Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Fermented??

In need of some delicious fermented recipes... Anyone?? I have been making yogurt, yum, but want more variety.

Thanks!!

Comments

• Chef ShuannaChef Shuanna Raw Newbie

I ditto this post. I am looking for some nummy stuff people like to ferment......

http://www.myrawconsciousness.blogspot.com

• LilEarthMuffinLilEarthMuffin Raw Newbie

Im actually really curious about fermented foods, ive never done it but i have some cabbage that i want to try to ferment but im not sure how.

• juicefastfanjuicefastfan Raw Newbie

I try to incorporate fermented foods in my diet at least once a week, it may not be for everybody but I love how much my digestion has improved by adding this natural source of good bacteria into my diet.

This is the method I use for sauerkraut (which I throw on salads and LOVE on raw sandwiches, it adds such a yummy tangy zing!) I'm just going to copy it word for word out of my recipe book (sorry for any typos...Im nursing my baby right now =)

Red or green cabbage, or a combination of the two, may be used to make sauerkraut. Remove outer leaves and set aside about 8 leaves. Finely chop about 4 heads of cabbage and set aside. In a food processor, using the S blade, feed another 4 heads of cabbage through the feeding tube to create a very fine mush. This also can be accomplished by processing through the Green Star or Champion juicer using the blank instead of the screen. (Ive done it both ways, the food processor is a bit faster, the champion breaks it down into more of a finer mush, end results have been pretty similar)

Combine all cabbage. Place about 4 inches of the cabbage mixture in a crock, and sprinkle with a tablespoon of kelp powder and a layer of wakame. Continue to layer until all of the cabbage is used. Cover with the whole cabbage leaves, which were set aside at the beginning of the recipe. Wipe down the sides of the crock or glass container so that they are clean (this helps to prevent spoilage).

Place a plate over the leaves and weight it down with jars filled with water. Cover with a clean dish towel, move to a cool, dark place and allow it to work for approximately five to seven days, depending on temperature (the warmer the temperature, the faster the cabbage will work).

When the sauerkraut has fermented, remove jars and plate. Discard the cabbagde leaves from the top and remove any residue which may be on the sides of the container or on the top layer of kraut. Place the kraut in a glass container to be stored in the refrigerator until needed. Sauerkraut will keep about a month if stored properly.

For variation, add any of the following to your kraut when preparing it: Grated carrots, dill weed, chopped scallions, chopped red onions, garlic cloves (this is my fave! just don't kiss anyone after you eat it 'cus whooo you will have some strong smelling breath!), grated beets, celery slices or apple pieces (I'm going to be trying this one in a few days, my supply from about 3 weeks ago is just about gone).

I haven't really tried to ferment anything else so far, but I use this "recipe" often. Hope this helps! =)

• have_merseyhave_mersey Raw Newbie

I've been wondering... Is it possible to keep Piima yogurt cultures alive on vegan milks? It seems there ought to be a way to adapt these things.

• I'd say it'd be worth a shot. I've accidentally lacto-fermented sprouted buckwheat and it was very delicious, tasted like kefir. Just avoid it if it turns any weird color, I've been fermenting alot of novel things in the past year or so and my general rule of thumb is if it looks like it molded then don't eat it.

• NyahzNyahz Raw Newbie

I've brewed Kombucha, it's pretty simple, cheap, but I could never get consistent batches. If you make your own, never ever abandon it....or the fruit flies will invade!

Does anyone have any experience with brewing Kefir? That's something I'd like to try fermenting

• SuasoriaSuasoria Raw Newbie

Kimchi! Yum.

• KImchi!! Its just that when I make it, it usually turns out so nice that I eat if before it manages to ferment.. So I usually end up eating my Korean flatmate's shop bought kimchi.

• have_merseyhave_mersey Raw Newbie

I love Kim-Chi but my roommates don't like to smell garlic seeping off me. :( haha I'm making some today. MMMM! I think fermented cabbage feels the best of all the fermented foods I eat. I suppose do to the large amounts of lacto bacilli. YUM!

• I've got a gallon of kombucha in the works right now.

• The best best fermentation book ever is WILD FERMENTATION, go buy it!!! It covers everything from kombucha, yogurt, veggie ferments( sauerkraut, pickles, kimchi) , bean ferments (such as miso and tempeh), different breads, ogi (african millet porridge) and wine (such as raw honey wine) and cider, and beer, its an amazing book