Worries about Nitrate in Leafy Greens

Since a few weeks, I'm adding leafy greens to my daily morning smoothie. But I remembered something about Nitrate and Leafy Greens and I looked it up at the website from the Voedingscentrum, the dutch government-supported website about food.

It warns people, eat leafy greens (and beetroot and fennel), but no more than two times a week, because of the harmful nitrate in it. Some of the nitrate comes from fertilizer, but not all. If you buy organic, they say you are better off. So. I'm eating at least 6 green smoothies a week and 3 of 4 salads, and some juices with beetroot or fennel. Have you ever heard about this? What to do with it? I'm worried.

Well I guess it's just one of those days. thanks if you can reassure me!

Comments

• juicefastfanjuicefastfan Raw Newbie

This is what one of the sites I frequent often, leafforlife.org had to say about this: (Imo, I'd rather have naturally occuring nitrates found in leafy greens than the nitrites in hot dogs and bacon :D)

http://www.leafforlife.org/PAGES/LEAFVEG.HTM

I don't know if this helps any or reassures you at all, but I like what it had to say about the Vitamin C, especially in Kale and stuff.

• Hi juicefastfan,

thanks for the link! I have read it, but am not completely reassured. You are right, better greens than bacon, and the vit C is great. But Kale is very hard to get here. Only in winter season... For now I am using spinach, paksoy and lettuce etc.

• RawEverythingRawEverything Raw Newbie

Hi, me from holland also, kale is in store again 8). lots of it

But its "het voedingscentrum" it's for normal people eating normal things, giving awards to food industry for innovation. raw-food vegan is not normal. Don't worry to much about nitrates raw-greens are a lot better then grains, potatoes, halvarine, cooked pork meat and dairy.

• thanks for the tip, i will look out for kale!

i know i'm not normal :) but this is info i trust though.

but you are right. i may get more nitrate from the greens but not from the other stuff :)

• juicefastfanjuicefastfan Raw Newbie

And, if you can, buy organic, the levels of nitrates in organic greens is quite a bit lower than in commercial greens. Something about the mineral depletion in commercial soil vs organic soil allows more to be built up in the plant (I think). Definitely wouldn't let it stop ya from eating/blending/juicing those greens =D