Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Melon island gone wrong?

AVLAVL Raw Newbie

I started a melon island 6 days ago, where I would only eat melon (a variety of melons, like watermelon, cantaloupe, honeydew, cranshaw) until dinner. Then for dinner I ate a salad with no fat. The reason I ate the salad at night is because I really couldn't eat that much melon and I was craving greens by the end of the day. At first I felt great and I would feel relieved after going to the bathroom, I had a lot of energy and kind of felt euphoric. But now, my stomach is really bloated (like I'm 3 months pregnant!), I have diarrhea and I don't feel relieved after I go to the bathroom (and I go 4 times a day). Why am I feeling this way? Am I eating too much melon?

Comments

• superfood2superfood2 Raw Newbie

Hmm. I don't know. I'd wait and see what tomorrow brings. If you have this problem tomorrow, just water fast for half a day and see if whatever is causing the problem works itself out.

• My opinion, listen to your body. It sounds like your body does not like going that long on only melons (with just a bit of greens). I guess what I'm trying to say is that I don't think YOU aren't doing the fast incorrectly. Your body just knows when you have fasted enough.

• Chef ShuannaChef Shuanna Raw Newbie

This is so funny because this is exactly how I felt roughly a week ago. You and I had talked about starting some kind of cleanse at the same time. I figured out that it was my new addition of MSM that was making my tummy feel bloated as hell. I also felt like I could have been 3 months preggers! The diet your describing is my standard everyday diet. I prefer fruits and juices until dinner, then at dinner time I have a soup (recently loving corn chowder) or my pesto or something. But I to crave those greens more in the evening time. Works well for me. In fact...my body thrives off of this routine. I was losing around 1 1/5lbs per week. Sometimes 2lbs a week with this diet. Granted I workout on a regular basis.

Is there something different in your diet? Could it be something else...not the fact that you eat melons by day and greens by night? Any new supplements?

• AVLAVL Raw Newbie

iliveyourdream - there wasn't anything different with my diet, but it could be PMS so it'll give it another go at it and see if it is different. I lost 1.5lbs in a week but gained it back because last night I gave in and had bread (lots of it) to sooth my stomach. So I'm sure that it's a lot of gas, but I feel really bloated now because of the bread. But, anyways, glad to know that I wasn't the only one experiencing problems!

• threnodythrenody Raw Newbie

I suggest you don't try anything like that again - it is very, very destructive to your body to go back and forth between only melons / no fat and eating tons of cooked food, and I don't think you come out of it any more 'cleansed' then the week before.

• AVLAVL Raw Newbie

threnody - tell me about it, I will not go back and forth between cooked foods and melon. I felt horrible! I have kept my melon meals for breakfast and lunch, but I eat 2 apples or bananas for snacks and a low fat vegetable-based dinner. I felt a lot better today.

• threnodythrenody Raw Newbie

Yeah, once a long long time ago I desperately broke a watermelon fast with spicy cooked tomato sauce and peanut butter - it was absolutely terrible. Melons are pretty intense either way, but it is good you feel better.

• When you do a watermelon cleanse you don't eat anything else but watermelon, watermelon juice, or pure water.

what you were doing is eating fruit in the day and veggies for dinner.

I have never heard of eating just all melons before, Just the watermelon cleanse so maybe I don't understand the type of cleanse you were doing.

Also melons do have a lot of sugar and water in them so your bloating could have been from that.

Aslo did you eat the rind of the watermelon because it has tons of enzymes and vitamins.

I am glad you feel better keep it up! :)

• AVLAVL Raw Newbie

nancyk70 - The first 2 days I only ate melon all day (nothing else), but then I was craving greens like crazy so I would eat melon until dinner. So it's not really a cleanse anymore, but I "feel" cleaner doing it. So it's more like a way of eating now.

• Thats wonderful I'm glad to hear you feel good

I hope your continuing to feel better. I myself have been seriously craving heavy foods lately. Still all raw but I have been craving heavy nut based pates for breakfast and Pasta dishes at night. I think I decided I am on my period or something. Since I have an IUD I dont get periods and thus have no clue when the hell I am PMSing. I have to go solely by how I feel. This evening I had this raging craving for chocolate so I made a couple varieties of my chocolate brownie cookies, chocolate truffle cookies ad almond joy cookies. Of my batch ..I think I have like two left.

For the most part though I do like to follow the fruits rule until dinner. Well, fruits and juices. I will add veggies in my juices like carrots or spinach. Dont beat yourself up for falling off the fruits til dinner plan. Sometimes hormones need a dozen truffle cookies! Hope your doing well!

Cheers

• I wonder if it's the kind of melon that makes you feel bad? I love to eat watermelons, and they never hurt my stomach at all. But last week I had only honeydew melon for lunch and I had really bad gas pains and cramps and bloating for the rest of the day. It was really uncomfortable.

