Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Getting out of a binge

2»

Comments

• joannabananajoannabanana Raw Newbie

luxdivon, excellent job!! i would pick peanut butter over any old sandwich, too. i'm definitely a sweets person.

ianpenk, i found these websites to be very helpful.

http://1stholistic.com/nutrition/hol_nutr-def-symptoms.htm

http://www.naturopathyworks.com/pages/cravings.php

• AVLAVL Raw Newbie

Cool sites joannanana! I really like the one that explains what your body is missing when you are craving certain things, like sweets or salty foods.

• AW Liger! i know exactly what u mean my friend. ive recently come to the raw lifestyle from regular vegetarianism. i ate eggs occasionally and drank skim milk thinking that was the best route.upon my transition to the raw lifestyle i felt deprived. i felt that i didnt have a vitamix, dehydrator or juicer then i certainly will be up the proverbial creek.i equated it to attending church every single day even on friday and saturday when i've rather been at the club dancing it up and lettin loose.

i became over demanding on my self.the best advice i read was slow down.its no race here. you have the rest of your life.enjoy the process.i still have a vegetarian burrito once a month or so as long as i take a few plant based enzymes before hand.i still feel vibrant without the self imposed guilt of feeling like ive violated some supreme law of rigidity.maybe you should try shooting for a 50%raw 50% cooked then progress toward a 70-30 raw to cooked food ratio then 80-20 and so on till you've reached 100% raw lifestyle.i can see you're a strong disciplinarian when it comes to your own self improvement endeavors which is great as long as its tempured with flexability. sites like this one is a tremendous help! thats for certain. . good luck to you.

• liger99liger99 Raw Newbie

thanks guys! Your support is amazing! I'm really trying not to be too hard on myself. I eat as much raw as I possibly can, and then if I really want...like...REALLY want it, I may have something cooked. Maybe potatoes, or last night I dipped raw veggies in organic mustard...that was really good. I'm trying to be flexable right now. I'll just tighten it up when I'm ready. I have to remember, "Go with the flow." The more I try to force something, the more hurt I end up being.

I have another question. I recently heard that it's not optimal to eat before 10 AM or after 7 PM. What are your thoughts on this?

• luxdivonluxdivon Raw Newbie

Thanks everybody! I was most surprised that even as much as i really wanted it, it was actually pretty easy to put it back. I do realize what it was that i was craving protein + salt. So I was actually a bit disappointed when we jimmy convinced me to go for the no salt peanut butter (from pure peanuts). i really missed the salt! all and all i guess i didn't really need it for my body, and i didn't overeat the peanut butter, which was nice, but i sure did miss it.

Hey Liger, i think the method your doing sounds great, and i think you'll be able to sustain that alot better, as long as you can keep your head in that frame of mind. Hell don't even worry about how soon you become more rigid. If anything, i realized that by not being rigid i make this lifestyle really sustainable, and can maintain my super awesome 115 lbs that i haven't been since college!. as long as i can stay even 75% raw, I will stay here, and not at 135 pounds. i'm not a weight fanatic, but it is awesome that even if i eat a cooked meal, that it doesn't throw off all the benefits of eating the other two meals raw. And when I eat cooked sweet potatoes with just a tsp of butter (like i did last night), along with some raw broccoli with raw pesto it's like I get to eat a whole chocolate cake! Every cooked meal I eat, I throughly enjoy. And without the guilt, I can easily choose raw, because It really does make me feel great. Liger does eating raw make you feel great? It's almost as if i get to have my cake, and eat it too! LOL. tis all a matter of perspective

• juicefastfanjuicefastfan Raw Newbie

Liger, have you ever tried journaling to see if certain emotions lead up to a day of binging? It may help to see if certain emotions trigger a binge, or following a binge what emotions you are experiencing. I love to journal because it seems to open up something inside and i can articulate the emotions I'm feeling much more clearly than being able to talk about them. Maybe next time you have the urge to binge, you could sit down with a notebook and just start free writing, as fast as you can, no "thinking" about it, just start pouring your heart out "I want to binge right now because..." see what comes to mind. I was pretty surprised at what I would write down when I started doing this for anxiety issues I was having. It really helps to have an outlet to get all those emotions and thoughts out.

• sv3sv3 Raw Newbie

Oh yeah, free writing is a good one for getting your true feelings out. I've done this a couple of times when I've been feeling upset and it's amazing what pours out and how therapeutic it feels.

• Dancin DurianDancin Durian Raw Newbie

Liger99! I love to eat my vegg with a bit of moustard also! I thin it out with fresh chooped dill and a litte raw sweetener, to make it like a honeydill moustard! Then it has the nice healing qualities of dill. If you want to be raw forever, you don't ahve to fallow everything to the letter, it has to work for your life, or you will get frusterated and give up far easier. Keep on trucken!

luxdivon, I love being raw!

