Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Your non raw treats?

Raw PassionRaw Passion Raw Newbie

Im just curious, for those of you who aren't raw food saints, what cooked food could you not give up?

For me it's my soya hot chocolate, cooked beans(lentils etc) and hot soup in winter. Oh and my hot cup of green tea. I permit myself soya milk as it has b-12 and since I hate taking supplements this suits me well, and green tea maybe cooked in hot water but its still antioxidant and let's face it most beans need to be cooked :P

So, what's your guilty cooked food?

Comments

• AVLAVL Raw Newbie

My guilty food is bread (gluten-free). I try to stay away from it as much as I can, but I usually have a slice or 2 per week.

• joannabananajoannabanana Raw Newbie

it changes for me every week haha i want something else and i'll just have it. one week i might want steamed broccoli and the other i might want some beans in my salad. ever since commuting to school, i've been taking larabars because there's NO way i'm carrying a sack of bananas in my already 80 lb backpack. they aren't raw, but they fill me up until i can home and have a smoothie

• superfood2superfood2 Raw Newbie

When I first started high raw, it was a soy latte (decaf but obviously still has caffeine). Now I don't consider cooked food a treat. It's a last resort if I haven't obtained enough calories from raw, like at an airport that has no fruit (believe it or not, this happens). Even then I try to get something mostly raw. And I don't feel well afterwards. Cooked food usually burns my stomach. It's nasty. It will always be vegan, whatever I get, of course.

I do drink tea sometimes but I don't consider that as counting as cooked food considering it has no calories.

• For me it has been when I am out to eat and need something that I can find like black olives on my salad instead of dressing.

Or a baked potato with olive oil and sea salt and black pepper, or a baked sweet potato with raw honey and cinn,cloves.

The only other thing is sushi veggi type with NO RICE but the nori sheet is toasted.

I figure if that is the worst I do once a month or so ...it's not too bad. Jodi

• LaEnsaladaLaEnsalada Raw Newbie

i have soy cappuccinos every once in a while, they're just so delicious! I also drink black coffee a lot, I'm trying not to drink as much of it though. I always feel really dehydrated when I drink it.

• luxdivonluxdivon Raw Newbie

i'm probably around 85% raw and here are my weaknesses!

Coffee, and still Skinny Lattes across the street from where i work. sometimes it's a matter of sanity.

I have gotten better thou. I sometimes now choose kombucha over coffee.

chile & lime white corn chips. I eat them with my raw fruit/veggies at work for lunch.

We have a beer once a week when we go to the grocery store. Usually a porter.. so yummy :)

Once a month we go out and have a cooked meal..

one month it was salmon with steamed veggies and rice. so delicious.

this month it was veggies enchiladas in corn wraps with cheese. so delicious.

Both times I fared quite well afterwards thankfully.

Both time it was at our all time favorite local restaurant Magnolias.

My boss even offered me a home baked cookie yesterday, and I just shook my head.

I don't eat cookies. He said give it to my boyfriend. I said my boyfriend doesn't eat cookies either..

heheehe.. I think that might be the first time in my life i've refused a cookie. Cheers!

• the59soundthe59sound Raw Newbie

My body handles cooked low fat food pretty well, however, I beat myself up over it after I am done consuming it. When I eat cooked food it's usually quinoa or some type of bean.

• juicefastfanjuicefastfan Raw Newbie

French Fries! I only have them maybe once every couple months when we go out and theres nothing else but a crappy chef salad with iceberg lettuce on the menu. Other than that I try to stay away from them cus otherwise I would want them everyday! I'm prolly around 85% raw...maybe more....100% vegan...I have one cooked item with dinner maybe once or twice a week, usually its quinoa or brown rice, so I guess those would count too.

• Joannabanana: I thought Larabars were raw, at least some of them, it says so on the packaging... are they lying?

rawemotions, i emailed the company about them when i first saw them a year ago. the nuts are not really raw nuts- they are pastuerized.

i love them though!! the peanut butter cookie is definitely my favorite. apple pie comes in at a close second.

• schmoopeeschmoopee Raw Newbie

joannabanana,

I think its pretty easy to make raw versions of larabars if you wanted to. I've seen recipes on the site here.

http://goneraw.com/node/1176

http://goneraw.com/node/7893

http://goneraw.com/node/9561

• joannabanana - thanks for the info! Bummer though, I thought I was doing good and being raw eating those, I have quite the stack, and I was being careful to buy only the ones they claim to be raw and not just 60% raw etc. False advertising, ha! Oh well... I think I should try one of the recipes schmoopee linked to - thanks! - , the first one looks really like it would be pretty close to a larabar, and one could replace the nuts with different kinds... (in larabar the pistachio and the cashew are my faves).

thanks, schmoopee!! i used to make lots of bars when i was into assembling/creating recipes. now i'm just too tired and i'm not home too much. the last one you posted (with the strawberry puree) sounds absolutely amazing!! i've never had a strawberry flavored one. have you made these before?

