Is there such a thing as too much fiber?

SystemSystem Raw Newbie

Just got my new dehydrator a few days ago and the first thing I made was the Even Better Onion Bread recipe (sunflower/flax/onion/carrot/apple) because I've been hankering after a sandwich like nobody's business for months and today my stomach was all bloated and hard and I was constipated. My health-nut dad (who is not raw) has told me time and time again that fiber is a delicate balance and that, while it can clean house, can also have the opposite effect if too much is ingested. Could this possibly be the problem?

My normal eating routine consists of fruit (mango+apple+banana+raspberries) for breakfast, big salad with sprouted lentils and homemade live dressing (or just flax oil and salt) and usually a raw soup and salad for dinner so I'm obviously ingesting green fiber. I've never been big on the nuts, seeds or flax so maybe that's the problem?

This is so depressing because I was SO looking forward to bread and I'm having a problem finding a recipe without nuts/seeds/flax that don't require psyillium (sp?) powder or husk (there is no way I can get this where I live).

Eep! Help!

Comments

• I was just "googling" your question since I was curious. Seems like a lot of people say yes. I personally have never had a problem. The health sites mentioning too much fiber caution that you should drink plenty of water (I'm assuming that they are thinking more of grains and such instead of raw fruits and veggies that have high water in them already).

Personally, I have never had a problem. But, my husband has (when starting to eat high fiber cereals from the health food store.)

If it constipates you, back off a bit. Sometimes you can have too much of a good thing evidently.

• the59soundthe59sound Raw Newbie

You're eating dead, dehydrated food. That would bloat me too...

• zinfandelzinfandel Raw Newbie

It's not the fiber that's to blame. Check out the 811 diet, people on that diet eat 30+ bananas a day with no problems.

• the59soundthe59sound Raw Newbie

We sure do. We also tend to burn a minimum of 1500 calories a day, though. :)

• missemymissemy Raw Newbie

But isn't dehydrated food still alive, otherwise what would be the point of dehydrating it. But it's still a pretty big bulk of stuff going through your system, and nuts and seeds are just harder to digest. I ate way too many cashew when I first started this, I just do better on the raw veggies, and just a little dense protien. If it were me, and I know this isn't raw, but would take my liquid fiber to help move it along. or magnesium...I hate that feeling !

• eechoeecho Raw Newbie

If you eat a lot of fruit, then the water makes it easier to digest. Dehydrating foods is similar to cooking it in that water is being removed. So, that difference could be upsetting regardless of fiber. If you wish to continue eating your raw bread, here are a few suggestions

1) Eat less of it in a meal; make it one course out of a couple, and make it the last one since it will take the longest to digest

2) Experiment with different recipies; perhaps you were just bothered by the combination of ingredients in the one recipe you used

3) For any seeds or nuts you use, soak them first in order to remove the enzyme inhibiters

4) Instead of dehydrated bread, consider using greens to make your sandwhiches. Collards and romaine work well.

Of course, the ultimate goal is to eat nothing dehydrated at all.

• superfood2superfood2 Raw Newbie

Flax seeds do that to me as well. I tend to think any nuts and seeds (and legumes and grains and onions and garlic) are inferior to fruit and greens. Fiber is fine. Just get most of yours from FRESH foods.

• dogsuponhotcatsdogsuponhotcats Raw Newbie

OH YES. Highlights: Fetal position, permanent residency in the loo.

And 30+ bananas a day... I wouldn't imagine that bananas have any fiber. Idk I could be wrong, but they just seem too heavenly and creamy. Eating fibrous foods is "roughing it", and usually a self-coercive way to force yourself healthy.

• Bananas have 6 grams of fiber per 1 cup mashed, just to let you know.

• eechoeecho Raw Newbie

Oh my gosh, let's not get into bananas here, lol

• superfood2superfood2 Raw Newbie

haha, eecho and i are banned from discussing that fruit.....

• hannahmariehannahmarie Raw Newbie

maybe it's the way you combined foods.

• "You're eating dead, dehydrated food. That would bloat me too..."

Hmmm...I don't eat a ton of dehydrated food, but occassionally I do. I never get bloated from it.

• schmoopeeschmoopee Raw Newbie

Sorry if this is obvious...

There are 2 types of fiber: Soluble (flax, chia, oats, psyllium, cooked beans, banana, apple...) and insoluble (roughage, as in greens + veggies)--both are important. soluble is a slower exit fiber, requires more water because it pulls water from your gut to make a gelatinous goo--making you feel "bloated." But soluble fiber is also great for really cleansing every nook and cranny. It also reduces the risk of heart disease, slows the absorption of glucose in the blood which helps stabilize blood sugar. There's a reason why it's slower in your system and that's not a bad thing. One persons "bloating" is another persons feeling of fullness and satisfaction.

It's all relative, if you are use to eating more insoluble fiber (veggies, quicker exit foods), soluble fiber will make you feel more bloated and sluggish--too grounding for you. And, of course, the fats in the seeds and nuts slow digestion as well. you may appreciate it more in the winter when you might be looking for something more warming and comforting.

I always take a digestive enzyme supplement with nuts and seeds to get them moving thru faster. That might help. And chew, chew, chew!!! The best way to get things moving again is to follow the bread up with lots of insoluble fiber (veggies) to push it on thru. Was that too graphic? ;)

• schmoopeeschmoopee Raw Newbie

OH! try wraps instead, might be easier on your digestion. There's a great sweet potato wrap, its one of the home page pics...you can make it with less flax and it'll be fine. you can also dehydrate thai coconut meat and some of its water and it makes a great wrap like a fresh spring roll wrapper.