Raw "freezer" recipes?

Hello!

I am pregnant now, and due in early October. I'm working on stocking my freezer with easy to prepare frozen foods (especially right now, while so many wonderful things are in season). I have a bunch of cooked meals in there (the rest of my family is not so into raw foods) and I'd like to freeze some single serving raw things that I can thaw and eat, especially during the day when I am by myself with a newborn and a four year old. I don't have a dehydrator, but I have used my oven with success in the past, and I don't think I'll mind having it on in the fall. I'll be nursing, so "heavier" nut based things are fine (maybe even preferred, I am always so hungry when I am nursing)

Can anyone recommend any recipes (or recipe components) that freeze well, either specific recipes, or just in general? I have had more luck freezing some vegetables than others in the past, but would love to hear about other peoples' experiences with that. Also, how do nut-based recipes usually fare in the freezer? I have a recipe for mock crab cakes that are almond/cashew based with some veggies, I was thinking those might work. Or mock salmon patties made with carrot pulp? Eggless salad made with macadamia nuts? What about nut based cheeses and sauces? I see a lot of nut based desserts that are frozen (I might do some of those in single servings too), so I am guessing other nut based recipes would work as well, but I've never tried it. Does anyone have any experience with this type of thing? Some of these recipes are kind of expensive to make, and I'd hate to ruin a batch by freezing it (also, I would be very disappointed about not having anything quick to eat!).

I am open to vegetable and fruit recipes too, of course, but I'd like to focus on things that are a little more labor intensive. I have a lot of things that can be thrown together quickly, but since it will be cooler and I will be nursing, I know I'll want things that are more filling than salads or smoothies. It'll be nice if I can save myself a few trips to the store for fresh ingredients too.

Comments

• LaEnsaladaLaEnsalada Raw Newbie

I'm wondering about freezer recipes too, except ones that use a minimal amount of nuts. I want to stock up for winter because it's difficult to find cheap, fresh produce in Boston during the winter months.

• PamPam

I have had success freezing sausage and pepper pizzas (or just the crusts), lemon cookies, onion bread, but they are all dehydrator recipes. I wasn't sure whether you were looking for dehydrator recipes or not...

• I am in Michigan, so I know what you mean about the produce! I do know that peppers and berries freeze well. I use the berries in smoothies and I chop the peppers into different sizes and just add them to recipes. Peppers, especially, are so cheap here right now, and I have a lot of raw recipes that use red peppers, which are crazy expensive in the winter. The only thing is, I've never used the frozen peppers uncooked, so I don't know if it would effect the texture. I don't think it would matter in a recipe where they are blended though.

I can do some dehydrator recipes, but some things don't work as well in the oven. I bet anything dehydrated would probably freeze well though (I hadn't thought about that). I haven't tried the lemon cookies, but I should (and macaroons have worked well in the oven for me in the past). Thanks for the ideas!

• luxdivonluxdivon Raw Newbie

so what's the deal with freezing? do we actually know for sure that when it dethaws it still has all the same nutrients? I kind of wonder if it's really alive, or if its like more half-dead at that point. Any thoughts on this would be grand... If it's all go on this, then maybe i'll start freezing some stuff..so far we don't freeze or dehydrate.. (don't have a dehydrator) cheers!

• I have heard that freezing does not really affect enzymes. Obviously, over time, there will be a loss of nutrients. Fresh is always better, but not always ideal.

I don't normally freeze food. It's just that with a new baby coming at such a busy time of year, and with two other kids already, I want to make sure I have food that is healthy, quick and easy to prepare. I'll be breastfeeding, so I know I will need a lot of calories, and better frozen raw foods than many other quick options. I imagine I will use whatever is in there during the first month or two (depending on how much I can make ahead), so I don't anticipate a huge loss of nutrients during that time (and it's still better than, say, Lean Cuisine - not that I would eat that anyway!).

• freezing does not affect foods of little water content

• sv3sv3 Raw Newbie

Hi MerelyGod, I have frozen batches of my bread/crackers and they have always been fine once defrosted. I always keep little carob truffles in my freezer for any chocolate cravings which may occur. I've frozen some almond and carrot pulp but haven't used them yet so don't know what they're like yet.

I know freezing things probably isn't the best for optimum health/nutrition, but I refuse to give up my banana whip!

If it stops me eating sad junk, I don't care whether it's technical raw or not! (I'm not trying to be100% so it's not an issue for me anyways!)

Best wishes with your newborn MerelyGod! :-)