I feel so good when I eat raw foods, and I'm done with feeling guilty if I eat a little cooked. Last night, I had cooked spinach, broc., cauliflower, and potatoes. And I didn't overeat. I stopped when I wasn't hungry anymore. That's healing right there. The old me would just eat and eat and eat, until her tummy hurt. Not anymore. I'm done with having an eating disorder, I'm ready to get better. Thank you guys so much. Your help, support, and encouragement is really motivating?

Do any of you guys run?

• AVLAVL Raw Newbie

Ya, I run liger 99

AVL, have you ever experienced a 'lull' in your running? What I mean is, have you ever just 'stopped' for a couple weeks. Maybe its lack of motivation, time, etc, but I really want to start running again. Also, Nov. 1 (Sunday) I'm going to start back on full raw. I've been away far too long, lol.

• AVLAVL Raw Newbie

November 1st is my birthday and I would really want to start over again. I was close to 100% raw for a few months this summer, but I've been eating more cooked foods and cheese this past month and I feel like crap. So the present I am giving myself is eating raw (I really hope that I can do it, there are so many bad influences at work that I have to resist).

I tend to work out everyday because I know that if I take a day off, then it can turn into 2 then 3 and more days off. I haven't taken a day off in 6 months. It's not like I run every day, but I alternate between running and jumping rope. I really enjoy it. I do it first thing in the morning and I find that it wakes me up and gives me more energy for the rest of the day.

Same here. Right now, all I want to do is eat SAD food. But, I can make it through this. I will be raw. =]

And, I'm going running tomorrow. I'm so excited!

• AVLAVL Raw Newbie

Yay! Good for you :)

You'll see, when you start and get into a routine, you will get used to it and will want to keep running/exercising. It's also motivating when you eat raw and have tons of energy.

I found that in the summer I ate a lot less energy than I do now. I never would have thought that I could run as much as I did because I didn't think that I would have enough fuel for my body. Now that I eat more and more cooked foods, I often feel sluggish during my runs and they feel more like a chore.

Good luck with your run tomorrow :)

• sv3sv3 Raw Newbie

It's funny, I daren't go for more than a couple of days without running as I never want to get our of the routine. I get such a buzz from exercise that I don't want to stop and loose my motivation.

I went on holiday in Sept so didn't run for over a week and ate so much SAD food. My God - it was hard getting my fitness back up after that.

hehe.. i keep trying to make it past the first day with yoga. I love it, and i want to do it. But getting out of bed in the morning an hour early, is like an ant pulling a brick to it's hole. That's about what it feels like. I imagine if i could even do it, or remember to go to bed early, or make some kind of bet with myself, I could get into a routine, and i would love it. It's so very hard to get to that place, those first couple week are &^%$. haha. my only other fear of course is that I've started doing kundalini (that's the kind of yoga i did) At some point if you continue a person has a kundalini experience which i've read can be really rough. I'm not sure i'm ready for rough. We will see if i can change even more, and wake up, do yoga, break the cycle yet again, getting closer yet to my real self.

• sv3sv3 Raw Newbie

luxdivon, what do you mean by a 'kundalini experience'? I've recently been getting into kundalini and find it amazing.

Would love to hear why it can get rough?

• Hey this is Luxdivon (sorry was under my fiancee's account) you know sv3, i'm just starting to explore myself. So from what I know: It's kind of a energetic awakening. Through breath and awareness the kundalini works through all your chakras clearing out blocks. With the awakening it's like a pure connect with the God-Force, universal force. Because you are one with the God Source you lose your concept of "you" as a separate entity. This can make a person feel confused, unsure of what is reality and what is not. It seems to be important to only experience this as a healthy balanced individual. Once the kundalini is awakened then it seems as if you cannot hide from your inadequacies. It is a strong power. It is the creative well tapped from the unconscious that sits at the base of your spine. So i guess being such a powerful force, it naturally has it's pros and cons of adjusting and assimilating into your body. I do want to get there at some point. I just do not know when I will be ready. It seems to bring up a great deal of emotional material. So you experience periods of bliss and elation, and periods of depression and disconnect. One thing I do know, is that it is not a smart idea to awaken the kundalini without good cause, or to awaken it by forcing it through your 7th chakra, when you haven't worked through the lower chakras. It MUST be handled with care, or it, with its power greater than you, could very definitely destroy you. The ultimate power to create or destroy. I guess it's like tapping into that. I really haven't read that much yet, it'd probably be better to watch some youtube videos about people that have experienced it, to see if what i'm saying here matches up. We'll have to share our experiences if we do happen to have them! I love when i do yoga how the energy can just blast through all the tension and stress to pure joy. :)

• sv3sv3 Raw Newbie

Thanks Luxdivon, that's very interesting. I first experienced kundalini whilst on a raw food/yoga retreat and really loved it. Every session left me feeling high, totally at peace and almonst in tears (from joy). Was quite a strange experience but our teacher was brilliant.

