Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Flax Seed

I am having trouble grinding my flax. It keeps binding down everything I put it in and still has a massive amount of whole seeds in it. I have used my Vita-mix, food processor, coffee grinder, and magic bullet. Should I dehydrate them first?

Comments

• Are you soaking them? I wouldn't. I've never had a problem grinding dry flax in my coffee grinder.

Good luck!

• I've ground dry flax in a cheap coffee grinder several times. Hmmm, are you by chance overloading it (way too much at one time)?

• Try Blendtec it literally will blend it perfectly each time or into powder or dust or whatever consistency. Their patent pended single blade is genius and is the best blade and blender that can do this in seconds, there are videos of it blending iPhones, food, other things on YouTube.com if you enter "Will it blend" into the YouTube search box. I have videos showing it blending seeds, nuts, flax seeds too I think somewhere if not I can post it...I don't even own a food processor because Blendtec does it all and I have not found ANY other machine that performs or does things that Blendtec can. I guarantee if you blend or "grind" flax seeds in a Blendtec it will come out perfect and the way you want it every time. Because it is patent pended they are the ONLY ones with the special single blade design no other blender will or can have it, and it also keeps from food and ingredients from hiding, getting stuck or being wasted like all other blenders with 3 or 4 prong designs...Blendtec is the BEST give it a try...

• Also I found the best way is grinding them dry, in a Blendtec! If there was a better or easier way I would have found it...

• I agree rawbryan! I have a blendtec and am so in love with it.. it's amazing.

• GlitterGirlGlitterGirl Raw Newbie

Is ground flax and flax meal the same? I have two recipes I want to try and one calls for ground, the other for meal - could I just buy it already ground down??

• SuasoriaSuasoria Raw Newbie

You can certainly buy ground flax meal, but it's much cheaper to grind it yourself (my $10 coffee grinder does just fine) and it's also more nutritious when it's fresh ground.

• How do you store whole flax seeds? Do you refrigerate them or in a jar in the pantry?

• SuasoriaSuasoria Raw Newbie

I keep the seeds in the fridge and the ground flax in a baggie in the freezer. I don't know why. Someone told me that and I believed them!

• I store my ground flax seeds in the freezer too.. I thought that was because flax seeds can go rancid quickly once they have been ground into meal?

I also only grind dry flax seeds. But if you soak them you can make raw crackers and stuff.

• Question; if the flax seeds are grinded dry- do you still consider it raw food?

I mean if its soaked it starts to come alive filled with enzymez..

If you soak Flax powder will it do the same??

• it has to be a whole seed for the enzymes to activate.

• bittbitt Raw Newbie

I agree with raw Bryan, I use my blendtec and it grinds it better even than the store-bought ground flax.

If you really are stuck, tons of places sell it already ground. Just make sure they are refrigerating it.

I agree probably unsoaked flax is not "live" but very digestible and very good for you still if you are not too particular. I use both.

• I use ground flax a fair bit. I agree, grind it dry or not at all. It's great to add little amounts into mixtures of other stuff to bind and/or give a nice gooey texture.

• Unrelated but for all you Blendtec users - what model are you using? I'm looking into purchasing one and am wondering which one to go for.

• LilEarthMuffinLilEarthMuffin Raw Newbie

I grid flax seeds into flax meal all the time using my magic bullet - it works perfect everytime!

http://lilearthmuffin.wordpress.com/

• Moulinex blender with a dry mill- works fine for me

. Becoming a great fan of smoothies for breakfast!

• Flaxseeds really are so great. I love that you can add them to almost anything. There is a great article here at http://www.theflaxseedstore.com/flaxseed_benefits which discusses 50 Flaxseed Benefits & Facts.

• powerliferpowerlifer Raw Newbie

They are good but shouldnt be overconsumed they are goitrogenic plus a very rich source of phyto-estrogens which can interfere with thyroid function if large amounts are consumed.

• eechoeecho Raw Newbie

What are large amounts?

• powerliferpowerlifer Raw Newbie

A little flaxseed here and there isnt going to effect anyone with sufficient iodine intake to counter out the goitrogenic effect.

Gourmet raw uses flaxseed in quite alot of recipes so if your eating flax with most meals id say that might be excessive. But only excessive if you aren't balancing out with sufficient iodine.