Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

What to eat from the raw world when one has an upset stomach?

I have been almost 100% raw for about 10 days, pretty much cold turkey. No real problems so far. Until last nigh I had a HUGE salad (basically a whole large head of romaine plus veggies, not much for dressing) and afterwards - ahhh!- the sweet tooth took over and I ate a whole dark but not raw chocolate bar.... it was not a happy night, bloating, nausea, diarrhea... and it's now mid-morning and I still feel like crap. Since I am new to raw I assume it could have been the amount of salad, but more likely the chocolate. I have not been eating much for fats except for some oil an the occasional avocado because I need to lose weight. My question: With what foods do people in the raw world soothe their upset stomach? If I were still in the cooking world I would make myself a oatmeal soup or a couple slices of toast - but in raw? Any suggestions? Thanks lots

Deborah

Comments

• luxdivonluxdivon Raw Newbie

steel cut soaked oats...spiced to your liking (usually for me it's cinnamon, clove, ginger and I love dates cut up in it as well, although i'm not sure how that would be with your stomach...

ginger...If you can stomach it, just nibble on the end of some raw ginger, it helps! otherwise blend in a smoothie..

The ginger meditation tea with lavender (if you happen to have some) is delicious, although not raw.. its hot tea.

• don't eat anything, our bodies can only take energy to do one thing at a time. If you are sick don't eat so that the body can take that energy to heal what is wrong. If you eat it will only take longer because the body has to us the energy to digest the food.

God Bless

• missemymissemy Raw Newbie

Yes, the teas are good for some things, but I wonder why I feel I "should" be eating something when I can't even look at food. it always backfires. (or is it giving into the belief that if I just take something I will feel better) just giving your system a chance to deal with it, unfortunatly that means feeling the pain. But when we do that we are less likly to do something stupid (no offense I am the queen of mess ups) next time. It's like when your computer won't respond and we keep clicking on links.....when I sit back and wait it figures things out and starts working again. Hope you feel better soon. I know how you feel ;)

• giner tea

• SuasoriaSuasoria Raw Newbie

Sorry, I didn't read the previous responses, but ginger and mint are both soothing for the digestive system.

• juicefastfanjuicefastfan Raw Newbie

I always do live juices only when I have"tummy troubles". It still gives me the nutrients I need for the day, but gives my digestive tract the break it needs to restore itself. And, the previous posters are spot on about ginger being great for digestion problems.

• superfood2superfood2 Raw Newbie

plain spinach or mixed greens

mono eating fruit

or nothing at all

• JoyceHJoyceH Raw Newbie

If I have an upset stomach or feel that something didn't sit right, I find that exercise seems to usually work, especially going for a nice run. But wait a bit after you have eaten as that could make it worse (a couple hours)

• camiheartsrawcamiheartsraw Raw Newbie

Fennel is fantastic. Slippery Elm and marshmallow teas. I supplement with l-glutamine and probiotics - probably not raw. If it's possibly a bacterial issue, garlic and oregano help. Going light on food for 24 hours and then starting back with soft foods and I stay away from things that are rough like flax and grains. I also like sauerkraut and umeboshi because of the live cultures provided.

Unfortunately digestive issues are something I'm very familiar with :P

• I just the other day made my husband a fennel juice. With some cucumber and carrots. Worked immediately!

• Thanks lots to all you guys - funny enough, I have an upset stomach again today just as I am reading all these responses :-). I guess I thought I had to eat something so I would not keel over at work. Ginger Tea, I think I heard that before, and fennel, too - as a matter of fact, I believe I have fennel tea somewhere! I suppose one is always to drink water, even if one does not feel like putting anything in one's stomach?

• LilEarthMuffinLilEarthMuffin Raw Newbie

fruit and veggie juices are good, so are blended salads or green smoothies. i diagree however with what was said about not eating at all. your body needs some kind of calories, otherwise it will enter starvation mode and you could end up with a much worse problem then bit of bloating. drink lots of water, and i always use a heating pad. :)

• The best remedy I have found is onion broth, yes it's cooked but it may be the only thing that helps. Cut up a few onions boil them in water til soft drink the liquid only (no eating) you can add salt to taste.