Skin blemishes... detoxing?

So I have been on a mostly raw diet (around 70% or so right now) but I have been 100% vegan for about 4 or 5 days... I'm starting to notice my skin is breaking out, and I usually have pretty good skin, I might get a small breakout once a month or so. But my skin right now has several bumps and blemishes popping up out of nowhere. It seems logical that toxins would be expelled through our skin, so I wonder if perhaps this is a sign that this change in eating is helping to rid my body of toxins? I'd like to know if this could be the case or if I need to change my skincare routine a bit...\\t

Thanks!!

LynziMarie

xoxo

Comments

• I would say that yes your body is getting rid of stuff via your skin. Keep your skincare products as raw as possible.

K x

• zinfandelzinfandel Raw Newbie

My skin has been breaking out a lot lately. I suppose better out than in. I've been doing some short fasts and I am broken out after those too. I am going to hopefully keep fasting until my skin turns clear. It's worth it to me.

• it's absolutely worth it to me too! haha

• camiheartsrawcamiheartsraw Raw Newbie

What kind of skin care products, shampoo, and detergent do you use? This could be detoxing, but I noticed as I started getting on a better diet and getting rid of the stuff I was allergic to, my skin got worse! It was confusing - but it was like my body said, "OK, I don't have to deal with the stuff you are putting IN your body - so I'm going to start telling you to stop putting this garbage ON me!"

I found out I'm allergic to parabens and reactive to sodium lauryl sulfites. They are good to stop using anyways - the stuff is pretty toxic and can mimic hormones which cause - surprise! - breakouts. Ballard Soaps, Biokleen, castille soaps, and Jason are all good brands to look into. I still would read labels, but they should be paraben free (this include methylparabens, etc. as parabens go under several names) and sodium lauryl sulfite (SLS) free. Perfume/fragrance is also a bad thing I avoid at all costs.

IMHO it makes sense to put as much effort into avoiding toxins we put on and around ourselves as we put into what we eat.

• I've had issues with my skin since I became vegan 6 months ago also and done quite a bit of surfing to find some answers. An alternative to fasting: try eating celery and drinking lots of alkalized water. Raw celery is high in fiber so it will help clear out toxins. You can alkalize your water by adding 1 tablespoon of lemon or lime juice to every liter of water. The vitamin C in the lemon/lime helps to detoxify the body. There are also supplements you may want to consider: zinc citrate 40mg and Chromium 800mcg. Personally, I also have to take a probiotic daily, and whenever I've tried to stop my t-zone flares back up. Typically a 5 billion active culture of Acidophilus is the recommendation to maintain a healthy tract. Hope this helps, I know how frustrating it is when we're trying to be so healthy.

Great health and beautiful skin to everyone!

• superfood2superfood2 Raw Newbie

I have had breakouts this past week or two as well and not just hormonal. I'm thinking the weather change but not sure if that's right for everyone. I also wasn't getting enough sleep (have loud neighbors). I'm working on getting my skin back to beautiful!

• superfood2superfood2 Raw Newbie

Green juices definitely do help!