• Belgian beer...thinking about it makes me swoon

• RawEverythingRawEverything Raw Newbie

My now raw treats are:

chees-butterflys (don know the english name):

http://images.smulweb.nl/shops/delicatessen/41_401_09.jpg

and little bag of chips (20 grams).

Love them.

But on the 2+ kilo's of raw food a day I think I can manage this little toxicity 8).

• organic fair trade coffee (zapatistacoffee is the best)

really good beer

raw organic cheese

and anything else i want.

all in moderation of course except the coffee.. i have that every day..

i ride a pedicab for a living so some times i just need food so i eat.

like today

their is a U.T. football game and i'm going to go ride my pedicab for about 12-14 hours..

i will eat... i have a stock of nuts and fruits though.

as soon as i have more money i plan to bring the master cleans juice with me and use it as a nutrition/sports drink.

i've done it once and it worked great.. in fact it worked amazing.

ACL is coming up in October and that is going to be 3 12-14 hour days in a row..... its hard freaking core.

if you have never physically and mentally pushed your body past the extremes you would never understand what i do, and yes i only do it for the money :)

i would say i'm about 80-90 percent raw and that is counting nuts in the non raw 10-20 percent (because the are not raw)

as of late i have been going more fruit.. mostly out of laziness but dang that stuff is yummy for my tummy :)

now i need to go eat a melon, cheers!

• schmoopeeschmoopee Raw Newbie

joannabanana,

nah--sadly I have a date problem ;) especially when combined with almond butter!!

I try to limit them...but they all sound delicious.

• Plain yoghurt with honey. This is my comfort food.

• malchusmommalchusmom Raw Newbie

for me is Beer,i try to get the organic one in Wholefoods,but if i go to a social gathering which is like every 2 to 3 months i like Mojito drink or a long island ice tea,oppsss!!! lol

• the_chumanathe_chumana Raw Newbie

I'm 99% Raw. Once a week or less I indulge in homemade chai with soy at the local coffee shop. Every few weeks I have a bowl of soup at this amazing Hmong restaurant. I am weaning myself from the chai, but that soup is the greatest, freshest thing I've ever tasted! Its made per order from fresh ingredients. I am trying to perfect a raw version, but I have to keep going back to compare, ya know? Make sure mine tastes just like theirs!

• the_chumanathe_chumana Raw Newbie

And those larabars! I will NEVER eat one again. False advertising for sure. Time to make them at home.

• OceanBlissOceanBliss Raw Newbie

Organic coffee, everyday. I love it too much to give up. Also my moms amazing apple pie every Christmas, it's hypnotizing...you can't say no! It's impossible. And one more thing, I'll make an organic free-range omelet at least once a month with mushrooms, tomatoes, onions, garlic, sea salt & pepper. I used to love eggs!

• sv3sv3 Raw Newbie

It's interesting to see how many people have said coffee. Never liked the stuff thankfully.

I'm only about 80-85% raw so I do eat quite a bit of cooked. It's normally just steamed veggies, baked sweet potato, squash, hummus, stuff like that. Oh, I do eat quite a cooked few beans and lentils, etc.

I don't consider these a big deal in the whole scheme of things. I don't think of them as 'treats' though, just my staple cooked foods.

I really love these non raw gluten free onion and herb crackers which I am a bit additcted to and I eat them when I want crisps. Crisps are one of my non raw treats, oh, and cider. I love a cold pear cider on a warm summers day!

• I would have to say coffee as well.

• ugh coffee is my addiction =-( and coffee bean has free internet so I always use that as an excuse to go =-(

• French fries! I don't know if I will ever be able to entirely give them up. I also really enjoy refried beans and I like to lightly saute my zucchini and summer squash in olive oil. Yum!

• Chef ShuannaChef Shuanna Raw Newbie

Black coffee. Though I drink it less and less each day! I was a coffee roaster so it was my job to taste coffee. I JUST got out of the industry after 7 years so I am slowly weaning myself off. I dont necessarily want to wean myself off but my body just doesn't crave it much anymore. But its my treat. If I werent raw it would be beans and rice. God...I could inject beans and Rice in my arm and be perfectly happy!

Yummy.

Cheers!

http://www.myrawconsciousness.blogspot.com

• OceanBlissOceanBliss Raw Newbie

"I could inject beans and Rice in my arm and be perfectly happy!"

Hahah! Now that would be hilarious!! But isn't tasting it the best part? I love rice, particularly Chinese rice but the MSG kicks it for me. Or I would probably give in like once a month. It used to be my absolute fave when I was non-raw.

• I second the beans and rice. But I've graduated to just beans, with salad, and quinoa occasionally. This is not counting, of course, the days where I just eat whatever I want (vegan) and then feel terrible afterwards. Ugh. This entire past week has been one of those days.

• hannahmariehannahmarie Raw Newbie

i'm not even close to 100%, but i really really love and can't seem to substitute:

beans/lentils

plain old chocolate. they seem to have some at a local HFS, but it's about 10$ for 1 or 2 oz. ummm no.

actually, just cheap things (mostly sweets), in general. it's pretty expensive to make raw ice cream and such.