• AVLAVL Raw Newbie

I'm feeling better, but still a little bloated. I'm going for my first colonic tomorrow, so hopefully that will help. I think that one of the reasons why I was feeling bloated was because I had missed my period in August and it was pretty light in July. I finally got a regular period last week, and I feel like all the build up of hormones finally released itself. It was not just a bloated feeling in my stomach that I was feeling, but bloated all over my body (you know that feeling before you get your period?).

Also, I'm really suprised that by eating a low fat, mostly fruit diet (greens in the evening), I haven't lost any weight. I would assume that I would have at least lost a couple of pounds...but nothing. It's not like I really need to lose weight, but I would like to lose 5-10lbs, just to be trimmer. Could I still be eating too much, although it's mostly fruit?

• Maybe your body is going into "survival mode" from the fasts and it's slowing your metabolism? Just a thought...

• Hi AVL/sisterbecky - Not to change the subject, but I have been a veggie for 25 years and decided to change to raw foods.. I craved loads of food for the first week and felt rather shattered with terrible headaches.. Second week things improved and my eating habits slowed down.. But I haven't lost any weight.. In fact I think I have gained a few pounds :( not sure what I am doing wrong- any advice?

• the_chumanathe_chumana Raw Newbie

Watermelons are not a true melon and should be eaten alone. Wait 20 minutes to eat any other food. Look into food combining. Follow the rules, no more indigestion! I would also recommend a watermelon fast rather than a melon!

• Dancin DurianDancin Durian Raw Newbie

Your body is going to loose and gain weight at its own pace. There are so many other factors involved than calories in vs. calories out. You might even be surpriesed that once day, after changing nothing, your body will jsut start letting go of weight. Try not to focus on that so much, it makes it to hard. Just focus on balancing your diet, I don't think it is good for your body to do extremes. That could be a reason that you arnt loosing weight, because it is freeked out because of all the change ups! Hope all you feel great!

• joannabananajoannabanana Raw Newbie

avl and trajacks, i've actually gained weight on this diet but look a lot firmer and i'm SO much stronger. i don't go by pounds really because muscle weighs more than fat. i'm working on getting my body fat percentage to be lower. it's not where i'd prefer it to be so i've been doing lots of cardio.

• AVLAVL Raw Newbie

Thanks joannabanana :)

I guess I weight about the same (give or take a pound or two depending on the day), but I do have a lot more energy during my workouts. I am pretty muscular so I know that a lot of my weight is muscle mass. I guess it's just a little depressing to hear about all these people that are losing weight, and I'm not. But I'm assuming that those who lost a lot of weight probably didn't eat well at all before going raw. I always ate very well before going raw, so that probably makes a difference.

• FortuneFortune Raw Newbie

AVL, it sounds like you may be bloated and uncomfortable because of the high sugar content in melons. Also, many melons are contaminated with mould (the rind is, and when you cut through with a knife you transfer the mould to the inside), which could very well be causing bloating. Could be a food allergy too. Maybe your body is trying to tell you something - bodies are not designed to feel pain/discomfort for NO reason.

I also suspect that you are not losing any weight because a) maybe you don't need to lose weight, and b) fruits do not promote weight loss - they are high in sugar, which your body either uses immediately (hence more energy during workouts), or stores as fat. Also, protein and essential fat deficiencies will stall weight loss and can promote many disease conditions - and remember there is little to no protein or essential fat in fruit.

Juice, fruit and smoothie cleanses are great when used appropriately, but they do not address all health concerns. Sometimes the body needs to be nourished instead of cleansed.

I once again I am in the same boat as you AVL. I was dropping pounds like crazy and now...nothing. I have stopped. Hit a plateau if you will. I have been working out like mad lately too burning at least 500 calories at the gym 5 days a week. I am almost thinking that I eat too little and am not getting enough calories so my body is in reserve mode. You know..I should know better..I was a personal trainer and worked in a gym for years. Always told people..."You wanna lose weight...eat more!"

I am going to stop juice fasting for a while and stop doing any types of cleanses for a while. I am going to repair and load up on nutrient rich foods and good healthy fats. I do however want to go to a more 'low fat' diet in the future. I do have a tendency to go heavy on the fats. I love Pate's and making seasoned nuts to snack on putting olive oil in my sauces. It's just so damn good!

Have you tried actually upping your caloric intake?

Cheers!

• AVLAVL Raw Newbie

I eat at least 2000 calories a day, do I don't think that eating too little is a problem. I think that my problem is eating too late at night. So I think that I have to change that bad habit. I mean, it's not like I'm eating junk, maybe a piece of fruit or 2, so sometimes I'm still full when I wake up in the morning, which is probably not a good thing!

• actually, I read once that food combinations can mess up your stomach. All food types digest at a different rate. For Example protein may take up to 4 hours to digest while a cantalop may only take 15 minutes so if you eat the two together or within an hour of eachother the melon has to wait for your body to digest the protein before it can start digesting the cantalope. meanwhile, the cantalope is just sitting there in your stomach waiting for the protein to digest forming a bloated gasy feeling in your stomach. =-) and that my friends is why we fart .