just starting 80 10 10 needing some help.

hey my name is kylie i am new and have just started with in the past month eating raw.

so far not to bad but really hungry.

the past week i have been trying to eat the 80 10 10 diet with alot of fruit.

my hunger is getting worse.

this is what a day look like...........

breakfast : Large salad and 4 bananas

snack:2 apple

Lunch: 5-6 pieces of fruit

snack:2 apples

Dinner:same as breakfast.

how am i doing?

any suggetions?

Comments

• joannabananajoannabanana Raw Newbie

i thought the 80 10 10 diet was an excellent book. following the diet is just too hard for me! if you're too hungry, maybe you should add a little fat in the diet or just eat more fruit. are your salads made of greens or is it fruit salads? greens are really important on the diet. i think your diet sounds fine to me, but if you're still hungry after all of that, just eat more, especially if you're exercising on top of that.

• I'm with Joannabana on the adding a little bit of fat to your diet. I know a big part of the 80/10/10 diet is low fat (10%), but I wonder if what you are eating is even getting you near the 10%? I know fruits and veggies have some fat- but they don't have that much. Don't fill your diet with tons of nuts and several avacados each day. But, I would try adding a bit more fat, and see how you feel. I personally can agree with Dr. Graham's idea that some (maybe many) raw foodists load up their diet with more than the recommended (by government standards even) amount of fat.

But, I personally believe you can go too far the other way, and not get enough fat.

• superfood2superfood2 Raw Newbie

I think more fruit will help. Don't limit your fruit!!

• thanks im not really sure what diet is right you know there are SO many out there and i just kinda get stressed i love raw vegan i will always be but to be honest i felt a bit better eating a little bit of fish when i was in transition mode.

but i will either try more fat or fruit i guess.

• swayzeswayze Raw Newbie

I have to agree: if you feel hungry, eat more sweet fruit! :)

Swayze

• Spekgirl,

It does get confusing, so many different "right ways." I would NOT rule out how you feel though. Don't just go by diets and books by experts. If you feel better eating something- maybe you need some nutrient from it (the fish), and this is coming from a vegetarian.

• thanks i dont know if 811 is for me has anyone tried it and its worked?

I've been eating a low fat, high fruit diet since late 2007. It definitely works for me!

There are plenty of others on this board that eat lfrv...AVL and superfood2, I believe. I'm sure they'll be around to add their 2 cents.

You should definitely check out Dr. Graham's board on www.vegsource.com and www.30bananasaday.com for more 811ers.

Good luck,

Swayze

• AVLAVL Raw Newbie

Thanks swayze for remembering!

Although I'm trying my best, I go through periods where I do really well, and then I might have a week here and there where I'm a little off track, but for the most part I am doing 80/10/10,

spekgirl, it's normal to be doubting yourself whether this is diet for you or not. I first tried the raw food diet a couple of years ago and completly failed at it. I was transitioning way too fast, basically going cold turkey with cooked foods. I think that's why I failed. That leas me to binge on cooked foods and become very frustrated, so I just gave up. I used to get really hungry a lot too and thought that I needed more protein in my diet (I was a huge protein fan, like chicken, soy, fish, etc).

I gave it another try back in May and this time I slowly weaned myself off cooked foods. I wasn't following 80/10/10 but I just getting used to eating a raw diet. So it was higher in fat and I included some grains. After 2 months of transition, I gave 80/10/10 another try. This time it was A LOT easier to do because my body had already adjusted to eating raw foods, so cutting cat on fat and grains wasn't a huge shock to my system.

So my recommendation is to gradually get into the raw food diet. If you go at it too fast your chances of succeeding long term are not as good as if you take your time. Maybe in order to curb your hunger, you can start off by having a raw breakfast and snack and eat as you would for the rest of the meals. Then after a few days add in a raw lunch & eventually a raw dinner. It might take weeks or even a few months before you are ready to physically & mentally be able to start 80/10/10, but I'm just basing it on my own experience. Everyone is different, so your body might adjust faster or slower.

I hope this helps a little :)

Keep us updated on your progress!

My recommendation that I think is most important is to always have ripe, fresh fruit around. Be mindful of stores around you and what kind of fruit they have and whether it's good and the prices. You can never have too much fruit on 80/10/10. :)

Get lots of rest in the beginning and do deep breathing or meditation to help the emotions detox.

• can anyone please tell me what vegetables i can eat freely with fruit i always like to have a salad with fruit for breakfast and dinner and i want to make sure that they combind well.

right now im having mushrooms,cucumber,celery,red pepper,tomato and spinach in my salads sometimes raw corn or cauliflower too also in my salads is 2 oranges and berries its this okay to combind?

• AVLAVL Raw Newbie

I always find that any green leafy vegetables mix well with fruit for me. Mushrooms don't seem to bother me either.

• thanks avl how do you know if something "bothers" you?

so do you think it will be okay to eat fruit with my salads? fruit with cabbage and mushrooms and zucchini?

• AVLAVL Raw Newbie

When something bothers me my stomach gets bloated and I'm gassy. But I tend to mix mango in my salads and it doesn't seem to bother me too much.

I think that cabbage naturally gives people gas, so if you mix tfruit with it, it would be difficult to know if the cabbage or the food combination caused the gas/bloating.

Do a few trials to see what your body tolerates.

• so maybe just dont eat the cabbage i might try that and see thank you :)

That sounds like too many different kinds of foods in the stomach at one time.

Red bell pepper and tomato - nonsweet fruits

Mushroom - fungus (not recommended on 80/10/10)

Spinach - tender leafy

Celery - fibrous vegetable, can eat with fruit

Cauliflower - cruciferous vegetable, do not eat with fruit

Corn - grain, do not eat with fruit

I'd do a spinach and celery salad with your berries and oranges.

• superfood2 could i do pepper and tom with berries and oranges?

I am not totally comprehensive of food combining, but my understanding is that it's not ideal. That said, you can certainly do it!!! See how you feel. :)

All right, "comprehensive" wasn't the right word but i hope that makes a little sense.

• zinfandelzinfandel Raw Newbie

that combo should be good. green peppers are not fully ripe though, so red/green/orange ones are best.

That combo sounds fine to me. Most veggies combine well with almost all sweet fruits (and fatty foods, for matter), due to the high water content and low amounts of simple sugars. Tender greens, bell pepper, cucumber, tomatoes, zucchini, yellow squash, etc. all combine nicely with sweet juicy fruits like oranges, peaches, even mangoes.

I would watch out for cruciferous veggies like broccoli and kale and starchy produce like corn and peas as these are a bit more difficult to digest.

HTH,

Swayze