Portland, OR

susan121susan121 Raw Newbie

HEY! Just moved to Portland and not sure where to go to indulge my raw habits... checked into the farmer's markets here (which are only open for a couple more weeks), found a cool co-op (People's Food), etc.... but if anyone is from Portland can you steer me in the right direction in terms of where to find the best stuff?? Thanks!

Comments

• Welcome to Portland! This is a great city to live in, hope you are liking it so far. I would like to know where people are going in Portland as well. I like to have my own garden which is in my opinion the best stuff I can get, although I didn't have a garden this year. = ( Now that I don't have my garden going I find myself in stores that are not supporting our local growers which isn't great.

If you are looking for a place to go out and eat the Blossoming Lotus has some great options.

• Hey! Welcome to Portland!!!! Latley i have found everything I need at People's Co Op, as far as non produce things, they are hidden, but they have an amazing selection of raw stuff. If you want your organic produce delivered we use to use Organics To You, they are a pretty awesome company. But now that we live in SE, we usually go to fruit stands, or Limbos. Also New Seasons has good produce. Right now we have been living off the produce from the Fruit Loop around Mount Hood.

Did you go to the Raw Food Potluck today at Peoples? I haven't been yet but I heard its great.

• Oh my goodness. You have to try the Blossoming Lostus. Its a mostly raw restaurant in the Pearl District. So amazing!!!!

• susan121susan121 Raw Newbie

Thanks everyone! No, I haven't tried Blossoming Lotus yet, but I can't wait to! I actually had a great, incredible, amazing salad at Cha Cha Cha on Hawthorne, though... blew my mind! Avocados on the west coast are just incomparable to the ones I got back on the east coast. Maybe it's the shipping time? Idk, but they are great!

No, I didn't go to the raw meetup at People's... maybe next time it comes around I'll go, and you guys should come too! I'm not 100% raw or 100% vegan, so I'm not sure how that would go over there, but it would be worth it to meet people. Raw foodists always know where to find the best produce... and in the winter, I have a feeling I'm going to need some help finding the good stuff.

So far, I'm loving Portland. We actually have a pretty decent garden in the back yard, along with some fruit trees. I absolutely could not believe kiwis grow in the pacific northwest, but hey, life is full of surprises. There are also incredible raspberries here, too. I'll let you guys know if I find anything cool!

• kellyannekellyanne Raw Newbie

hi! i used to live in portland. i miss it! not sure if you go through a lot of produce, but my boyfriend and i are frugivores and we go through cases of organic fruit. we set up an account with an organic produce distributor called organically grown company in clackamas (http://www.organicgrown.com/) and saved 30-50% buying bulk produce from them. we used to shop at new seasons, limbos, and people's co-op for organic produce but it was just getting too expensive. i've had accounts with produce distributors all over and organically grown company (ogc) was by far the best for prices and selection. hope this helps!