Lemon Bars

So before I experiment and make it up as I go along (which I have to admit sounds fun) I was wondering if anyone has a great Lemon Square recipe. I'm not talking granola style bars or anything like that. I've had this delicious Lemon Square at a raw restaurant and I wanna try & replicate it. It's closer to a keylime or lemon pie because it definatley has a nutty crust with a creamy lemony filling. I'm almost certain the filling is made with macadamia nuts...yum

any suggestions would be great

craving in Chicago

xoxo

Comments

• sv3sv3 Raw Newbie

Um, Ani Phyo has a Lemon Coconut Bar recipe which is made from almonds, dates, vanilla bean, juice and zest of a lemon, drid coconut and a pinch of salt.

I have been meaning to make them for ages but not got around to it yet.

Dunno if this helps at all!

• joannabananajoannabanana Raw Newbie

sv3, i think ani's bar would be an excellent base since it's chewy. the kind of lemon filling in a lemon square is like curd. i'm thinking you could pulse mango, lemon juice, lemon zest, dates, and macadamias in the food processor. that would be creamy, but still have that jelly type consistency.

• sv3sv3 Raw Newbie

That sounds great Joanna! Good thinking.

• juicefastfanjuicefastfan Raw Newbie

Ohhh, that sounds good! My mom used to make Lemon Squares when I was a lil one, they were totally SAD, right down to the powdered sugar sprinkled on top but ohhh soooo good. I never even thought to try a raw version. I may have to steal this idea Ofaniel :D Thanks for posting!!

• So I experimented and have to say I was quite happy with the results...you know youve made something good when youre licking the processor bowling clean, hahahaha. Kept it real simple, was delicious!!!!

For filling:

macadamias

lemon juice

lime juice

lemon rind

agave

coconut oil

for crust:

walnuts

dates

• have you considered using irish moss or aloe vera as a thickener?

it might have that "jelly" texture.

• Chef ShuannaChef Shuanna Raw Newbie

I love lemon anything. To me it sounds more fun to experiment on your own but I love doing that stuff so I dunno!

What you got going on sounds amazing. I shall give it a whirl when I am done fasting.

Cheers!

• Dream,

what kind of fast you on? My Raw adventure started after a fast actually, I do the Master Cleanse every year and this year decided to do seasonal cleansing. After my Summer to Fall cleanse I thought I would eat raw for a bit to ease back into eating but I loved raw so much it's stuck...45 days later here I am.....

Ps: I too love anything lemony the more tang the better

• This sounds gorgeous, thank you for the idea.

• Dancin DurianDancin Durian Raw Newbie

Hey! If you are not against it, I like to add buckwueat ground up finely to the crust. This adds a touch of dry-ness that is remnisant of cooked cookie crust. Also, I think that a touch of vanilla extract makes all the difference! And the zest of the lemens and limes really makes it pop also! I like to add dried cocnut blended with a touch of coconut butter. It is very creamy. That is all...