After the retreat, I got 'Yoga Beginners and Beyond' by Ana Brett & Ravi Singh, which is ok but obviously not as good as being with an actual instructor. I've not practiced in a while as I've been so busy but really should make time.

It's strange what you said about 'periods of bliss and elation, and periods of depression and disconnect' because I have recently been feeling quite down and wonder if it's because I have stopped practicing.

I always feel far more mentally sound when I've been doing yoga.

Will definitely do some more reading up on kundalini.

yes i also have a dvd of ana & Ravi. I have one with the chakras, and another that has a dance section. I like the chakra one, and the meditation part of the dance one. it would be crazy to have an instructor experience, as even with the video, I feel a definite difference after i'm finished. It seems possible you could be feeling down if you were doing yoga regularly and now are not as much. If i get the guts at the end of the night tonight, I'm going to not change my clocks, haven't changed them yet, and wake up at that time, so I have a full hour for yoga before my daily routine. who knows, we'll see if it works. it's gotta a better shot than any other time of the year. And if i can just into a rhythm, i'm almost positive i'll continue doing it. and tell me anything you read about kundalini as well :) cheers.

• Its the coolest feeling when you have this on going burst of energy!! its like having a new high octane body and you're constantly saying to yourself "ok, lets see what this baby can do!" haha.its definitely a freeing experience.so i would say hold on to that feeling. every aspect of it when you feel the urge to binge. running is a great release especially if you live in a warmer part of the country where you can stay outdoors and off the dreaded treadmill.yoga is wonderful as well.the two dvds i check out to really fire me up are "origins of yoga-quest for the spiritual" and "the yoga gurus" two very informative dvds on yoga and the yoga lifestyle..plus anything from the jivamukti center is great as well.either way,youre gonna do/ be great Liger and im excited to see where your quest takes you!!

I JUST started EFT and I love it! I feel so much...better? Cleaner? Relieved? now that I've started. Whatever I feel, it feels good! Do any of you guys use EFT, and has it helped you stay raw?

• AVLAVL Raw Newbie

ARGH, horrible day bingeing on crappy cooked foods at work again (bagels, muffins & crackers)

Then I went to Costco and I think that I had every sample there (minus the ones with meat). I feel so bloated and full. Usually after I binge I would exercise to burn it off, but I'm so exhausted and I feel so full that I can't even move. Eventhough I feel like I can't even put another single piece of food in my mouth I still want to eat more. I HATE days like that. I just want tomorrow to come in order to feel better and start fresh. I had done so well all week, so totally messed up today :(

AVL,I feel your pain. I told myself to be raw all week, and as soon as I let down my guard...BAM. I haven't really binged too bad, and I don't plan on it. It just...sucks. I need my therapist. I need to get down to the bottom of why I binge

Liger, i'm so glad you're having a positive experience with it. I have been using it along with meditation, and i think its an amazing tool for self discovery/ issue resolution. It's awesome when you realize you Can Be Relieved. I need to go do some mediation/eft before bed i think. I'm all tense, and I need to let some of it go! Best Wishes.

im trying, but this week I felt like I was breathing underwater. I binged almost everyday this week and last. Im done. Its so scary, and on top of depression, I feel almost hopeless. There is a light though. If anyone has any advice, please comment here or email me at bethany.cluff@yahoo.com. I need support like none other. Its very tiring being alone.

Sorry for the depressing post.

=]

• liger99, i'm so sorry you're in this dark place now. remember you're not alone. so many of us are struggling with the same thing. this past weekend i binged and feel awful today - so frustrated by this cycle, wondering if i'll ever be able to break it. it's encouraging to read these posts and remind myself that this is a struggle for lots of us. after a binge i try to stay positive, keep loving/ accepting myself completely (which others have also mentioned here), and focus my energies on GOOD things. like "hey, as soon as this bad stuff is out of my system, i'm going to make a yummy mango smoothie!" or something. remember the great power you have to redirect your thoughts where you want them to go - you can start right now if you want! we support you and we know you'll be doing great in no time! big hug :)

Thank you. Im really pumped about getting healthy. I thought about binging again today, and then thought back on how bad I feel afterwards. This is my life. I want to THRIVE not just SURVIVE