Realistic?

How realistic is it to go so drastic on raw foods? I admit my skepticism...I am a runner and am wondering how this diet will play into my training. I run for hours at a time when training for marathons and low blood sugar is a very real issue for me. The reality is that running requires calories, calories are energy! I realize there are good and not-so-good ways to get those calories....but if I do not have energy stores to build on, I bonk! Suggestions? Thoughts?

Comments

• I have a friend who is a marathon runner and participates in triathlons. She is not a raw foodist, but incorporates green smoothies everyday. She found that this helps her with her strength, endurance and muscle recovery. This is a wonderful way to up your daily raw percentage ( not to mention that it's very beneficial for your overall health ).

• Hi, I too am a marathon runner and also a triathlete. I suffered with hypoglycemia for years. I was really skeptical at first when being introduced to this new way of living but I have to tell you that since switching over to mostly raw vegan, my runs are a lot better, I have less injuries and I am full of energy. I have been mostly raw for about 4 months now.

I transitioned slowly into this world though. I first cut out simple sugars, pickled products, breads etc, followed by red meat, dairy, then chicken and fish. I eat tons of veggies, fruits and some nuts and seeds. I have one warm vegan meal a day as I am still transitioning to being 100% raw in the next few months. My breakfast for my long runs is usually a huge bowl of fresh fruit salad along with chia seeds soaked in almond milk. The chia seeds make a huge difference in energy levels in my opinion. The night before a long run (longer than 18-22 miles) I will have a gluten-free vegan pizza or veggies with hummus (not raw).

During my long runs I replaced gatorade with the Vega Sport Performance Optimizer (by Sequel), which seems to be working well, although I don't care for the taste. I've had so much energy lately on my 22 mile runs that I haven't had to take any power gels. I've also started taking MacaSure which has many health benefits but I am taking it specifically for the balancing of hormones and blood sugars.

During the week, I get my calories from fruits, veggies, nuts, seeds, and if I feel that I'm not getting enough, I'll eat avocadoes (which are loaded with lots of healthy calories). I also occasionally have ezekiel bread, oatmeal etc as my warm nonraw meals.

Anyhow, in my opinion I think you should transition slowly, especially if you are training for an event. Good luck!

• Thanks, Tukiville! That is encouraging...I have not heard of that drink you talked about. I am just looking into Chia seeds and will start doing green smooothies very soon. I will see how this helps my energy level. Have you tried Bee Pollen?

• Hi Redtamberine! I haven't tried Bee pollen but have heard all about its benefits, have you tried it?

The sports drink is available in health food stores and they sell it in individual sample packs so that you can try it before buying the large container. I find it easier on digestion and balancing my blood sugars than Gatorade, although the taste takes time to get used to (I really hate the taste). Check it out at http://sequelnaturals.com/

Keep us updated on your progress!

• Can you tell me about MacaSure? What differences have you noticed since trying it? I have not yet tried Bee Pollen, but am doing a little research..I'm a bit confused about pills vs. granules, what the heck royal jelly is, etc. I have been told that because of the high humidity here in Arkansas, local bee pollen is not the best since the mold count is high. I will look into the drink you are talking about and maybe I can try a small pouch first. Right now I am drinking g2.