PS- I do NOT have a dehydrator yet...

Comments

• AVLAVL Raw Newbie

I don't tend to prepare mine in advance because the zucchini does get softer, especially if you put sauce in it. I find that it is best to prepare it right before you are going to eat it. I use the same ingredients for the sauce! It's pretty good :)

• thanks, AVL :)

• The salt in your sauce is drawing the water out of the squash. if I bring zucchini noodles to work, I keep the sauce separate, or else the volume of noodles goes WAY down. I don't know how thick you are making your noodles, but if the squash taste is too much, the thinner the noodle, the less you taste. You could also get some kelp noodles (refrigerated section of health food store or Asian market). They are a little chewy, but you can let them sit in sauce (I think it makes them better).

• LilEarthMuffinLilEarthMuffin Raw Newbie

Yes I agree with AVL i dont preapre the noodles in advance, i dont like it when they get all watery i cant get them down. Fresh made it the best :)

• Prepare the sauce in advance but not the noodles - If you leave the sauce to marinate overnight, it's amazingly delicious. I usually use fresh tomatoes, soaked sundried tomatoes, salt, oregano, a teeny bit of cinnamon, garlic, mushrooms and olive oil. Once you've peeled your zucchini, press it gently between a towel then spoon the sauce over it so you don't get all the runny, watery tomato juice at the bottom. SO GOOD!

• Chef ShuannaChef Shuanna Raw Newbie

I actually DO prefer to let my noodles sit just not overnight! I like to let them sit out for about 20 minutes just to soften them up a LITTLE bit. To make them feel more like regular noodles. Otherwise they can be crunchy...which isnt bad at all. It's actually good but I just prefer them to be a bit softer. Sometimes I will make enough noodles to last me for 3-4 days and I still don't have the issue of them becoming to watery at all. In fact, they stay pretty crisp. I do not store them with a sauce though.

Cheers and good health!

• sv3sv3 Raw Newbie

I've started to sprinkle salt over my noodles first to soften them up a bit. I let them sit for half an hour then drain off all the water and pay dry. They take on more of a soft pasta texture which I like.