Best way to gently warm food

What is the best way to gently warm food other than using a dehydrator; i've read using a double boiler or putting it in oven on very low temp (less than 100). I'm looking for the easiest & safest way to warm (without destroying enzymes).

Feedback & specifics will be so appreciated! :) For the double boiler--do you bring the water to boil or just heat it on medium heat? If you set the oven temp under 100 how reliable is that (probably depends on the oven)?

I made some marinated portobello mushrooms yesterday that I gently warmed in the oven--delicious!

Comments

• I would be interested to know what kind of dehydrator people are using, with Christmas getting closer that is my chance to ask for one as a gift = )

I am not able to warm in my oven because the lowest temp available on my oven is 170, which is not going to work.

• juicefastfanjuicefastfan Raw Newbie

When I "gently warm" things, especially raw soup in the winter...I use the double-boiler method. In the bottom pan, I bring the water to a rolling boil, I then take it off the heat and place the top pan (or glass bowl or whatever you are using) on top of the bottom pan, and continually stir it. I, also, use a food thermometer to keep an eye on it, when it gets just above or close to the 100 degree mark I'm done! I know you can go a little higher than 100 but there are some substances that retain heat and can raise a few more degrees even after its removed from the heat source and I'm satisfied with "warm" vs "hot" soup. =)

• FeeFee Raw Master

You can buy a thing called a porringer which is basically a double boiler with the two pans made to fit together. I would like one for Christmas. Sometimes I warm my food in a bowl over the saucepan I am boiling my OH's vegies or pasta in. The only problem is the bowl can get too hot to hold.

• Tx for the feedback! They have a double boiler at BedBathandBeyond I'm going to get for this purpose. I've already got the thermometer.

Sometimes I just need a little warmth! :)