Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

do you like carob?

delalunadelaluna Raw Newbie

So I bought some carob powder for the first time, thinking I could substitute it for cocoa. My goodness, it tastes NOTHING like chocolate. It tastes like really bad roasted coffee. Is this how carob suppose to taste like? Or did I buy a bad brand?

What can I do with it to mask the strong awful taste? Or should I throw it out?

Comments

• missemymissemy Raw Newbie

My Dr told me I can't do chocolate as it's hard on the adrenalsand has caffiene, (and I have health issues, so have to be careful) so once you reside that it's the closest thing I will get to have, it's o.k. but I use it in ice cream. frozen bananas, a few cherries for fun, and carob powder. It tastes deccadent to me and no guilt, and more important I don't feel sick after, or feel like calling up people I have seen in years and saying "I love you man".....

and too, it would be like just putting coco in something without sugar. It defanantly needs a sweetner of some sort.

and at www.naturalzing.com they have some really wonderful carob treats, raw oreos, and truffles.

• delalunadelaluna Raw Newbie

missemy - carob itself, what does it taste like to you? Does it taste like roasted coffee? The powder that I bought has a really strong coffee scent. Is this how it supposed to be? (The scent grosses me out.)

well, maybe it's something your body doesn't want. I just went and tasted it, and it tasted pretty good. creamy actually. don't throw it out, send it to me ;)

sorry it's not something that works for you,

em

em - Does it taste sweet to you, or bitter?

I'd send it to you, but I'm in China~ :)

• It needs a sweetener. I like to mix mine 1/2 and 1/2 with raw cocoa and the raw carob and add plenty of sweetener.

HTH Jodi

no, but the one I have has sugar. but the ingrediants state it's just carob. and it does taste sweet. but like Jodi said, add sweetner and then see.

em

you know what, i think i bought the wrong kind. i got the roasted one, maybe this is why the taste is so bitter?

does yours look like this? (dark color)

http://www.spiceworld.uk.com/images/carobpowdersw.jpg

or this (light)

http://www.fresh-network.com/acatalog/carob-powder-m.jpg

• hannahmariehannahmarie Raw Newbie

i think carob is gross. not a replacement for cacao.

• Carob is great with bananas and sweetened to taste. Also you can try 1/2 carob and 1/2 cacao powder in your sweets treats or smoothies

Quick Frozen Carob Treast

Coco Banana mix 2 organic bananas with 1/4 cup of organic raw cacao powder and sweetened to taste with organic agave and cinnamon to taste then, freeze in ice cube tray.

Health Benefits of Carob

http://healthmad.com/nutrition/12-great-benefits-of-carob/

• RawaholicRawaholic Raw Newbie

Raw carob is lighter than the roasted. It tastes really yummy in my opinion when it's blended with some raw honey, vanilla, and bananas. I still prefer cacao powder over carob, but if your going for a more malty sort of flavor and less fat, I would stick to carob.

• LilEarthMuffinLilEarthMuffin Raw Newbie

I personally dont like it, it is just way to intense for my system and it makes me feel sick! But some people really enjoy it so I suppose its to each his/her own.

• carrie6292carrie6292 Raw Newbie

I actually really enjoy Carob - especially carob pods - a nice light snack/treat. You get used to Carob after the first few tries... it is NOT anything like Chocolate and if you are thinking that, then of course you will be disappointed... I hope you find a good alternative! You can always do 1/2 carob and 1/2 cacao powder....

• www.carobfruit.com here you can get detailed info about carob and also buy pure carob

• I ate some carob pods straight off the tree in Spain. Gorgeous!!

• CeidrenCeidren Raw Superstar

Oh yes, the fresh whole carob pods are delicous--I don't care for the raw carob powder, however (only the roasted carob powder tastes good in my opinion, but I can do without both kinds.)