jalapeno virgin

jenergyjenergy Raw Newbie

That’s me… I’ve just bought my very first jalapeno, and I’m a little afraid of it. I have the ingredients for fresh salsa – garden tomatoes, cilantro, onions, and now a scary jalapeno. How much of it should I use to start with? I like spicy foods, but not burn-your-tastebuds-off foods. Hehehe!

writeeternity, I followed your recipe for corn cakes and they’re dehydrating right now. Well, they’re actually more like corn blobs. ;o) The mixture tasted heavenly, so I’m not going to be too picky about how the texture turns out. I added some cumin to it, too. So I want to have them tonight with fresh salsa and guac, maybe some olives. Mmmmm! I can’t wait!

Any jalapeno advice would be appreciated. I know about washing my hands after handling it, but other than that bit of lore I’m in the dark. I feel like I’m going to be handling a live bomb or something. Hahaha!!

Comments

• Grab some gloves and slice off the stem. Then slice it in half lengthwise and you will be able to scrape out the seeds/membrane easily. As for heat levels, they vary. You may have one that is very, very mild, then the next one might be hot. Start with half. It’s better to have a batch not hot enough than one you can’t eat because it’s too hot.

• germin8germin8 Raw Master

You forgot the lime! It goes well with the ingredients you mentioned.

If you get the jalape

• I was going to say what germin8 said, haha.

I LOVE jalapenoes! But I’m a freak for hot, spicy things, even halbaneroes ;) I eat them right from the bush. Also, one time my aunt and I soaked some sliced ones in lemon and lime juice and ate them that way!

• Hi Jenergy! That’s cool that you are trying the corn cakes! My boyfriend loved them. The top gets dry first and they are like polenta after 5 hours- but it also depends how thick you did them.

I did mine in little cups so the sides didn’t get any air. I also greased the cups with coconut oil. It didn’t really help though.

I love jalepenos! We went to Renosa Mexico when I was a kid and I could have eaten Mexican from then on.

My boyfriend made some of his “dry salsa” for my mom the other day and she said “It tastes like there is gunpowder in here!” So if you are not ready for it- pow!

The dry salsa has onions, lettuce, cilantro, tomatoes, and jalepenos chopped finely. He makes a big bowl and we can keep it in the fridge for a few days to put on top of anything! I had the walnut taco meat with it one day and made macadamia nut sour cream.

It sounds like fun! I like mine marinated in vinegar better- it also keeps them from going bad in the fridge. Try raspberry vinegar- my new favorite. You can also steep them in oil for a few days with garlic and then just use the oil for things.

• writeeternity, I never thought of steeping them in oil and garlic! I think I’m going to do a little batch of that today =)

• writeeternity – i didnt see your corn cakes on your recipe list … could you give me the link please? or Jenergy if you have it? thank you!

• Hi Magdi! http://www.goneraw.com/recipes/1155-Corn-Pie-wi…

Here is the recipe- it’s the top ingredients up to the mushrooms.

I think I used about 6 ears of corn. I was mentioning in another thread that if you dehydrated them more like 8 to 14 hours they’d be more like cake. Mine had a hard top and a warm mushy inside and I topped it with mushrooms. That pic I posted didn’t give it justice!

I also made a salsa that had a tomatillo, and some of the red and orange pepper in it. Habanero and red jalepeno- and that made it for me and looked nice in orange drops on the plate.

• jenergyjenergy Raw Newbie

Well, the corn blobs came out deeeeelicious… but I didn’t make the salsa. I ran out of energy and motivation last night after working all day, making dinner for hubby and son, taking son to swimming lessons, doing some laundry, doing the dishes, etc., etc., heh. I just ate some corn cakes with avocado and fresh tomatoes instead. It was quite tasty! They were kind of gooey in the middle, so I put them back in the dehydrator overnight and this morning I have more like great big corn chips than corn cakes. Now they’re chewy and tasty! I’ll attempt the salsa this weekend when I have more time to experiment and let you all know how it goes.

Jen