Anyone else here with SLE?

Hi All,

I am new to the world of raw and I love it so far. I am not 100% raw (more like 80-90%), but already have experienced a surge in energy. I am working towards going 100% through expanding my recipes and gathering more knowledge to be able to follow this lifestyle and maintain my health. Because of Systemic Lupus, it is very hard for me to absorb food properly so I was always eating a lot of food and not getting much of anything out of it! I also have a boat load of allergies, which is very frustrating. I am allergic to eggs, soy, wheat, corn, barley, rye, milk, yeast, tomatoes, strawberries, apples etc. etc. I thought I could never become vegan because of my allergies to grains (including a slight allergy to rice) and soy, and was so happy when my sister-in-law sent me Ani Phyo's Raw Food Kitchen! I thought, "This is something I can do!"

I have actually gained weight on the diet - something I had been unable to do because of my health problems. I hope to maintain this energy level and weight so I can start exercising! This is the best I've felt in 5 years - since before my diagnosis - and I feel closer to my 29 years instead of 80 :) I feel very lucky to be located in Seattle with all of the raw resources here and have a supportive family - even if they want to stay on a SAD diet! That being said, they love a lot of my new food creations. The diet is a bit spendy, but I'm sure what I'm spending I am saving in ER/medical bills.

Thanks for letting me join!

Comments

• luxdivonluxdivon Raw Newbie

That's so awesome it is making you feel better. It will definitely save you in Medical bills! Make sure to keep us updating as to how you're doing, everyone is very helpful & supportive here. You might want to look up some threads on "allergies" seems like I read some stuff on being able to restart your system, and reduce food allergies, but I can't remember where on here I saw it..anywayz.. Welcome!

• schmoopeeschmoopee Raw Newbie

That's incredible Cami! I'm so happy its relieving your pain. Its amazing how abundant it all feels, you barely notice what's missing after a while.

One thing that helped me was to make a list of all the problems and pains that I had before I went raw...now when it gets a little tough I take the list out to remind me of how I use to feel. The longer you feel great you start to forget how bad you felt--it helps to have the list to remind you.

I'm in Seattle too. Have you discovered rawvegansource.com yet? They're out in Redmond, they have everything you could need and then some :)

• camiheartsrawcamiheartsraw Raw Newbie

Oooh I hadn't seen that yet. Vitamix *drool*.... I don't have a vitamix yet, but it's on my wish list :) Maybe after the wedding and honeymoon we can spring for one.

I stopped by Thrive last week in Ravenna and man do they have the best smoothies. I got the coconutty with vanilla - reminiscent of my favorite milkshake (cookies n' cream) but without the sugar crash! It's nice to have raw vegan restaurant options.

Cami