Newbie needs feedback

I am newly transitioning to raw foods--80% raw diet. I find that if I have a juice or eat a piece of fruit etc. I get hungry about an hour or two later (it is physical hunger) and I get low blood sugar.

What are low fat/low cal meals & snacks that are satiating, taste good and stick with you for 3-4 hours.

Thanks!

Comments

• eechoeecho Raw Newbie

First, my un-professional hypothesis is that it wasn't physical hunger that you experianced. Since human beings can survive for more than a month without food, it is doubtful that you experianced this after two hours. Most people don't know what "true hunger" feels like, including myself, but we learn better glimpses of it over time. Most people's comfortable feeling of being "full" is really them being sick, physically stuffed with food. With raw food, your body is satiated with nutrients before it becomes physically full, so you don't get the same feeling. It takes some discipline to stick it out while you adjust chemically and psychologically.

Second, the best idea is to experiment for yourself, however I know that melons are pretty filling and low fat low cal.

• RawfoodGoddess, I tend to feel the same way after I eat fruit- about 2 hours later I feel hungry again (or just like eating, maybe it's not "true" hunger).

I just eat some more fruit a few hours later. Seriously.

Not everyone can eat every few hours, but when I am at work I tend to do that. We have a short break two hours into our shift, and then lunch half ways through. Then another break about two hours later. I pack "quick fruit" like bannas or something else you don't need to cut up (or already chopped up fruit like pineapple).

I don't know if you can do that, but for me it seems to be easier on my stomach.

• RawKarenRawKaren Raw Newbie

Too much sweet fruit and sweet juice can play havoc with blood sugar in the early days. You need to transition in a way that is more comfortable and so you can tell more easily what your body needs. Try more greens in your juices, but increase these gradually or you might feel worse initially. The strong greens like watercress, spinach and kale are especially good and are more sustainable from a hunger point of view. Large quantities of lemons and limes are also good. Carry large quantities of bananas for emergency moments, they help to keep you raw.

• AVLAVL Raw Newbie

rawfoodgoddess,

when I was transitioning 4 months ago I experienced the same thing as you. Fruit never kept me full for more than 2 hours, but now I eat mostly fruit during the day and a large salad at dinner. I had to transition gradually in order for my body to get used to it. Maybe what you can do is have 1 fruit meal a day (maybe breakfast or lunch) and eat "normally" the rest of the day. Then, when your body is used to eating only fruit for 1 meal, then add another fruit meal. This is an example of what I eat in a day:

Breakfast: 1 cantaloupe, 1/4 medium-sized watermelon, 1 cup blueberries (this is after 1 hour of cardio)

Snack: 1 banana (sometimes with a bit of almond butter if I am really hungry)

Lunch: 5 peaches, 1lb strawberries

Snack: 2 bananas or 2 apples

Dinner: Large salad with spinach or other greens, 1 cucumber, 1 zucchini, 1 pepper, a few baby carrots, 1/2 avocado, seaweed, mango, 1 tomato, fennel, a few olives, capers, with lemon/lime juice and Bragg's liquid soy for dressing.

Don't give up on yourself, you can do it! Just don't try to transition too quickly. It took me about 3 months to transition, by gradually cutting breads, edamame beans, protein bars, etc. I feel a lot better now that I eat like this, and when I decide to eat a cooked food, I really pay for it for the next 2 days.

I hope that this helps.!

• This is common as your body adjusts. Fruits are processed as sugar in your body so can drop you quickly. I also suggest filling in some with raw nuts. They offer the protein that tides you over. We also recommend that you eat more frequently. Hope that helps!

• Thanks to everyone for all the feedback. It is so helpful.

I have CFIDS (chronic fatigue immune dysfunction syndrome) and get low blood sugar--my body is in a very delicate balance. I have been feeling so awful--headachy, weak, brain fog etc. My husband expressed concern yesterday to me because I have been so out of balance and it's been hard for me to think clearly/function.

What I realize from his feedback and others is that I am transitioning too quickly and not getting enough protein. I ordered my new Vitamix last week (Yay!) but haven't gotten it yet--I think eating the fiber in smoothies will help with my hunger and blood sugar.

I also need to slow down and will have fruit or a juice or smoothie when I wake up. When I get hungry again, I will have something with protein (eggs, nuts, cheese etc.). I am going to make my goal going 50% raw for now (instead of 80%) and one thing I read said to have 50% at each meal--not the overall day. I'm going to try that too so that my body stays more in balance. I also read that start by adding raw foods--not taking away other foods and over time your body will gravitate to the raw foods more and more.

I like being in touch with my body and eating when I'm hungry and stopping when I'm full--as a result I don't each very much at one time so my body seems to need more mini meals.

I have so much to learn and have been feeling very overwhelmed--trying to figure out what a good routine is for my body to transition. I have lots of books to read & this site is fantastic.

I need to create more balance (as with everything) and trust that I will feel and function better. I feel such a relief that I have some clarity and a plan to move forward with.

Thank you so much for all the feedback!!!