Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

CHLOROX BATH!?!1!?

Hey!

I am on Day 1 of a 7-14 day water fast. I decided to go to Barnes & Noble to pass the time and read through some books about fasting, detox, and to take a peek at Carol Alt’s new recipe book.

I started flipping through what seemed to be a fairly decent detox book, Detox and Revitalize: The Holistic Guide for Renewing Your Body, Mind, and Spirit, by Susana Belen. She had pretty good information about why you should detox, the benefits of fasting, and even hinted at a raw food diet at some points. I considered buying it, until I turned to one of the pages that recommended a CHLOROX bath. I reread the passage over and over, in complete disbelief, certain that she meant something other than chlorox BLEACH. She didn’t. The directions were something like; “Take one cup of Chlorox Bleach, fill a bathtub with water and the bleach, and soak for 20-30 minutes.” Be sure not to come in contact with undiluted bleach, and try not to breathe in the fumes while soaking.”

APPARENTLY its supposed to be a heavy metal/mercury cleanse. I’ve never before heard this in my LIFE. Bleach is a carcinogen! How could she possibly be publishing this? Has anyone else ever heard of this as a remedy?

wtf.

Comments

• newbienewbie Raw Newbie

it’s also horrible for the environment once you drain the tub. i’ve read that bathing in warm/hot polluted water (what most people have as their normal water) is not healthy b/c your pores open and absorb more of the pollutants/chemicals in the water. quick, cool showers are best to avoid absorbing pollutants.

• coconuttycoconutty Raw Newbie

Holy cow! Nope, can’t say I’ve ever heard of that before!

• NuttgirlNuttgirl Raw Newbie

Her books have received some pretty poor reviews.

Anyone who advocates bathing in bleach is just nuts, and not in a good way either.

• I never read any of Susana Belen Books so I can’t express any personal opinion, it seems a bit strange the fact that she writes about raw diets and then she bathe in rhodox, it doesn’t make any sense to me, unfortunately out there is full of fanatics that try hard to obtain optimal health, they don’t see any result and so they came up with new and complicated therapies without knowing that the secret is in the simple beauty of nature.

• jenergyjenergy Raw Newbie

Oh man, bad memories… I used to get really bad rashes from poison oak when I was a kid (but did I stay out of the woods? no way! hehehe) and my gramma would make me take bleach baths to dry it up. It worked, but UGH. It’s bad. Don’t do it!

• wouldn’t that RUIN your skin? I think it would be pretty difficult to not breathe in those fumes. Anyone doing that woudl get pretty sick.

I’m really amazed someone would recommend bathing in chlorox.

• jenergyjenergy Raw Newbie

That part made me laugh… take a bath in bleach, but don’t breathe! Yeah, riiiiight. The sad thing is there are people out there right now taking that idiotic advice.

• I’m with you Al, bleach is definitely a carcinogen! Yikes!! Just goes to prove that just because it’s in writing, doesn’t make it true.